Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone got any thoughts about the Anne Pro 2? Looking to get into this weird hobby with something more fashion over function and something I can easily switch caps out with. My Romer-G keyboard recently hosed up when I tried to remove caps

I've been using it for the past few months (with Gateron Browns) and I'd recommend it. I really like how you can use the left fn/ctrl/shift keys as arrow keys by tapping them; another neat thing is that holding down capslock makes it a second FN1 key (so I don't have to remap capslock, as it is used in most games). Their software is perfectly serviceable for updates, adjusting the layout and lighting, and recording macros. Looking on r/AnnePro, some people reported issues with the LEDs and Bluetooth: I had no issues with backlighting, and I always used it wired so I didn't encounter any of the common pitfalls.
But do make sure before buying that you're fine with a 60% layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I've been happy with my Niz for 8 months now, and I should get my 30g Topre in a few days. So if you have any specific questions, ask away :)

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

netcat posted:

I've imported a Realforce from Japan, with a japanese layout. I'm really liking the Topre feel, but for some reason I didn't really think about any issues with keyboard layout differences (I use a Swedish layout normally). It's mostly fine apart from some keys specific to japanese layout that does nothing at all, but the key that's usually to the left of Z is missing (with the pipe and greater/less) which is .. kind of annoying. Is there any way to configure Windows so I can get those on one of the "dead" keys? (for example I have one to the left of right shift)

Apparently, Microsoft has a tool to create custom keyboard layout. You should be able to rebind the Japanese layout keys with it.
Any reason why you didn't go for a standard US layout Realforce?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Unsinkabear posted:

I ask myself this at least once a year. Keep holding out, friend. They have to give us a modern 75% eventually... right? :ohdear:

If you want an electro-capacitive board with a different layout than full-size or TKL, I think your only options is Nid/Plum (or Leopold)

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, Plum is the only one doing 75%-ish boards. I've bought a few of theirs and the first remains my favorite keyboard I've ever owned. But during COVID their costs went up and the quality of their typing experience went down, and like so many other companies, they kept it that way after the supply chain pinch went away. :smith:

My current NJ80 with Boba U4s is the closest I've come to getting that old one back.
I didn't notice much difference between my pre-covid TKL and my 2021 Atom 68, maybe I got lucky (or maybe I'll notice it now that you've told me :argh:).
I also got an actual Topre because I love the electrocapacitive feel. The fact that you can't really get the same feel with mechanical switches is the main thing keeping from getting crazy with custom builds. Also the fact that I prefer lightweight switches (~35g) and most mechanical switches seem way above that (but I've heard the actuation weight means different things for electrocapacitive and mechanical switches)