Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I own 2 of these. The older one from 2010 is better quality. Because the molds Unicomp bought from IBM are getting older and need some refurnishing. My first one doesn't have a Super key though, I didn't know enough about computers at the time to realize I needed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

DirtyRobot posted:

Apparently the quality of the new Model M's are really good. I desperately want them to release a beige/pearl version.

I painstakingly recreated Model-M keyboard layouts in their layout file for custom keycaps, so that I could then tweak and add things like a hyper key and use my own design for the mac media keys. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the Spacesaver, but if they ever release a beige/pearl version of the new Model M I'll snap it up in a second, insane shipping fees to Canada be damned.

That's the back. Unicomp has a newer version than this 2018 one !? I looked at it on the site and that looks exactly like mine, not sure if it would really be better.
I have a beige Model-M unicomp from 2010, but I don't know where I put it, looking for it right now.
I like the buckling springs for music programming, it feels good to control synths with it in like a Fast Tracker II type software, Renoise, whatever.
Do you know where to get some cool colorful keycaps?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, they have a keyboard literally just called the “New Model M” that, per reviews, improves on the older models that were relying on very old moulds. But apparently they sell like no beige keyboards (I think this might be because a huge chunk of their sales are to businesses?) so the “New Model M” model has no beige version, and might never :(

Unicomp will do colour key caps (though colour options are nothing like wasd or something), even custom printed. They just don’t advertise it on the site. Example (and lovely story): https://www.reddit.com/r/modelm/comments/g205gw/unicomp_custom_keys_lovely_quality_service_and/

Buttons link: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons

If you open a ticket they’ll answer questions for any weird stuff that is not on their website.

This is Unicomp's response to my email:

"Unfortunately, we do not have a need for used keyboards. Of course, we do not sell used keyboards to our customers.

The New Model M is the same as the Ultra Classic with a little difference in the size of the coverset. It is made, however, with all new tooling and is a really sharp looking keyboard."

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, they have a keyboard literally just called the “New Model M” that, per reviews, improves on the older models that were relying on very old moulds.

I'm not sure that I even like the buckling spring KBs I have now since you have to bear down so hard for the keystroke to register. I think for special purpose they are good

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Recs for an apple keyboard that is bluetooth, because even though the scissor switches are better than last years it doesn't feel very satisfying to type on that keyboard ?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I feel bad that I still use QWERTY and haven't bothered to switch to the ergonomically superior DVORAK. I heard someone say "Once you DVORAK, you never turn around" or something like that

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

This is a $35 keyboard I've been using for awhile with knockoff blue switches and for the price it's pretty grand.

I just bought Keychron K2 browns for another computer, but this one will still come in handy.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I found the Unicomp, dated 3/2012. How might I get around not having a Super? I could maybe use Caps for Cntrl and Cntrl as Super. I was a noob when I ordered it and just didn't know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Rexxed posted:

What do you use the super key for? The start menu opens with control-esc in windows. There's a lot of shortcuts for the other ones. I'm a windows key hater so I leave mine locked off all the time (GaMeS mOdE!!!).

I use i3-wm so the Super key does all my window manager shortcuts. I also use Super frequently as a modifier for custom Emacs commands. Usually Meta and Control are Emacs, and Super is for the Desktop environment. But I would love to have a few more rows of Function keys to use as well. Like F6 could launch the web browser, etc... Basically i hate the mouse.