Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

So I've finally decided to try out mechanical keyboards. I'm currently waiting for a cherry switch tester to see which switches would suit me and which ones won't make my girlfriend try to kill me.
Meanwhile I'm trying to see which keyboard or setup would suit me best. I usually use a German keyboard layout (qwertz) but since I'm a software engineer I was thinking about making the transition to the US qwerty layout. If you have ever looked at a qwertz keyboard and are a programmer you will understand why it might make sense.

So my idea would be to buy a keyboard with the normal qwertz layout, which I overall like for the big return key (see: http://clasfaculty.ucdenver.edu/tphillips/QWERTZ.jpg). But then also buy the english key caps extra (the ones that are not the same as on the german layout) and switch these out. This way I can always go back if I don't get accustomed to using the qwerty layout and didn't waste a lot of money on a keyboard I don't want to use.
Does this make any sense at all or should I rather just buy two different keyboards, one qwertz and one qwerty?

Also can you recommend me any keyboards in the 80-100€ range that actually have this layout with the big return key, or at least give me a hint how this (physical) layout is called, so I can effectively search for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Constellation I posted:

Your layout is the ISO (DE) layout. Unfortunately, even regular ISO layout keyboards can be slim pickings out there, or you'd have to pay extra to get the right keycaps. If you really do want to switch to US qwerty (called ANSI layout), then you'd open up your options and get to save some money.
I assume there are no boards that can use both ISO and ANSI style return keys at the same time, right?
Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and learn to type on ANSI layout. It's just hard to hit the key consistently if you are used to it being twice the size :rolleyes:

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Rexxed posted:

Do you really use the upper part of the key for enter? I've had keyboards with big rear end enter keys before and I didn't have a problem switching away from it because I'd just hit the left side of it with my right pinky finger anyway.

I do hit it occasionally whenever I have to use an ANSI keyboard. It's muzzle memory I guess, I have typed my whole life on the ISO layout...
Shouldn't be too hard to get used to ANSI but I'm still a bit reluctant just because if I don't like it I'm stuck with an expensive keyboard I don't like to use. Maybe I should buy a cheap 10€ ANSI keyboard first and see if I can get used to it :D

Constellation I posted:

I believe there aren't much, if any because the stabilizers would need to be in different places and you need room for a switch on the left for ISO. Can probably do it if you don't use stabs and use hotswap sockets for where the keys will need to be for all layouts.

Basically:

vs

Ah, I see. Does it make sense to use large keys like return without stabs? And what exactly are hotswap sockets?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Ok, thanks. I think now I have a better idea of what I want and what is possible.
Just need to wait for the switch tester now :D

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

LochNessMonster posted:

Mykeyboard.eu usually has ISO DE keyboards in stock. ISO is the devil though, use Gods own layout: ANSI.

Also an obligatory “gently caress qwertz” remark. As a qwerty user it makes you suicidal. That and dubbing are the worst things things ever invented in Germany.

That last part, I... I agree.
I guess I will have my try with the ANSI layout. I don't really see its superiority to be honest as ISO has one additional key and I don't really need the longer left shift key personally. Perhaps it is helpful if you have a very structured typing method, which I don't have.

forkbucket posted:

For what it's worth I've recently switched from a full size ISO Nordic layout to a tiny 40% keyboard with everything on layers and the transition away from a big enter key was hardly noticable. Of course YMMV, we're all different, etc etc...

Mine was programmable though, so I got to keep all my funky Norwegian characters and tweak it to my liking! The firmware and programming/flashing process involved is pretty straightforward and since you're a software engineer you may already have some experience with the steps involved. Being able to fully customize your keyboard is pretty awesome, so add that to your list of cool mechanical keyboard things to consider! :v:

I think I'm going to stay with the full size layout though, at least for now. I would really miss having a numpad and I'm also not too fond of macros and stuff, I'd rather have some more keys. Oh, also I'm a gamer and sometimes the additional keys not hidden behind function key presses are helpful. But thanks for the hint anyway, maybe it will be useful in the future!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

So my cherry switch tester arrived. I really like the brown switches and I guess I will go with these for now.

I really prefer the quieter sound of the O-rings, that came with the tester. But it does make the typing feel a bit more squishy. The OP talks about some good alternatives to O-rings "(...) new solutions coming out like sound dampening clamps or specially designed quiet switches." but doesn't go into great details about these alternatives. Can someone clarify if these "dampening clamps" are actually worth it or if there exists a quieter switch that feels like the cherry brown?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

mewse posted:

Are you building a board? There are gateron silent brown switches.

Do you mean building a custom board as opposed to buying something prebuilt? I guess I'd rather take something prebuilt since I'm totally inexperienced and custom building tends to get expensive fast often times.
How do the gateron silent browns compare to the cherry mx browns?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

mewse posted:

I don’t think you can buy a preassembled board with them. They are smoother than cherrys and have sound dampeners integrated into the mold of the slider

Sounds good, but if you need to build your own board with them I guess I'll pass for now and just order a preassembled board with cherry mx browns. If it's too loud or I don't like it I can still send it back.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

mewse posted:

Get a velocifire with browns they are great and cheap
Thanks for the suggestion. I can only find them on ebay shipped from the US tough which makes it infeasible if I want to test it and send it back if I don't like it...

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

mewse posted:

Oh sorry I didn't account for Germany. I was able to get a velocifire in canada for cheap through amazon.ca but it looks like amazon.de doesn't carry them.

Caseking.de carries the GMMK fullsize:

https://www.caseking.de/en/glorious-pc-gaming-race-gmmk-full-size-tastatur-barebone-gata-971.html

With that you could order gateron silent browns from kbdfans in china, snip the PCB mount posts off with flush cutters and use them with whatever keycap set you want, no soldering.

e: and then if you don't like the switches you can buy some other ones :homebrew:

I don't really want to build myself right now but thanks for suggesting caseking.de! I was really getting frustrated because amazon.de sold only crap and mykeyboard.eu doesn't really have a huge or affordable assortment, so caseking is a godsend! Free shipping AND free return, that's what I want!

I am looking at this keyboard right now GMMK Full-Size Tastatur - Gateron Brown, US-Layout.
It's basically what you have suggested, but already equipped with gateron browns and (ABS) keycaps, for an affordable price.

Any huge issues with that one? Otherwise I would just order it and try it out :dance:

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Malefitz posted:

I don't really want to build myself right now but thanks for suggesting caseking.de! I was really getting frustrated because amazon.de sold only crap and mykeyboard.eu doesn't really have a huge or affordable assortment, so caseking is a godsend! Free shipping AND free return, that's what I want!

I am looking at this keyboard right now GMMK Full-Size Tastatur - Gateron Brown, US-Layout.
It's basically what you have suggested, but already equipped with gateron browns and (ABS) keycaps, for an affordable price.

Any huge issues with that one? Otherwise I would just order it and try it out :dance:

Ok, caseking.de does not offer free shipping and even charge for paypal :argh:
Well at least return is free...

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

A few weeks ago I have been asking about advise to buy my first mechanical keyboard. I wanted to go the ANSI US layout route for better programming for the first time even though I'm from Germany, so I bought the GMMK Full-size RGB with Gateron Brown switches. When I got the keyboard I immediately loved its style and its haptics.
But when I used it for some time I noticed that I just couldn't deal with the ANSI QWERTY layout after having used the ISO QWERTZ layout for almost 30 years of my life. I realized how many texts I still write in German and how off it feels for me to use the substitutes to our German 'umlauts' (ae, ue, oe, ss instead of ä ü ö ß). I tried to play around a bit with assigning these keys to unused key combinations but in the end I just decided that I was going to send the keyboard back and find an equivalent ISO QWERTZ keyboard.

So I found the HyperX Alloy Elite RGB gaming keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches and I have to say...it's exactly what I wanted. I like the feedback and sound of the Cherry Browns more than the Gateron Browns and the branding is not as obnoxious as many other keyboards that can be found online. It also has some nice media keys the GMMK didn't have which I actually find useful.
To be quite honest I'm thinking about buying a (less expensive) mechanical keyboard for my work office, too. The difference between typing on my private keyboard and on my rubber dome office just feels so huge...

So thank you guys for recommending me a good keyboard and thus showing me how much fun one can have when typing.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This Ducky One might be right up your alley, then. Very clean and professional look, practically no visible branding, reputable manufacturer, plus it has volume control keys.

I like the clean look on that one a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will consider it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Nice, that looks great!