Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Are there decent entry-level wireless mechanical keyboards?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a tactile keyboard (probably Cherry Browns, though I'm probably going to either poke at some browns & clears in Best Buy or grab a cheap sampler off Amazon first), but I'd really prefer that it be wireless. My desk has enough cords and I'm trying to improve things.

I'd also like it to be a full board (arrow keys, separate numpad, function keys, and volume up/down/mute keys).

Color isn't a big deal, but no backlighting. I'm not worried about any wireless lag or anything, since I'll primarily be using it for work & non-intensive gaming (Civ 6, CK3, League, various roguelikes, Witcher, etc.).

e: Actually, the Logitech G613 wireless looks similar to what I'd want (though I don't really need the G keys), for about $150? Are there switch samplers for the Romer G-Tactile keys? I'd like to see how they feel before buying something. Though if Logitech's return policy is decent I guess that'd work.

(Minor bonus points because I'm currently using an MK 270 keyboard and an MX mouse, so I guess it'd stay in the all-logitech family. And being able to swap between devices would be handy since I sometimes hook my work laptop up to my home monitor. Though I guess I'd need to get a wireless card or USB dongle for the home PC.)

e2: And it's currently $75 on Amazon? That's not a whole lot more than the $20 for a keycap sampler.

e4: Oh, it has a weird wrist rest. Ugh. It might technically be more ergonomic but I'm not inclined to gamble on something like that.

e5: After reading some pages in the thread, the Romers are terrible?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Durgod Taurus is a great starter MK.

Don’t buy the gaming brands, it’s marked up pricing for low quality.

Thanks, I'll take a gander. The Durgod Taurus on kprepublic only has a USB-c connector. Is there one with wireless? That's pretty important to me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

minor pushback to this: while I find the featureset, build quality, and price of my Keychron delightful, the Gateron Brown switches feel real bad compared to actual Cherry Brown switches (which already tend to be a bit love-it-or-hate-it) - not nearly as much bump, making them almost feel like lightweight linear keys :(

that said, I've heard the Gateron Blues are a lot better, and I'm kinda curious about the LK Optical ones myself

Thanks. I'll look into the KL Optical switches, maybe those are good. I think the tactile bump is a big draw for me. I can be persuaded to try out a 96% instead of a full 104-key, but the wireless is pretty non-negotiable. And I can probably snag a bluetooth dongle for my desktop. (Or, when I build a new computer, look for bluetooth in the mobo.)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Continuing my wireless quest from last page, anyone have experience with the Velocifire VM02WS, and their “CONTENT” browns?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do you want tactile or linear switches?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

Great to know, thanks!

These DROP ones look awesome, but unfortunately kinda out of my price range. Although 65% boards do look pretty appealing. I'll consider the K6, thanks!

I ordered a DROP TKL one (CTRL?) as my first board. I'll let you know my thoughts.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Just got a Drop CTRL. So far it's been nice, though the Halo Clears require more force than I anticipated for a keypress - it feels like the springs are stiffer than I expected. So I'll give it a go for a while, but might look into swapping the switches for something a little softer (in the Gatereon or Cherry Brown space, maybe?). I think the TKL layout works for me, and it's nice to have less distance between my left hand on WASD and my right hand on mouse. Though I do miss the numpad more than expected.

I also now realize I want some new keycaps, something that looks pretty but doesn't require LED lighting to read the keys. I get the idea between the seethrough caps, which show off the RGB settings, but I want something a little more subdued.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

I like my CTRL a lot, but I did immediately put some SA keycaps on it, and more recently I swapped the switches out for Gateron Clears because I'm the weirdo who likes really light switches. I've been slowly using the Halo Clears for other projects (like a Sweet16 macro pad).

What do you mean by SA keycaps? Is that just the shape of the things? (God this hobby has so much terminology.)

Also I'll have to look into Gateron clears, too. Maybe I'll break down and just get the Drop switch tester to see what feels good. Along with a wrist rest because this keyboard is taller than my prior logitech...

So much stuff to buy!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I’m not sure I could give up arrow keys, just for word processing alone. Not just single characters but ctrl- and shift- arrow keys to jump words and bigger spaces at once. Plus manually editing urls, etc.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well on my 60% there are none. But on my 65% I keep the arrows on layer one and home / end / pg up /pg dn on the next layer.

Keep your arrows, just put them on WASD on layer 2 or whatever.

I’m already annoyed enough hitting a modifier key to change volume. Holding a modifier plus ctrl while moving arrow keys sounds like a special kind of torture. (Is this why coders use weird-rear end environments like vim or whatever that have insane keybinds, instead of user-friendly solutions?)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone looking to sell a switch tester? I’m enjoying my drop ctrl with Halo Clears, but I need a separate numpad and kinda want to poke at different switches first.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is that desktop built into the cubicle walls or is it a standalone? I’m wondering if you could price out an alternative desk top or cubicle options to take it to your boss/HR department as an ADA request, or just buy it yourself and swap it out. Depends how much paper you need to reference but if you could open that up a little it might help.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 17, 2021

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can someone give me a baby's first GMK explanation? I have a Drop CTRL and would like to set it so the default RGB setting is off, and then I can swap through just normally, in the same order. The last time I installed a dev environment was a decade and a half ago in college, trying to do basic java programming, so all this business about configuring files is confusing if I just need to reorder an array.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

You don't have to mess with the firmware directly unless you just want to. Go here and click on stuff to generate the firmware file configured as you want it, then follow the linked directions to load it on the keyboard. You have to do some command line stuff to get it flashed to the keyboard but it's straightforward.

Thanks. I could use that to generate a firmware file that just left the LED's turned off, but not one that would default to off and cycle through the different patterns when I hit the pattern selection buttons. Still, that's probably fine for now.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

It should still toggle through the other patterns, it does on my CTRL that I set up with that tool. What I don’t remember is if the LED config I created there overwrote the first default or not. But the LEDs are in the configuration i specified in the online tool at startup, no button press needed to get there.

It'll toggle through the other patterns on whatever layer I hit the toggle pattern button on. So if I hold down the function key and toggle to the next pattern, that changes the pattern so long as function is held down. But when I release function and go back to layer 0, it reverts to the new default behavior for layer 0, i.e. off.

Perhaps I set it up wrong - I just selected all the LED's on layer 0 and set them to off in the configurator, and then used that.

NBD, once the new keycaps come that have legends rather than needing to shine through to see the name, the problem will be solved. (Mostly this is useful for remembering which special characters are associated with which numbers. Obviously I have 99% of the keyboard memorized.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

I thought mine was persistent when I was messing with it early on but I got it to stop after a few tries with firmware. If I get a chance I’ll fiddle around with it and see if I can get it to do what you want.

Edit: looks like I was remembering wrong, it says in a comment from October that a custom LED configuration replaces the default patterns.

Fair enough, thanks. I appreciate the effort.