Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have the Falcon 8 ... it was pretty cheap to assemble myself.

It works, but the configuration app is just dreadful. I'm spoiled by the on-the-fly macros of my Poker 2. (It's why I've been itching to get a Pok3r ... I hit the 15 keystroke limit on the 2 quite often.) I've put longer macros I use often on the Falcon 8 (as well as play/pause missing from the Poker 2) but it's such a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Good opportunity for novelty caps :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Holy expensive: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-zambumon-gmk-nautilus-custom-keycap-set

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

drat I want a poker with that

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Vortex caps are perfect for CODE. I found that more colourful backlighting-compatible caps on it looked weird with the luminous paint behind the caps.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Found a picture I took when I had blue gradient PBT shine-through caps on my CODE, that sort of illustrates the issue:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's mostly the channels between the keys I'm talking about, the colour of it being a bit "off". Maybe its also reflecting a bit off the inside of the caps?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Asked WASD when their Poker 3s with Clears on them would be back in stock ... they estimated 3-4 months! Ouch. Maybe Massdrop will come through sooner :v:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I really dislike linear personally ... just feels mushy to me. I need that actuation point too. Though Clears, which don't have the 'click' sound, are definitely my favourite.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 7, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LionArcher posted:

It's also one of the Reasons I shy away from clears vs blues or browns. Harder impact on the fingers
For me I'd say Clears are less "impact" ... I don't bottom them out easily like blues or browns.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Look at that R5-head

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only ever ordered caps from Massdrop before.

Got kind of impatient waiting for some, I ordered the blue & white version of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/top-printed-side-printed-dsa-pbt-keycap-caps-for-usb-wried-mechanical-keyboard-104-keys/32813738267.html because the shape is intriguing to me.

I think the black/grey looks great, but the blues would suit my white Poker 2 well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Also I take back my whinge about gaming with Greens. Guess it just took a while to get used to them ... totally fine now.

Interestingly I find myself "hovering" around the activation point when I'm anticipating a twitch movement in-game.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Speaking of 75% boards, does anyone here have a Vortex Race 3? I'm considering one myself since I want a new board.
I'm really excited for it. Looks much better to me than the KBDfans 75% I had been eyeing but cancelled because it's rather pricey and didn't feel 100% on.

You might say I was only feeling 75%.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I never thought I could hate anything more than artisanal keycaps yet here we are.

Kill with fire: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/waffle-key-kitty-artisan-keycap

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Clears feel great and are socially acceptable.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

redeyes posted:

come on now, clears can't be THAT much better than browns

dammit, now I need to buy a board with clears because I love browns
I severely dislike browns ... Clears are definitely my sweet-spot. I just don't feel any resistance at all on browns and perpetually bottom them out.

But it's such a personal thing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

pgroce posted:

I tried a coworker's Code with Browns today and it didn't feel good at all, just kind of mushy. Do Clears have a better-defined "bump" than Browns, or are they just stiffer?

Kind of worried now about the Whitefox with "Clear-like" switches I'm gonna get in a few months or whenever....
Clears have a definite bump.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LionArcher posted:

Or people who have a private office :smuggo:

I used to :(

Maybe again very soon.

I think greens are less annoying than blues to be honest. They're not quite as sharp/grating. But I wouldn't use either around other people.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I was annoying myself with blues.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The WASD Keyboard is the most commonly recced board around here.
Yeah, the main difference between that and their CODE is design ... but the painted ABS caps on the CODE are really lovely. Seems really strange for something marketed as premium. They're thin & cheap feeling, lose their texture quickly, and eventually the black just rubs off and leaves lit up smudges.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Megalixir posted:

Massdrop delayed the Pok3r RGB drop to an unspecified time
They have non-RGB up right now however which is vastly superior for me: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-poker-iii-compact-keyboard

The issue is that RGB can't have Clears or Greens -- they're not manufactured to work with that kind of lighting. (Also if it matters RGB comes with ABS keycaps which I never want again.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 29, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh misunderstood. Thought you meant a forthcoming one.

It's probably the manufacturer rather than Massdrop though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Did this while catching up on last weekend's Game of Thrones.

Not sure how I feel about the pink keys' legends being a darker blue, but I'm guessing it would have looked awful if they used the same light colour. It's this set: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tai-hao-paradise-pbt-keycap-set-massdrop-debut

This is a WASD V2 with Cherry MX Greens that I got without keycaps. Was temporarily using some shine-through ones while waiting for these to arrive. It's my permanent home keyboard, though I may replace it when that K-Type one eventually arrives.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I guess the CODE has a slightly different backplate, and a luminous layer behind the keys to go with the lighting.

The CODE defaults with lovely thin ABS caps, WASD has options or even no caps.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nope. It's as-is.

So all that said ... some people are totally happy with them. And I know one guy who owns one and insists the paint hasn't come off his caps (turns them into translucent lit smears) so I don't know what we're doing differently.

I did like the keyboard for years, and it had a nice solid "deliberate" feeling which carried through the design as well. It's just that when I finally switched to PBT I thought "wow this is better". Absolutely nothing stopping you from getting the CODE and then grabbing a keycap set that attracts your eye from somewhere later. (But as people have said, that black Vortex PBT set seems to suit the CODE better than any other. I used gradient blue caps with shine-through legends, but the luminous layer behind the caps looked "wrong" against them, like a non-matching off-light blue.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If anyone wants a deal and doesn't mind a slightly worn ABS spacebar, I want to sell:

• this (really great TKL Das with metal construction and Greetech Brown switches -- I simply don't like browns, but this is the best constructed mechanical keyboard I've owned ... I've even used the ruler attached underneath that's designed as a slight lift)
  • this (fantastic TKL with Cherry Clears and the "vintage" caps) -- this is great to me but I have other keyboards coming with Clears and lighting and poo poo, I just don't need it. This is mechanically my perfect keyboard though.)
  • and I suppose this (I originally bought this as something to compliment my office MBP but it turned out to be my workhorse keyboard at a different office. Mine is the white version. I love it, but I'm getting a Pok3r and don't need to keep this around. The original caps are all PBT and great. It came with some colour accents for the modfiers too.)

I'm willing to ship, but these would be super cheap to anyone in Toronto.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Soooooooooo... I'm ending up with no usable mech keyboards after selling a couple here (though the Das with Greetech Browns is still up for grabs) and waiting at least a month for a new one from Massdrop.

Brother lent me a Pok3r in the meantime ... he has more keyboards than devices hah. Put on some laser-etched PBT caps. I quite like the look!

Just wanted to say, the Poker 3 isn't exactly the huge upgrade over the 2 that I assumed it would be. The main improvements are ... heavier, three layers of programmability + 31 keys per macro.

But it's just not as elegant as the 2. On the 2 you have the default Fn commands layer, and activate macros with the Pn button + selected keystroke. On the 3 you have to programme macros on a custom selectable layer to Fn + key, so you lose the default Fn functionality. This is kind of a pain in the rear end as many/most are pretty necessary, i.e. F1-F12 ... home/end/cursors, etc.

As well the Poker 2 mapped cursors to WASD which is far more intuitive to me and easier to reach than the 3 putting them on IJKL. Stuff like home/end is more logical on the 2 to me as well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

I live in Toronto and am PMing you!
Verdict?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I still haven't pulled the trigger on it. I still have those Miami Dolch DSAs coming ... but those are ABS and these are PBT...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah I kind of blew it on that ... but I guess we'll see. Might not be so bad as doubleshot ABS? Here's hoping.

Was thinking if I were to get Godspeed it'd have to be for my forthcoming Race3 ... but screw trying to match caps to those nonstandard keys. Fortunately the caps it comes with look good.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Weirdly all my Massdrop stuff has shown up anywhere between 1-6 weeks early this year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

At a new tech job and I'm the only keyboard guy, though one has an old MS "natural" keyboard.

But the programmers are intrigued, and my report says he loves the sound hahaha. (Pok3r with Clears)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

You need to go about this delicately. Read up on nudge theory.

Come in one day with a minivan keyboard and act like it's nbd

They'll be hooked
Haha ... I'm not trying to be a pusher. I've been there 2.5 weeks, but today Massdrop came up...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Did this to my WASD V2 with Greens using these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/top-printed-side-printed-dsa-pbt-keycap-caps-for-usb-wried-mechanical-keyboard-104-keys/32813738267.html (note if you're curious, it took like 8 weeks to arrive in Canada)

Feels loving WEIRD. Never had DSA profile before. They're much flatter than the caps I'm used to. It works much better when I extend the keyboard legs; used to have it lie flat otherwise.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No impressions really ... didn't have any reason to interact with them. The Aliexpress tracking didn't work after the package got on the slow boat across the ocean. It arrived a week before I could have opened a dispute... but it arrived.

The keys themselves look and feel fine to me, besides the weird low profile. The PBT feels a bit thinner than the Tai-Hao Miami-style ones I just replaced, but in practice it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm just having a bit of trouble typing as accurately as usual.

Actually even before I replaced my alpha-keys, I was replacing the modifiers while watching a baseball game. I noticed right away I was typing on the wrong keys just having lost the feel of tab/caps/shift on the left. I was sub-consciously finding the correct alphas based on where my pinky lay. Now that the keyboard is all DSA it all feels strange. That said, the F & J homing profile works great. The ridges are slightly closer together.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Do it.

I'm not very good at this.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Your next purchase should be Cherry MX Clears :)

The Keyboard Your Coworkers Won't Bash Your Head In With™

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm open to other types, but Clears are excellent and not noisy.

Also I like keycap set compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My Race 3 shipped a day early. Still haven't had a late Massdrop order :D