Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hey all I was hoping to get some advice.

Is there a keyboard that I can buy, that is also friendly to modifications after the fact, namely swapping out the switches. I would like to find either a 70% (ideal) or a TKL keyboard for work. The nature of my work is I need something fairly portable (I work from several locations and those often change over the course of several months), and I would like switches with a tactile feel, but with the option of switching to something quieter if/when people complain. Like start out with Cherry Browns, but then re-switch it for zlients or something if too many of my coworkers complain.

Is this feasible? Ideally I would like to keep under $150 all in for the initial purchase. Is it worth pursuing this? or is it just better to resign myself to replacing the keyboard if I get too many complaints?

FWIW I have had several mechanical keyboards but this would be the first I am traveling with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

You guys are thinking too small. You can plug more keyboards into your keyboard.

tbf you still don't really need USB3 speeds for that.

Now the power draw on your tri level LED setup? Hmmm....

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dielectric posted:

...or, make a thing that looks like a keyboard to the computer but isn't. For my multimedia key replacement, I used a rotary knob with pushbutton along with a Teensy (like an Arduino but smaller) and turn it into a thing that sends volume-up, volume-down, and mute. Viola, second "keyboard".

My next stunt is using a Raspberry Pi 0 to read a few encoders and buttons for hotkeys and crap for my schematic capture / PCB layout software. Because why not have a keypad that runs Linux?

Isn't this basically what QMK keyboards are doing?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is there a similar thread for this sort of thing dedicated to arcade controllers? Like in the games sub forum or something?

The FGC thread works for this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278

But honestly fight sticks are at least an order of magnitude simpler than keyboards. It's usually like: Buy PCB, Buy and hook up buttons and stick to the right connectors. Profit. Get Sanwa buttons.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Deviant posted:

Okay, I ordered the CTRL, but i don't want blues or browns, so where can I get red/black switches that isn't going to pull my pants down on the price?

https://novelkeys.xyz/products/gateron-switches?variant=19441344839773

Basically the same as cherry (even the colors translate) with less pants-pulling-down. 90 switches is $20

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is there a resale market for certain key switches? I preordered a Crtl Keyboard with Halo Trues, but seeing that they are a 60g Tactile and prone to key chattering,

I have trues in the alt I got and I don't notice any chatter but I swear the activation point for a few keys is just below the bump which is kind of annoying. Much less chatter than my macbook keyboard at least.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Can you like "breadboard" a keyboard and switches? I kinda want to just nerd out and put my own together and maybe add like a USB-C port or crap like that to see what I can do. Is there a starter guide for doing such things?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

These Halo Trues have grown on me. The activation and bump are super high up on the switch and the bottom out force is something like 90gf. They're also pretty cheap. They're loud, but not more so than any other mechanical tactile switch.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I use CapsLock all the time in my daily work :mad:

Maybe this means I'm not doing my work correctly ...

No seriously why? Even mainframe terminal emulators don't really require caps anymore (they'll just convert automatically if set correctly)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k6-a-compact-65-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Damnit, why can't they give me the K2 but hotswap. I need my function keys but want this so bad.

This is super tempting (even though I already have my alt) But I can't help but think of all the bad stuff I've heard about Alice (EDIT: It's not Alice but whatever USB-C / Bluetooth kbd that has all the issues)

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 16, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

iddqd posted:

I really wish I didn’t need a numpad. There are so many great options for wireless mech keyboards that are smaller form factors.

You could always get a separate wireless 10key for when you need to do your sums.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

Yeah, but with hotswappable sockets and RGB, because RGB is a fact of life these days

I'm amused how we can sport keyboards that look like the above but twinkly lights is just way to silly for us serious keyboard folks.

I like RGB and making it do stupid things.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

Quick question, but I assume as a starting mechanical keyboard the reason for something like one of the Ducky One 2’s vs something like a Corsair k70 is for build quality? Mainly plan on using it for gaming.

Honestly the build quality will be the same, the ducky might even be a bit better. But going from a "full sized" keyboard to a compact one is definitely a "feel" difference that takes some getting used too.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Snowy posted:

Here’s what I hope is a dumb problem, I have a Logitech g610 and all of a sudden it don’t register the same key more than once in a row.

Like q is fine, but I can’t type qq. And it’s making me qq. Any idea how I can fix that?

You turned Filter Keys on. hold right-shift for a while.

e: e;fb

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

With the QMX-Clip, we have attended to one of the last disadvantages of mechanical keyboards, the clicking sound when the keys are activated.

:wrong:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Downsides to EZ:

You probably need large hands to be comfortable. My thumbs hurt so much after using an EZ and I had to give up after a week. I found other splits with closer thumb clusters were fine, and eventually just designed my own with even closer thumb keys.

It feels very cheap and plasticy. If you are expecting something that feels similar to other non-ergo keebs in that price range you will be disappointed.

Upsides:

I sold mine on mechmarket for not much loss pretty quickly.

That said, some people love the EZ and it does have a lot of keys if that's your thing.

I usually tell people to build an Iris, or try picking one up on mechmarket, if they can deal with the extra procurement complexity. It's usually going to run half the price of an EZ, and it's a much more neutral layout but it still has a number row to allow you to transition away from it. If you get Rev 4 PCBs all you need to do is solder switches, which you can do with a cheap iron without loving anything up, and you'll need anyway if you succumb to the endless addiction that is keyboards.

I too have smaller hands, is there a site for suggested layouts? Or a kind of howto on what I would need? I understand most of it but a guide would be nice. I bought my alt to be a portable keyboard for client sites but have since moved it to my daily driver but I find the layout a but small for coding use.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh I just remembered what I wanted to ask this thread.
Is there a board that's "tenkeyless" but actually has the number pad? (I know this is a terrible way of describing it)
I mean, instead of having the arrow keys and home, end, del... the number pad is there?

Like the CoolerMaster MASTERKEYS PRO M or a 60+numpad like the Vortex Vibe.

This is usually called "96 key" so you can google for it. There's many options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So, between yesttterday and ttoday I managed to pour a cup of coffee in my beautiful alt. As you can tel itt's beginning to jitter a bit, so I need a replacement.

Is there a good place to justt shop for keyboards? I tthink for this purpose I wantt 104 key, RGB, USB-C, But I'd like tto just see what's available (thatt I can have shipped to me in the next few weeks)