Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

nielsm posted:

On the subject of custom keyboards (maybe?), does anyone know of options for programmable utility/accessory keypads? I.e. little sets of extra keys that can be used for custom purposes, without interfering with normal keyboard scancodes. Preferably something cheap and not bulky.

I have both a Max Keyboard FALCON-8 and a RAMA M10-A (the one Massdrop drop they've had is still the only time it's been officially available, I think). Both had some pretty major teething issues (my first MAX-8 refused to work under recent versions of macOS, and there are tons of people who have problems getting their M10 being recognized by the programming app), and the configuration tools for both leave quite a lot to be desired in many ways, but they do work.

I'm not sure they'd fall under the "cheap and not bulky" criteria though (well, the RAMA absolutely does not).

On another note, still pretty happy with my Leopold FC980C with the Cherry 1800-esque 90% layout, even if I do find myself annoyed by the lower right Alt/Ctrl/Fn block (but not enough to give up the arrow keys, obviously, which was the whole reason for getting this layout in the first place).

If it wasn't for the Input Club Kira that I'm waiting on, I'd probably go buy another FC980M (the one with Cherry MX instead of Topre, also almost half the price) to replace the CM Masterkeys Pro M that I'm using on my gaming PC.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Yeah, programming the Falcon is definitely a "do this once and get it right because you will never want to do it again" type thing.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Heh, I want to put some novelty caps on mine (right now it just has a bunch of random blank colored caps that I got as part of the WASD tester kit I bought ages ago), but first I need to figure out what to do with it. After getting the RAMA, which took over the "exerting occasional control over WoW on the other computer" use, it's thus far been acting as arrow keys for when I want to use them, which honestly is a really dumb use (and one I won't need when I replace the CM Masterkeys M).

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The first mechanical keyboard I got was a Ducky, and it's still going strong, though it hasn't been my primary keyboard for a long time now (was my work keyboard for a while, and is now my work-laptop-at-home-docking-station keyboard). I know a couple of people who also own at least one Ducky, and none have any any problems either.