Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
I'm looking for a TKL or 75% with cherry clear, brown or equivalent switches. I don't care about backlighting that much.

A regular ESC key above `, full set of function keys, directional keys a little bit separated are what I'm after. Having PgUp/Down and so on is a bonus, but not necessary. Is the WASD Code TKL my best option (at $150, and out of stock everywhere) or are there other keyboards I should consider? I have been typing a long time but haven't invested in a good mechanical, using either mac wired/wireless from a few years back before they went to minimal travel or lovely rubber domes. I tend to type very hard, so maybe clears with an O-ring would work best? I write code, long-form documents, and occasionally play games but nothing too serious there.

Apologies for the "tell me what to buy" post, but the options are kind of bewildering. I'm willing to spend some cash, but $150 seems a little high. If that's what it takes though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

SamDabbers posted:

The Cooler Master MasterKeys S seems like a solid TKL option.

It does indeed, thanks for the tip.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
I currently use a pretty basic Coolermaster TKL with Cherry browns but I'm looking for an upgrade. It is rattly as hell, especially the stabilized keys, and it'd be nice to have a metal case that looks better.

I've looked around for parts to build my own, but I'd rather not wait months for things to ship, and following "getting started" links from keyboard subreddits lead me into a labyrinth of dead group buys and unmaintained wiki pages with hundreds of links, and I get annoyed and give up.

I think my ideal is a hot-swappable TKL or 75%, I don't mind the browns but it'd be nice to have the option to replace them without getting a whole new setup. I'd be writing code, words, and playing games on this keyboard, not having separate tilde/backtick and escape keys is a dealbreaker so I think a 65% is out. The Drop CTRL and GMMK (I hate the glorious "race" branding) look like feasible out-of-the-box options but I'm sure there are many others I'm missing. I don't care about lights much, a basic backlight would be fine but not a requirement at all. Where should I look?

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Hello keyboard thread, I'm looking for a new board.

I currently use a drop ctrl with whatever linear switches they came with. The stock stabs were really awful, I've replaced them but I'd love to move to something more compact and nicer in both feel and sound. The ctrl is hot-swap, but I don't really love it and want to try out something different.

I would both game and work on this board, my current setup connects to a macbook pro for work and a pc for everything else via a usb switch, I'd like to keep that kind of thing in place. I'm hesitant to move to something without function keys, I use them a lot both with and without modifiers when working and adding a layer swap modifier seems like it'd be pretty annoying, so I'm looking for 75% type layouts with a function row.

The RK84 seems like it fits the bill, is inexpensive, hotswap, etc. Swapping (and lubing etc) the ctrl's stabs is the only modding I've done, but it was very easy and replacing switches/caps/adding foam/whatever is totally fine, I'd likely swap switches and maybe stabs immediately. I'd use it wired for the usb switch and don't really care about rgb.

Is the RK84 a good bet? Are there other hotswap 75/80 boards I should be looking at? I'd very much prefer something I can buy and receive without waiting around for weeks or months. I am flexible on budget (within reason) and don't mind spending more for something nicer, this is a tool I use a whole lot.