Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I'm so close to getting a Ducky SF, but I've heard they've had spotty quality control lately.

Do you guys have any experience with this?

I have a shine 6 that's lasted a few years, but am looking to get a small key board for when I'm working on two different computers.

The only thing to note about the SF is that the right shift is a very odd size and it might be hard to find replacement caps for it, if you are into swapping keycaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Ewen Cluney posted:

The Epomaker GK86X I got from their Kickstarter came absurdly fast, and I'm liking it so far.
https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/1292100468835901442

I still can't get over the backspace placement...it's just so far! Do you have any trouble hitting it correctly?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Grimmeh posted:

Does anyone have experience ordering from The Key Dot Co? Nice quality? Reliable?

I’m looking to swap the Infinikey Amalfi Keycaps into my Keychron K2.

I’m pretty new to mechanical keyboard stuff, so this would be my first purchase to customize my K2.

Infinikey makes the keycaps, it's just being sold through TKC.

I don't think infinikey has really been around long enough for people to have a good sense of quality, but it seems pretty decent from the random discussion I've seen on reddit.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Looking for recommendations for a wireless keyboard for my studio. Desktop space is at a premium; my full keyboard often ends up in my lap and this one probably will as well.

Key features: small footprint, rugged, lightweight
Nice to haves: backlit, Bluetooth, trackpad
Please god no: chiclet keys

I like this Logitech except it has a numpad.
A Google search yielded a company called Stealth but their products are really expensive and overkill for my application. So I'm looking for a brand in between Logitech and Stealth.

If you can get past the extremely high profile, it sounds like you want a Keychron.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Would you accept something like the Zenith layout? Unfortunately not available to buy anymore (and wouldn't arrive for 1+ years anyway), but that's likely the closest you'd get.

https://ramaworks.store/products/zenith-keyboard

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'm thinking I want a 65% mechanical to replace my 80% not-Topre from Korea. The Drop Alt has the layout I'm considering, but are there any other keyboards with that layout? Must-haves are QMK and hotswap. Nice-to-haves: polycarbonate or acrylic case and plate options, USB Type-C to A connector.

https://novelkeys.xyz/products/nk65-entry-edition

Highly recommend this when it comes back into stock. Next color should be black IIRC, and should be restocking within the month.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

trinary posted:

I currently use a pretty basic Coolermaster TKL with Cherry browns but I'm looking for an upgrade. It is rattly as hell, especially the stabilized keys, and it'd be nice to have a metal case that looks better.

I've looked around for parts to build my own, but I'd rather not wait months for things to ship, and following "getting started" links from keyboard subreddits lead me into a labyrinth of dead group buys and unmaintained wiki pages with hundreds of links, and I get annoyed and give up.

I think my ideal is a hot-swappable TKL or 75%, I don't mind the browns but it'd be nice to have the option to replace them without getting a whole new setup. I'd be writing code, words, and playing games on this keyboard, not having separate tilde/backtick and escape keys is a dealbreaker so I think a 65% is out. The Drop CTRL and GMMK (I hate the glorious "race" branding) look like feasible out-of-the-box options but I'm sure there are many others I'm missing. I don't care about lights much, a basic backlight would be fine but not a requirement at all. Where should I look?

Keychron might fit what you want, or if you're interested, you can buy my GMMK White Ice TKL that was used for 2 weeks.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Impermanent posted:

think im gonna get in on that group buy for the NK60 Milkshake edition because it fulfills th emajority of my features wishes for a mech keyboard, minus the fact that its a tad small at 60% - but being QMK will fix that for me anyway. one question though - anyone familiar with how their yellow slik switches feel? I've never really used a mech keyboard with a switch other than my trusty mx browns i got years an dyears ago and they're distinctly 'fine'. simply better than a membrane. I bottom out on them all the time, like seriously every keypress, so i think i'm not losing anything by getting a linear switch.but how do they feel?

It's a 65%.

The Silks are a lubed JWK factory linear, so they'll be very smooth. It will take some adjustment since you won't have clear actuation feedback, but after about a week I found that I was pretty used to them.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Is anyone interested in buying my GMMK White Ice TKL? I used it for ~2 weeks before realizing it wasn't for me. Happy to let it go for less than retail, whatever that is these days.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Stroop There It Is posted:

...Yes, very, assuming it's hot-swappable (which I think all the TKL ones are?), depending on your asking price! I'd also happily trade for my Keychron K4 with gat browns + white backlight (used like, 5 times max, bought earlier this year for my husband, who ended up hating the 96% layout) if that's of interest, but I'm guessing it's not due to the similarities. Looks like you don't have PMs, so email me at stroop dot sa at gmail if ya want?

I've got too many boards to trade for one, but I'll email you!

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I actually got a batch of Boba U4s and I like the feel overall...but does anyone else find them to be kind of scratchy? I plan to lube them once the broken in and hopefully that helps, but is this normal?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

DirtyRobot posted:

Is there a switch that has the tactile feel of blues but... silent*? Browns aren't really doing it for me. Is there some niche switch that might do this, and would be compatible with the new hot-swappable keychron k2?

* or "closer to" silent.

There are basically no silent clucky switches, but there are silent tactile switches that are much more tactile than browns.

My recommendation would be to try Gazzew Boba U4s (I have 70 I could sell you at cost) and Zilents.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gearman posted:

How do hyperglides compare to v2 Alpacas?

https://www.theremingoat.com/blog/alpaca-v2-switch-review

Doesn't answer your question directly but this is the most in-depth switch review site you'll find.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

huhu posted:

What places would you guys suggest for bulk Cherry MX switch purchasing? Just looking for the basic ones like red or brown. I saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/kvcw9f/kbdfans_packaging_should_we_bubble_wrap_it_nah/

And was originally going to order from KBDFans but decided maybe I should look elsewhere.

Consider just bulk buying gateron switches instead. Way more vendors and the quality is better than Cherry.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Queer Salutations posted:

Got my NK65 Milkshake and while I'm loving the silk yellows, the ping on the spacebar is wildly loud. I'll need to take it apart and see if I can fix it at all.

I highly, highly recommend plate foam. Between that, lubing the stabs, and lubing the switches you can eliminate most of the ping and turn it into a thock-y board.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So I wasn't super impressed with my Glorious Pandas, nor with my Gazzew U4 Bobas. But then I started hearing about these Holy Bobas, where you use the Glorious / Halo True stem and put it inside the Boba housing.

Holy poo poo these things are tactile as gently caress and may be my new favorite switch. Highly, highly recommend trying it. They are the thockiest tactile I've used, there's very little travel before the bump, and the bump is very, very sharp. They're like super thocky Zealios.

If you've got the parts around, give it a try. I wouldn't recommend going out to buy the parts individually because frankenswitching can be very expensive, but this allowed me to make good use of some switches I wasn't super hyped on.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

:argh: I have a bunch of extra Bobas lying around and now I really want to try this... where can I get a small amount of Halo Trues for cheap???? And I don't need anything other than a switch opener (or I guess screwdriver), right? They look like they're Cherry style housings. Did you bother lubing or filming 'em at all?

I guess you can get 36 Glorious Pandas direct from them for about $.70 per switch... the Drop Halo Trues are cheaper per switch but only come in packs of 90+.

Correct, you just swap the stem into the boba housing and you're good.

I lubed the stems but I will probably relube them - frankly, I don't think it's really needed. Just be careful if you have the 62g spring Bobas as I've heard from some people that the upstroke can sometimes feel a little wonky and you might want a stronger spring (I'd recommend 16mm TX springs as a replacement, as these are the closest after a quick test).

Ideally you can search on r/mechmarket for someone who has some halo stems as that will be the cheapest option. Honestly the Panda housings are not really worth using in any other frankenswitch so that's a better option.

Another thing you can consider is grabbing Halo Clears, because that's the same stem (recolored) in a different housing, and you might be able to find a cheaper 70 pack of those.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Rollie Fingers posted:

For linear switch connoisseurs: which switches are the closest to Tangerine 62g yet actually available (unlike the Tangerines)?

What matters most to you? Sound? Smoothness? Price value?

e: This is probably your best bet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKxqaPi_8Y

e2: You can also check out ThereminGoat's overall ratings and a short review of each switch on his github and blog: https://github.com/ThereminGoat/switch-scores/blob/master/Composite%20Overall%20Total%20Score%20Sheet.csv

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Personally I would just buy Alpacas from PrimeKB and lube them myself (but would never buy 5 pin switches to put into a board that only accepts 3 pin switches). Lubing switches is all a matter of preference, and most people are not good at lubing switches. If you're intent on it, just buy some gateron yellows or other 3 pin switches so you don't have to clip the legs off of 5 pin switches.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
That works! I'd still advise against it because if you ever want to upgrade the keyboard, you'll end up with switches that might not be stable enough. I'd still recommend some gateron yellows because they're the best value / price for sound and smoothness, and the GMMK is never going to sound amazing no matter how much work you put into it.

Otherwise, the Alpaca V2s are commonly agreed as the linear switch to beat these days, as long as they're lubed and filmed.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zarin posted:

Not to be dense, but do there exist any hot-swappable boards that WOULD sound amazing? I have a GMMK and I don't know if I can ever go back to a non-swappable board . . . but I also can't say I'm in love with the rest of the keyboard :sigh:

More and more boards are being designed with hotswap PCBs, and I expect this trend to continue. As mentioned above, the Vega and many of RAMA's boards are hotswap compatible, and many boards can be made hotswap by soldering in mill-max sockets to the PCB.

If you don't want to wait for group buy hell, there's also some competitive "entry-level customs" like the Novelkeys NK65 Entry Edition, which is my pick for the best value hotswap keyboard you can currently get.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If you're looking into the nk65ee, I'd also recommend the kbd67lite at that price point. They may still be doing a group buy for that now that should ship in May.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Epsilon Plus posted:

My MOlly came in. This is... heavier than I expected. I was kinda hoping to actually get some soldering practice before it arrived. How badly can I gently caress up a PCB with my first time soldering? I should probably do a practice run first, right?

Soldering switches is one of the easiest solder jobs you can do. It is extremely hard to gently caress up. If you just buy a practice kit for a Christmas tree or something off Amazon and can do that, you can 100% solder switches onto a keyboard PCB.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
GMMK Pro reviews are out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dTDvBB2pU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS4czKl7WpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dTDvBB2pU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLDapkRDXM

https://youtu.be/_23j28Ue3Jw

https://youtu.be/SEsGlJpqYVA

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

TacticalHoodie posted:

Is there any good resources when it comes to switch film compatibility? I am planning out a GMMK Pro build down the road and I been interested in using Tactile Penguin switches. However, the maker of the switch suggests not to use film but the few posts I found on the Reddit MK community is recommending it but not saying how thick they would use on a Tactile Penguin switch. I am assuming they are too new and not that popular for people to try filming the switch or experimentation in general.

I don't want to do what I did with a Hako Clears with a botched lube job and having to toss them out from inconsistent typing feeling for the Halo Clears that I lubed and filmed properly. I do want to get rid of stem wobble on any switch I own.

Just buy Deskey films. Penguins are pretty close to ergo clears (and other clear imitator variants), in case you want an idea of what you're getting.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

The Electronaut posted:

Anyone else in Batch 1 for the GMMK Pro? They sent out the emails yesterday notifying of the 7 days you have to finalize your purchase.

I have a spot but do not plan to buy it. If any goon is interested in buying mine, just let me know. We can create an SA Mart thread as needed.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-boba-u4t-thocky-tactile-switches

Ringerkeys have non-black u4ts already in stock

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Framboise posted:

I mean, I used that Corsair for the past 6 years. I was used to the sound, but I was at the point where I was kind of tired of it. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend moved in with me and often goes to bed early since she she works first shift and I work second, so I feel kinda bad using such a noisy keyboard at night.

Ultimately I really just like how smooth this one feels. The crunchy tactile feeling of clicky switches is nice and all, but this really feels nice. I do notice myself accidentally hitting extra keys with this one a bit more though. Will take a little getting used to.

Have you considered silent tactiles?

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-boba-u4-silent-tactile-switches

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Their switches are fine, mostly because they have nothing to do with designing them (they're all JWK clones or made by C3). Any keycaps and deskmats have been a complete poo poo shoe with quality and color matching.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I'm sure the GMMK Pro will have noticeable improvements in V2 that address many of the current issues with it, but yeah I wouldn't buy it / recommend it right now. This tends to be how all glorious releases go - V1 is a decent product with some flaws and QC issues that get patched up in future revisions.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gearman posted:

So, I've done a pretty big teardown of the GMMK Pro, and I think there are a few things to consider:

- For the people that the board is aimed at (newer people to the hobby, or people with a smaller budget) it is very good for the price.
- The majority of the negatives are coming from people with a lot more experience with boards, and the negatives are, really, non-issues for the vast majority of owners.
- The thing that generated so much hype for it is also what's working against it -- being compared to the Satisfaction 75, a Group Buy board that goes for $450 (2x the price of the GMMK Pro, if you can even get one) and sells for nearly $1300 in the aftermarket. Realistically, they're aimed at very different segments of the hobby and the market.
- Yes the board is stiff and pretty pingy. As are the vast majority of custom Group Buy boards. People have no qualms about shoving foam in their $700 board to dull the higher pitch, so it's a bit strange to me that people would be complaining about a higher pitch sound from a sub-$200 board.
- Could it have been made better? Yes, absolutely. The plate cutouts being too small for a lot of stabilizers is really my biggest, and only, issue. There's really no excuse for that. I am currently in the process of making FR4 plates with better cutouts, and buying aftermarket plates for boards is pretty common anyway, but there's really no excuse for their way-to-small stab cutouts on their plates. StupidFish has made foam for it as well, and I can personally attest to the fact that it works really well.

And just so I wasn't clear, yes, I do believe the GMMK Pro is a good board for the price. It's a nice step up from their other boards and it will, presumably, be an in-stock buy once the pre-orders are fulfilled. If you're buying $500 GB boards, it's probably not for you. If you're looking for a sub-200 board in a 75% form factor (absolutely DO NOT buy an HK Gaming anything, seriously, more on that in a bit), there really aren't too many options, let alone options where the board is available. Off the top of my head, your realistic options for a 75% board right now are:
-IDOBAO ID80 ($140, but can't swap plates at all)
-Bella ($270), KBD84 ($200, solderable only)
-Tofu84 ($160-$175, solderable only)
-KBD75 ($200, solderable only but can probably find hotswap)

None of those have the same layout as the GMMK Pro, and don't have the rotary encoder. Most of them aren't easy to find hotswap versions, either.
Again, I'd just like to reiterate, if your budget is around $200, it is very much a good board for the price, and you're not going to find a similar form-factor and build quality anywhere near its price range.

I agree that Glorious targeted a pretty specific need in the market and did it pretty well - 75%, hotswap, RGB, rotary knob, entry. The way I think of the board is that it makes it so you should basically never buy a Drop keyboard.

But their implementation of a bunch of features and their awful QC leaves a lot to be desired - I've seen 3 in person, and each one has had bizarre issues. One of them had the screws snap off inside of the case, which is something I've also seen from other people. On the good side, you're not SOL like you are from a GB and Glorious is making it right for the people who bought it.

As with pretty much any Glorious product, I think the V2 improvements will make a huge difference and will remove most of the reservations I have for recommending this product. Right now? I'd tell my friends to wait if they don't need it this instant.

Rollie Fingers posted:

Isn't the ping mostly down to the switch?

I tried Cherry Browns, Alpaca V2s, Gateron Reds and Gateron Yellows in the same board and each one had a different severity in the 'ping'. Gateron Yellows were by far the pingiest but the ping in the reds and browns were barely audible.

There's lots of different kinds of ping - plate ping, case ping, leaf ping, spring ping. Some are more noticeable than others.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

DrHammond posted:

I don't see the Drop Alt or Ctrl coming up much here, and at a glance it seems like those should be strong contenders in the same space the GMMK Pro is in. I don't actually know much about those boards, but have seen a few positive-ish YouTube reviews. Is there some reason I'm unaware of that they aren't coming up in these conversations?

E: they're actually strong contenders for my upcoming build right now, so any experience or perspective anyone has about them would be swell.

Mostly, other budget boards have made these basically obsolete. If you want something similar, just buy the GMMK Pro.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Hmm, thinking about making the mistake of starting with group buys with ePBT Sniper 'cause I really love that color combination, but it doesn't say anywhere what profile or material they are. It looks like maybe Cherry or OEM profile, but no idea where to find out whether it's PBT or ABS, since I know not all ePBT caps are made with PBT. Anybody know where I could find that info, or should I just assume it's ABS unless otherwise specified?

Look for the geekhack thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109440.0

Almost every group buy has a corresponding interest check thread on geekhack.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

nvrgrls posted:

THANK YOU, haha.

Ideally it's a 60% with a knob on it. The GMMK Pro looks about right but I'd rather get something that's not brand new know what I mean.

This looks hot as poo poo and out of my price range as poo poo:

https://cannonkeys.com/blogs/news/satisfaction75-round-2

(and sold out?)

This might scratch my itch https://epomaker.com/products/ajazz-k620t

The Satisfaction75 now goes for $1500+ aftermarket so I wouldn't recommend trying to grab one.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Novelkeys has them on sale for 30c each so they're a great option. But the best use for them is to harvest the stems to make Holy Bobas for cheap :)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Smythe posted:

It’s a nice board at a killer price but for me personally it’s gotta be authentic Cherry Blue. Just a brain problem I have. Ya know how it goes.

Gateron blues are clones of cherry MX blues that are better in pretty much every aspect. Cherry's patents expired and they haven't kept up.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

LionArcher posted:

Three things.

Threads thoughts on ergo clears? I like my mx browns but want more tactility without it being super heavy. Most of the common tactical switches are extremely heavy. Unless I’m missing some that are a good mix of light activation force but stronger tactility than the Browns?

Or are gateron Browns better than Cherry browns?

Also, threads thoughts on this pre order?

https://shop.modedesigns.com/blogs/updates/updates-introducing-the-sixtyfive

1. Consider Pewter switches. They're basically retuned fancy MX Browns.

e: Ctrl+F Pewter on Theremin Goat's MX Brown review: https://www.theremingoat.com/blog/cherry-mx-brown-switch-review?rq=pewter
There's also a comparison of other switches that might be to your liking.

quote:

- The first, most noticeable difference between these two switches is that the Pewters are by far significantly less tactile and have a much lighter bump than the Cherry MX Browns.

- As well, being that these are factory lubed switches produced at JWK, the Pewter switches are significantly more smooth and have noticeably less wobble.

- The tactile bump of the Pewters, while fairly centrally located relative to other tactile switch offerings currently, is still a bit earlier in the stroke than the Cherry MX Browns.

2. Gateron equivalents of Cherry MX switches are, on average, at least as good or better.
3. I like a lot of what Mode is doing from a vendor perspective (e.g. the configurator, accelerated fulfillment), but I wouldn't buy this personally until I understand what the mounting systems are like. That said, the Mode 80 was really successful and a lot of people really liked that keyboard. At the end of the day, keyboards are all preference, so as long as it makes you happy and checks the boxes you care about at a price you're willing to pay, then it's a good buy.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

hbag posted:

but will that refund the $60 reservation fee too

Yes

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

hbag posted:

well i checked on their site and apparently i cant cancel so lol
why tf didnt i just let the "complete your order" email expire
of course i panic bought it lol
gently caress me
should i go with blank keycaps? its not that big of a deal idk im making this more of a deal than it is i think

Just return it if you don't want it; why are you torturing yourself with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I built a very pretty commission over the weekend.

Very badly color corrected sound test, for the folks who care about that kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3b4qnL2Sp0