Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

This is available on Amazon (with coating) for $41.99 but you’ll also receive it within a week and not a year. Massdrop has not made a single estimated ship date for me this year, and I don’t ever expect them to start trying to hit them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“surebet”" post="“475896362”"]
tbf for something as off the shelf as this i can only hope that they’ll meet their shipping target, although massdrop

they have their uses for canadian buyers, since everything on amazon.ca is hilariously overpriced
[/quote]

1. The items I’ve ordered this year have all also been off-the-shelf (other than maybe the cat face keycaps?)
2. This one isn’t off-the-shelf, as it’s specially made w/o the coating.

I don’t deny that Massdrop has its uses, especially outside the US, but they’re incredibly mismanaged and in my personal experience getting worse rather than better. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if the SA Carbon set estimated for Mar 22 actually arrives before Q3 next year.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

surc posted:

:psyduck: Why do people always do this poo poo in the hardware threads? Not everybody is looking for the highest end poo poo, and just linking the keyboards you love while ignoring their requested budget info is not helpful.

Chikmiki If you do a lot of gaming I'd personally recommend spending a bit more

Lol

There is also the Product Recommendation Thread for people looking for general use items instead of hobbyist, if the recommendations from hobbyists are too far from what is expected. But the thread isn’t full of salesmen, they recommend what they like.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 22, 2017

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

G-Prime posted:

Anybody ordered directly from Tai-Hao before and know what the normal turnaround time for delivery to the US is? They claimed it shipped out over 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen a thing about it making it through customs stateside yet.

I haven't ordered from tai-hao myself, but this is not out of the ordinary from what I've heard. ~2 mo it may be time to worry, but i've heard 1mo is expected.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

That was a bit of a shitshow. Had my Godspeed Cockpit and Modifiers on order, chose PayPal, hit Join... then it never stopped loading.

Tried again after a minute this time with CC payment, and the Cockpit was sold out :( but I was able to get Solar Alphas and Novelties in a third attempt, which actually saves me some money. I wanted regular modifiers but the Godspeed key, but I guess I'll just have wacky modifiers instead! :v:

eta: Ooh, perhaps I can make use of the AYY LMAO key to commemorate this madness

eta˛: Uh oh. I just got PayPal confirmation that the payment for the first order went through, but I do not have a Massdrop order confirmation for that. Time to email customer support to tell them to fulfill the first order if they have the Cockpit and cancel the second, or refund the PayPal and fulfill the second order if there are no Cockpits left and lol yeah right I'm hosed aren't I

Welcome to $15 of Massdrop credit (one order only, time-limited for 6 months)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I am unsure of the chemical content of goat piss or how it would interact with those keyboards, but the first one I have and is fairly durable to liquids but not rough handling. If the goat is going to step on it or chew it, it's hosed.

It's also painful as hell to type on because it misses keypresses and doesn't really cushion from the surface underneath it much, but I'm a pretty forceful typist from having learned on a typewriter. That doesn't sound like your primary concern, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mattdev posted:

About an hour since they’re mapped to my top keys. Same with the media keys.

Having a 1x sized right shift has taken much longer to adjust to.

My worst typing habit on a standard keyboard is that I never, ever use right shift.

I have it mapped to activate the numpad layer on the ergodox.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nondescript Van posted:

If you're looking for an expensive Win key-less TKL board, now is your chance

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/gbkbdfans-8x-mechanical-keyboard-kit

I am so glad that is $225 or $270 or w/e because otherwise I'd be purchasing it and never using it like all my other non-ergo boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't it 2 key rollover as well?

64bit_Dophins posted:

Another thing you should consider is that the model Ms aren't 'truly mechanical' and you can still only register two key presses at a time. I didn't really notice this while I was typing on the keyboard even though I am a very fast typist (120-140wpm) because the force required to press the keys is such that it's pretty hard to accidentally press 2 keys at once.