Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Got my first hot-swappable board today, the full-size Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard.

I installed some Kaihl Box White switches and the standard Glorious keycaps. It’s my first set of clicky switches, and they are really satisfying to type on. The barebones board feels really well built, and the ABS keycaps feel a lot more high quality than I was expecting, although I haven’t tried PBT ones yet. They also seem to factory lube the stabilisers, so there’s not really any rattle on those keys. I’m pretty shocked at how good the quality is, considering the relatively low price.

I think I’d probably prefer the TKL form factor, but getting those in an ISO layout is kinda hard at the moment. I’d also like to try out Glorious’s Panda switches, to see what all the fuss is about. Has anyone here tried them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I was wondering if box jades would feel nicer than my box whites.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Did Novel Keys ever fix the issue with some Box Jades struggling to always return the key to neutral after being pressed? I've seen a lot of reports of some Box Jade springs having this issue.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is that thing pre-built or is it a kit?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Not Canada, but honestly ordering from Mech Keyboards outside the US has been a breeze. Ordered a Ducky One 2 SF and got it within a week to the UK.

Were you able to get ISO variants? I have found that ISO stuff is pretty much impossible to find in stock.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Oh no lol I gave up on trying to find nice ISO stuff a long time ago tbh.

Keychron has an ISO 65% at some point but who knows when

What was the transition to ANSI like? I’ve never used it before.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Idobao ID80? I was thinking of picking one up for my first custom board. My only previous experience will be with the GMMK.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

qnqnx posted:

I have an Idobao ID87 and it has been a pretty solid experience, no issues since I got it in November, other than various shipping issues.
That said, I've seen multiple cases of the PCB of the ID80v2 being particularly sensitive to static discharges, but apparently a fix is in the works. Might want to hold on that a bit.

The one I'm looking at is the V1.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Glorious did a stream featuring their upcomming GMMK Pro last night. It features a sound test. You can watch the whole thing here.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Wow, a keyboard mat really does make a huge difference to the sound of a keyboard. I put one of my old Artisan XSoft pads under it and it made everything so much quieter.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I was bummed to discover that my new GMMK TKL board had a nasty metallic ping to it when typing at a normal speed. Turns out it wasn't the board itself, but rather the new Glorious Panda switches that I had bought with it. After swapping in my old Kaihl Box Whites, the pinging sound completely vanished. Apparently, there's a significant amount of leaf ping on the Pandas, and the only way to relieve it is to do a painstaking lube job on the leaf itself.

I can't be bothered to meticulously lube an entire keyboard by myself, so I'm thinking of selling the pandas and trying some linears from a company that offers to manually lube all the switches they sell before they mail them to you. I just have to decide between the Alpacas and the Gateron Ink Blacks. Has anyone tried either of those?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The company in question offers to clip the extraneous legs off the switches, so that's not a thing I'd have to spend any time doing, but I understand the general distaste of mangling switches.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I decided that, if I have the patience to paint an entire army of Ultramarines, I probably have the patience to lube some keyboard switches; so I'm going to try and fix the leaf ping on my Glorious Pandas by lubing them. I've got a guide to fixing the leaf ping, along with some Krytox 205g0, some TriboSys 3203 and some tiny brushes. Hopefully, I won't ruin them through over-lubing!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Got my first set of nice keycaps in the shape of GMK Kaiju.

Not my board, but they look like this:

Will be nice to have something cool looking.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

hbag posted:

i decided to reserve a GMMK pro despite actually kinda needing the numpad
and also the fact i already have a regular GMMK

i am still debating if its worth buying 3 whole-rear end boxes of glorious pandas to use on it when it gets here because god drat theyre like 25 bucks a box

also i live in the UK so im gonna have to swap " and @ around and remap them

FYI, the glorious pandas have some pretty nasty leaf ping when unlubed. I got them with my GMMK TKL, and initially thought that the awful metallic resonance coming from it during typing was due to a noisy case, but after swapping in Kaihl Box Whites, the noise vanished. I’m gonna try and fix them with some lube next week, as the tactile feel is :discourse:.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

They're a nice way to control things like volume. I loved a similar thing on my old Corsair K70.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Opioid posted:

I joined a group buy for this guy

I miss the old Griffin Powermate I used to have. Was nice for volume adjustment and scrolling through browsers pages

https://caps-unlocked.com/cu7/

What is the extra PCB option on this thing's store page for? I've seen that with a few custom kits, and I've never seen it explained. Also, it's a pretty cool looking macro pad!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Gonna build my first kit (Idobao ID80 v1) in a week or so. I know the kit comes with some cherry clip-in stabs, but is it worth upgrading them to Durock screw-ins? I plan to lube them with some Krytox 205g0. Is the benefit from screw-ins just less potential for rattle?

I’ll be pairing them with some lubed Alpaca switches.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I've been thinking about getting one myself, to replace my $20 KB. How was it for you?

edit: It'd be the white SE version, with the speed (silver?) keys. It'd also be my first mechanical keyboard, a topic on which I have no real experience.

I don’t think I could recommend one now, as apparently they’ve greatly diminished in quality since I bought mine back in 2016.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I've been thinking about getting one myself, to replace my $20 KB. How was it for you?

edit: It'd be the white SE version, with the speed (silver?) keys. It'd also be my first mechanical keyboard, a topic on which I have no real experience.

To add more, I was very happy with my Glorious GMMK full-size keyboard. It's well built for a pre-built and doesn't cost as much as the Corsair. It also has a hot-swappable board, so you can change the switches on it if you don't like the Gateron Browns that the fully built one comes with. It doesn't have dedicated media keys, but it does have a function key, so you'll press Function+F7 to pause your music instead. They also make a TKL version and a compact version if you want the same board but smaller.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just spent the past few hours lubing my Glorious Pandas with some TriboSys 3203. It successfully stopped, or at least heavily muted the awful metallic resonance they otherwise produce. I think they lost a negligible amount of tactility, as I did lube the leaf contacts very sparingly, but you can't really tell. I really like how they feel, but couldn't bear the noise they made, so this has been a super worthwhile way to spend an evening!

Edit: Also, as I had never lubed switches before, I was pleasantly surprised by how satisfying it was. I thought it would be the most boring thing in the world. Although, lubing over 30 switches in one sitting was perhaps a bit much.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Completed my first ever custom keyboard build today.

- Idobao ID80 v1 case + hotswap PCB w/ foam insert between PCB and plate & optional acrylic base to let the underglow RGB show
- Durock V2 scew-in stabs lubricated with Krytox 205g0 on the housings and Krytox XHT-BDZ on the bars
- Glorious Panda switches lubricated with TriboSys 3203
- GMK Kaiju keycaps

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, the box whites are really nice, and probably cheaper than a bunch of jades/navies.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Good tip. I've never had Kailhs before but especially the box switches look nice. I don't like wobbly keysand the extra box might come in handy for that.

I adore SA keycaps for their looks, but unfortunately I find them very uncomfortable to type on. I'm a Cherry/GMK kinda person. The caps on the Keychron K4 are a little thin-sounding for my liking, so I might look around for a thick PBT set at some point - but looking for decent-looking, backlit, 96-compatible caps is always a pain in the rear end.

My first non-cherry switch was the Kaihl Box Whites, which are a very pleasant clicky switch. Much nicer than the MX Blues, which feel and sound dreadful.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Also the Idobao ID80.

Here's mine:

Gunder fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 13, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The Drop boards all have north facing switch sockets, so they’ll have basic compatibility issues with Cherry profile key caps.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

I don't know what this means, the socket orientation on the drop boards is exactly the same as it is on every other board I've ever used? (Kira, GMMK, WASD, Filco, etc). I've had a set of gmk caps on here that was totally fine.

It means that Cherry profile keycaps will bang off the switch housing on your ASDF row.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

I literally just put some cherry profile row 2 caps on here and they don't do that though

If you google around for it, you'll find plenty of cases where it happens. It may not happen with GMK caps if they have tighter tolerances than cherry clone manufacturers.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It seems to mostly be an issue with thicker caps.

Edit: Some guy did the marker pen trick to see where the switch housing made contact with the underside of the keycap, and was able to demonstrate it. I can't find it just now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Make sure the stab bars are going into the correct holes on the stab housing.