Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok guys I need a keyboard for work that I can use to show off my fancy new keycaps

No I don't speak Japanese shuttup

Anyways I'd like to keep it on the sub 100$ end since these were 35$ but as long as it's got nice mechanical switches I'm just going to be pretending to program on it. I've been meaning to look into building a keyboard but I'm incredibly lazy and I'm not really sure I'm ready to become that kind of keyboard sperg yet

Edit: welp guess I should have read the OP :newlol:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've really grown to like Romer-G switches in my Logitech 810 or whatever it is, what's the closest switch to that feel?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ColHannibal posted:

Browns are terrible and blues are rude to use in an office. Clears feel like blues but don't make the noise.

everyone in my office uses blues but we also all have headphones in to listen to twitch

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

betterinsodapop posted:

Blues are for dickheads and shut-ins. Hope this helps.

ok so i see that Clears feel like blues but arent so loud, but what is a good switch that feels like romer-g's? I love typing on my G810 at home but im not bringing that to work because it's too flashy and i dont want to have to move a full size back and forth every day

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"Having blue switches is literally terrorism"

-a person who apparently never worked in an office 20 years ago

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does the WASD come in a white case? The only ones I can configure seem to be all black

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Do they ever sell it without caps?

yeah you can get the "bare bones versioni"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

what on twitch could possibly be worth listening to

DrDisrespect

lol if u aren't a member of the slick daddy club just lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The WASD V2 just went up on massdrop, and to get it shipped to Aus with clears and no caps in ANSI TKL at the best price is $93 plus $33 for shipping, while buying it from WASD is $110 plus $50 for shipping, all in USD

Speaking of, is there going to be a more suitable board for a better deal at all? I like backlighting, but I can do without it, especially since it sounds like clears are the switch for me, and clears don't do RGB.

thanks for this, imma pick that up even though i'd prefer a white board over a black one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

how are these Leopolds? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2056

I like this and it has my favourite switch but I've never heard the brand discussed itt

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok so since I know poo poo all about brands and what's good/what's not good, does anyone know of a keyboard that has a white case with MX blues or clears and OPTIMALLY has some RGB backlighting (or at least white)? I want to give my keycaps some a e s t h e t i c s and i was thinking a light pink rgb would look really nice

preferably under $150 but at this point i'm not picky. I was gonna get the Leopold but then I realized that the right shift key is a non-standard size. I was thinking about getting the DSX on MD but it seems overpriced, and while the WASD V2 with no keys is only $111 for clears, it also is black which idk how it will look with grey keycaps

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Constellation I posted:

Ducky Shine 6 - White
Ducky Year of the Goat - White
Ducky One TKL - White
iKBC MF108/MF87/F108/F87

Amazing, thank you!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Constellation I posted:

Ducky Shine 6 - White
Ducky Year of the Goat - White
Ducky One TKL - White
iKBC MF108/MF87/F108/F87

i picked up the ducky one TKL rgb in white so thanks again! :3:

i was orignally avoiding non-fullsize but then i realized i barely use the numpad and all the cool boards were TKL

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i went to microcenter and best buy and between the two i got to try mx red, brown, silver, black(?), and green (plus blue but since i use that every day i didnt really need to feel it )

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Greatest Living Man posted:

What's this thread's opinion been on the Razer Ornata? I just tried out a bunch of keyboards and ended up really liking the stiffness/actuation on them, though I didn't expect to go with Razer.

arent they a membrane that clicks?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Larrymer posted:

The only Microcenter in the area is over by you. I try to keep my distance.

i marked my territory using my totems to keep other goons away

glad to hear that it's working

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Are you near Windsor my dude?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

I'm in Montreal.

Well gently caress

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got my Ducky One RGB in and I think one of the LEDs R in RGB doesn't work

I'm debating if I should call the Amazon people and have it exchanged or if I really care since the keycaps I'm getting in September from massdrop don't have windows anyways so it's more about the background lighting

edit: other than that this keyboard is great, very solid and i love the white colour. i think i must have bought it from mechanicalkeyboards.com's amazon store because it came in a MK box, so maybe i'll just bother them and see what they can do for me

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 10, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah I called them and they're gonna hook me up. Kind of annoying but it's ok

Also pink is gonna look so drat good for my vaporwave a e s t h e t i c s

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My black widow from 2008 survived me spilling milk all over it and only recently have the switch springs started to not bounce back causing letters to get doubled

Their mice, though, were really bad

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Holy poo poo it's like rain against a window

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

frailimbnursry posted:

I'm currently in the market for my first mechanical keyboard. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to narrow it down to the following:

MK Fission (PBT keycaps / Brown Cherry MX)
Ducky Shine 6 (PBT keycaps / Brown Cherry MX)

Is the difference between build and feel negligible enough that it comes down to whether or not I would like RGB key lighting? Is there any tangible benefit to RGB lighting other than to match the lighting on my gaming mouse, my gaming case/fans, and my gaming GPU? I'm leaning toward the MK Fission as I think I would prefer simple white lighting.

I would ideally replace the keycaps at some point down the road with some of the sets that have been posted here but it looks as though both boards would allow me to do that very easily.

rgb is only for show, white lighting is really nice for when it's dark in your room and you're too lazy to go turn the light on

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Knowlue posted:

Realistically, it shouldn't be that hard to ultra nerd out and make your own keyboard from the ground up right? I would be mostly worried about getting the frame and the mechanical parts. In terms of the pcb I could easily draw it up and hand-etch a prototype and get it manufactured at a later date. Does anyone have a clue how much it would cost to get the mech supplies? Is it even worth it to nerd out as an EE or should I just say gently caress it and buy a mechanical keyboard and save myself the trouble. I don't have one yet and I'm thinking of getting one in the near future.

It would be a fun project, when I looked into doing the same the switches alone would have been about $100 for 104 clear switches, and the only reason i didnt do it is because a PCB for me would have been around 114$

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Knowlue posted:

Jesus christ. How many layers and how big is the board? And where are you from? I've ordered a lot of boards over the past few years and a full 100 sq inch 2 layer panel is about 115
idk, i live in the us

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zealpc-r2-zeal60-rgb-led-pcb

With the cost of switches i think the manufacturers must get some wicked deals on the PCB

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Since I work with a lot of EEs and embedded dudes they are all looking at building their own keyboard and holy poo poo is it tempting

There's no way I can justify spending $215 on a pcb + 78g zelios + a case

Why did I start reading this dang thread

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Me and my friend who works with me were keyboard enthusiasts (admittedly I only knew the gamer brands) and the week after we started bringing in our own keyboards the resident know it all had become an overnight fountain of knowledge about how corsair makes the best keyboards

(He bought a k70? With reds :barf)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

I would've gotten a K70 RGB if they didn't stop making the cherry blue switches. I ended up getting a ducky shine 6 rgb in blues (which is on back order) and I'm hoping it turns out to be good.

I just got my ducky one RGB w/ cherry blues and I love love love it

I got them to replace the delete key so it works great

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I want zelios 78gs for optimal coworker aggro

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

[quote="“Eric the Mauve”" post="“476658430”"]
Not that it’s relevant but true story, I’m an inveterate pen nerd who probably owns or has owned 100 different pens from 10/$1 papermate sticks to a $120 fountain pen. The extreme high end pens are cool for the novelty and :smug: value, but the fact is that for everyday writing that feels good and looks good, the world’s best pen is the relatively humble Uniball 207 gel pen, bold point, that Staples sells for usually 5 pens for 7 or 8 bucks.

OK I’ll stop interrupting our regularly scheduled keyboardnerding with pen commercials.
[/quote]

Actually it's the pilot G2 0.25mm

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My keycaps finally came :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jowj posted:

Those caps are amazing. Where did you get them from?

Massdrop!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/44061

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

Look, I'm in real deep y'all. One day I will begin posting images of the keycaps on actual boards and then you can all spend the time to figure out how much it all cost me.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get a custom kailh switch designed/made because cherry mx greens and clears aren't enough for me and my insatiable keyboard lust will definitely be the (economic) end of me.

Aren't Zealios 78gs next the list of "really firm and clicky"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

G-Prime posted:

Buy a whole bunch of pens, steal the springs from them, cut them in half, and enjoy your aching fingers.

I'm training for the fingerlympics

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As long as that isn’t dandruff it’s all good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dizz posted:

What's the appeal to using those tiny keyboards? Does not having F keys annoy anyone?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The problem is more and more skandi speakers are using English for online communication and with keycaps already being a small niche and there being like, maybe 20mil speakers between Norwegian Swedish and danish, you probably will never find any that are cool without making them yourself

I really wanted my work board to be ISO Nordic because I use Norwegian at work a lot but instead I went with my vaporwave english/japanese caps instead because a e s t h e t i c s

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

There are Pok3r iso’s too.

I don’t get the appeal of ISO layouts.

it's nice to be able to type in your native language without holding a bunch of keys at the same time

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pumprag posted:

Yeah the poker too.
You will get the appeal when you have to type umlauts all the time.

Yeah exactly. Imagine having to type "vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur" or even more rudimentary every day sentences like "jeg liker å gå på treningsstudio om morgenen når ingen er der" on a non iso keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sunshine89 posted:

I'm looking to replace my old Razer Black Widow at some point, and I really want a keyboard that has:

-Blues or some other kind of clicky switch
-A volume wheel/roller - I had one on the keyboard that came with my 2003 Dell and drat that thing was handy
-Backlighting

The closest things I found are the:

Azio L80 which has everything I want on paper, but the OP warns against Kailh switches. The price is definitely attractive, but if it's too cheap that has me concerned. I also like they way the keys themselves sit on the frame so it's easy to dust.

The Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum has all the features I want and some I don't, but it's expensive, and their proprietary switches feel too light for my liking and aren't clicky.

The Das Keyboard has the switches I like but no backlighting, so I ruled that out.

What would you experts suggest? I use it purely for typing, so 1337 G@/\/\3r features like programmable macros aren't necessary.

I have the G810 and it’s absolutely perfect for gaming, I really like it and it’s fun to write scripts to make the LEDs do neat stuff. The switches are really great too