Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I put together a GMK67 with Akko Blue Jelly switches and a spare set of GMK laser keycaps that I had laying around. I paid $70 for the keyboard on Amazon and $40 for the switches, both from Amazon. It seems like a really good bang for the buck DIY kit. Anyone else pleasantly surprised with the GMK67?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Nestharken posted:

Protip: they're more like $45 if you're willing to wait for the slow boat from China.

Thanks, that's a really good price! I might buy another one

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Does anyone know if cherry xtrfy is a reliable vendor? I'm looking to buy some cherry grey rgb switches, and they seem hard to find. I would buy from Corsair, but they sell in packs of 65 and I need 67.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
What do you guys think about the Bauer Lite from Omnitype? They keep sending it to my inbox for a Black Friday sale. My first impression is it doesn't really make sense to me. $120 for a 65% barebones plastic kit that doesn't even have a knob or RGB. I feel like I'm missing something here. I see it's made in the USA, so maybe that's a bonus for some buyers.

Here's the link: https://omnitype.com/pages/bauer-lite

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
My Cherry MX Grey switches should arrive today. Looking forward to see how I like 80 cN tactile switches. I 'll be installing on a white GMMK 67 board with Aura V2 white keycaps.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
My Cherry MX Greys arrived today. The actuation is pretty nice, but the ringing after the switch resets is unbearable. I may try lube, but I donít know if that will help. Is lube the fix for obnoxious switch ringing?

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Sacred Cow posted:

Thatís the classic Cherry spring ping. You can lube the springs to help mitigate the noise but the better option would be to replace them with an equivalent weighted springs from a better manufacturer.

I can tell you as a Cherry Brown user, lubing only works for so long before the pinging sound comes back.

Well now that you mention it, my first mechanical keyboard had Cherry blue switches, and it had a more subtle ping that I still found annoying. I thought it was the keyboard case though, so it never occurred to me that this is a Cherry-specific problem. Thanks for the info!

I think I will just move on from these Cherry Grey switches and not bother with lubing them or replacing springs. I doubt I can return them since they shipped from Europe (I'm in the US), and I actually bent the pins on several of them during installation. They're not destroyed, but it would probably piss off the next person that gets them. So I will probably get some cheap Akko Jelly Blue switches which I already use on a different keyboard, and I like well enough.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Dirac Fourier posted:

Well now that you mention it, my first mechanical keyboard had Cherry blue switches, and it had a more subtle ping that I still found annoying. I thought it was the keyboard case though, so it never occurred to me that this is a Cherry-specific problem. Thanks for the info!

I think I will just move on from these Cherry Grey switches and not bother with lubing them or replacing springs. I doubt I can return them since they shipped from Europe (I'm in the US), and I actually bent the pins on several of them during installation. They're not destroyed, but it would probably piss off the next person that gets them. So I will probably get some cheap Akko Jelly Blue switches which I already use on a different keyboard, and I like well enough.

I decided to send the Cherry Grey switches back to the seller in Sweden. I replaced them with Kailh Burnt Orange switches which are very nice.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

stealie72 posted:

Looking for a new office keyboard to replace my old one with a few dying keys that I don't want to deal with unsoldering and moving around.

I'm looking for good quality (not allcaps brand), brown switches, full size, and hot swappable, and I'm having a hard time finding all four of these things. I'm willing to spend $150 (+/- $50) for something that's going to last.

I like this Das Keyboard one, but it's not hot swappable.

Like others have said in here, this is a massive rabbit hole and I figured I would check here first before I dug myself any deeper.

Edit: Should mention, I'm a grant writer, so I am literally actively typing for like 6+ hours a day, so longevity and quality are important to me.

Keychron K10 might work for you, but I would order it from Amazon because Keychron has a bad reputation for customer support

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

stealie72 posted:

Should have also mentioned that I prefer wired because I'm a cranky old man that doesn't want to deal with bluetooth/batteries/charging. Looks like this might be my huckleberry: https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Keyboard-Hot-swappable-Backlight/dp/B08CNBBHQ1/ref=sr_1_3

Is there any significant quality difference between Keychron's own label switches and Cherry switches?

Ha.. I'm also a cranky old man that prefers wired keyboards. I'm a Cherry switch hater because the "cherry ping" sound drives me crazy. I've never used Gateron switches though so I can't speak to their quality vs. Cherry. Hopefully someone else will jump in and answer that one.

Kailh is my favorite switch manufacturer after trying Cherry and Akko because there's no ping and they make heavy switches. I really like the 60g+ (vs. typical 40g) activation force on my Kailh Burnt Orange tactile switches and Kail Box Jade clicky switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Crain posted:

What's cool and new in the keyboard world for thocky tactile switches?

Kailh Box Burnt Orange switches are heavy tactile switches. I have a set on my retropie, and I like them a lot.

https://www.kailh.net/products/kailh-box-heavy-switch-set