Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I really like my CODE, but I wish I bought it as a TKL instead of full. Now I’m sitting here considering buying the same keyboard, but TKL.

This thread is dangerous for me.. I haven’t even started looking into custom boards or swapping key caps out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there anything out that is basically the Apple Magic Keyboard but Mechanical, specifically made for MacOS? Keypad isn’t necessary.

This is a difficult ask because you aren’t going to find a super thin mechanical keyboard like the Magic Keyboard at all. Best bet is to recognize if you want something super portable and thin like the Magic Keyboard, or a mechanical keyboard with good macOS compatibility.

Look into CODE, they have a macOS mode toggle switch on the back as well as some other hardware toggles you can put. I use mine for both Windows and macOS and really enjoy typing on the thing. They sell TKL versions on WASD or amazon.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Qubee posted:

Meant to say 5 years and 1 month, oops.

I was gonna order from Amazon, but it doesn't have the CODE from WASD. Any other recommendations? I can't be arsed using one of those "best keyboards" guides, would rather trust a Goon and get what they're happy with.

CODEs on Amazon are by WASD. I enjoyed my CODE Clear for awhile, and got it from Amazon. e: oh, I see that their current stock is absolutely awful / disappearing now.

Just recently upgraded to a Massdrop CTRL, this thing is very impressive so far, and I ended up getting lucky on the quality control side of things it sounds like.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I think my CTRL is starting to give double inputs. It's happening randomly, and I honestly can't always tell if it isn't just me, but is this a thing that could potentially be software related if it was the keyboard messing up, or would I be looking into RMA after confirming without a doubt it isn't just me double tapping when I shouldn't.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Constellation I posted:

That's called key chatter and most likely an issue with your switches and not the keyboard/PCB.

Use Switch Hitter to determine which switches are chattering.

https://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php

Good news is that you have a hotswappable keyboard, so you can just get new switches and put them in place. Bad news is that if they're Halo switches, I don't think Massdrop sells them in anything less than 70 switches per order.

This is it, thank you! I do have the Halo Trues, so i'll just swap them with the mostly unused function / navigation keys for now.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

garfield hentai posted:

I have a Mac at work now and the keyboard they gave me is a piece of poo poo that has the page up key RIGHT next to the enter key and i keep hitting it accidentally all the time and I hate it. What's the good Mac keyboard to get I don't really care much as long as it's pretty good and doesn't have the loving PAGEUP KEY RIGHT NEXT TO THE ENTER KEY

I used a CODE with a built in DIP switch on the back of it that changed the arrangement of Windows to Option, and Alt to Command. But if you're fat fingering a button other than one of those two, dunno. Take the keycap off, thats what I used to do for the windows keys back in the day.

You can also just use any mechanical keyboard with a Mac.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I'm sure this isn't the first time this has gone around, but this thread would likely appreciate it:

https://twitter.com/Art_Relatable/status/1103470938849390592

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

charity rereg posted:

I figured I'd keep the magic going at home and acquired (free, I won it in a raffle) a this: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k2-mechanical-keyboard

I recognize this is entirely not the point of your post, but thanks for this. I'm ordering one for myself, I love that form factor and multi device BT / USB-C hits every box for work and personal use.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

I need a PS/2 keyboard for some vintage systems. Mostly for typing and maybe a game here or there but gaming is not the primary use. What should I get that's not $100. Preferably $50 or less thats better than your average keyboard?

https://www.amazon.com/Oxsubor-PS2-USB-Female-Converter/dp/B01N5MYE72/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb+to+ps%2F2+adapter&qid=1575328119&sr=8-3

I remember having quite a few of these lying around years back. Not recommending this particular one over another, but something like this could work for old equipment with a newer board if it is cheaper in the end?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

64bit_Dophins posted:

What are some other options in the sub $120 price range that are worth looking into? I'm mostly going to be typing on it and I want something that isn't too "gamery".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YB32H52/ref=emc_b_5_mob_t

Someone posted this not even a full page ago and I bought one immediately. Definitely my favorite keyboard so far.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k6-a-compact-65-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Damnit, why can't they give me the K2 but hotswap. I need my function keys but want this so bad.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

What is Alice in regards to the k6..? Oh I see the edit now, yeah I dunno. I use my k2 for 8-10 hours in BT mode, then bring it downstairs and plug it into the cable for my pc and swap the switch toggles. Haven’t seen any issues with it for either mode, and it’s on BT Mac, wired PC.

I’ve been using my k2 since I earlier posted about getting it. It works perfect for me and I am if not buying the k6, I’m buying a second k2 so I don’t have to move it to and from my office.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

One solution would be to use a cardioid external microphone. Built in Omni directional mics will always pick up too much keyboard noise.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Are there good mechanical keyboards that have the mac function keys?

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k2-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I love my k2, and I have a k4 on the way for my work computer.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What's the thread's consensus on the Keychron brand? I was thinking about pre-ordering their new K8 with a plate mount when it is available.

https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-k8-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I have the k2 and k4. Love them both. Sturdy construction and enough bells and whistles that it’ll work on any setup I plug it into.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I did it, I bit for the k8 Kickstarter.

I will soon have a k4, k6, and k8. Now to figure out what kind of switches I actually want in my k8.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I guess this is the best thread to put this in: Is there a piece of software that allows you to send inputs from one computer to another? Basically remoting in without caring about video, or a software kvm of some sort? I'd just use chrome remote desktop except the monitor sharing messes with things. Ideally, it'd just be a little window that pulls focus and has some basic info on it. Honestly, it kinda sounds like a fun project to try to do myself, but its a bit beyond my capabilities and if there's already software out there that does the job, why bother?

I've used Multiplicity a lot as a software kvm, worked very well for me.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I definitely prefer the texture of PBT. It's just a nice feeling under your fingers.

I really wanted https://drop.com/buy/matt3o-nerd-dsa-keycap-set-massdrop-exclusive/ in elvish, but I had to stop checking Drop as often as I was.. so that's my loss and hopefully they come back. Anyone know of another PBT set that uses that same kind of purple on either modifiers, or primary keys? I love that shade, and the elvish script was just gonna be added flair to have yet another keyboard that people hate touching. Silent legends are another great 'don't touch this' keycap as an aside.

I'm probably just gonna order Keychron's k2 PBT keycap set, didn't realize they sold that separate until now.. e: i did this, don't know if i recommend it. the keycaps are not 1:1 k2's just PBT instead of ABS.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 16, 2020

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

mewse posted:

... I literally just ordered these last night:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000420211120.html

They're not real SA profile because it's just row2/row3 profile. Row1 is very tall on real SA sets and probably a bitch to work in PBT.

Funny, I was trying to find any decent looking sa pbt caps and landed on these lastnight. Didn’t pull the trigger on it yet but it’s on my open tab to do list. I don’t believe I’ve typed on SA before, so it should be a good enough experiment price point.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

onesixtwo posted:

I'm probably just gonna order Keychron's k2 PBT keycap set, didn't realize they sold that separate until now..

yeah i'm not sure if I recommend doing this, after doing it. The keycaps are significantly shorter than the default ABS keys that came on the k2, and the feeling of them really isn't that different than ABS. It's half as gritty as my other PBT keys on my CTRL. The shallowness of the keycaps are baffling to me. Nothing on the site suggested i'd be getting a shorter keycap.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

snackcakes posted:

I tried doing some searching but every website has a different opinion and I prefer to blindly trust goons on recommendations.

Keychron if you want bluetooth / multi device and Mac support. I’ve got the k2 and k4 for personal and work use, haven’t had any issues with their keyboards. K4 has the numpad without the bloated spacing. I’ve got their k8 from Kickstarter also on the way for reasons I’m not certain yet.

Code by wasd keyboards are also another good choice, I used one of their boards for a few years, but the Keychron’s bells and whistles were perfect for my lack of diy beyond switches and keycaps interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Neat, my Drop Halo True switches arrived today! Gonna be swapping those into my k8 when that shows up.