Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My version1 WASD keyboard died. Is WASD still a solid brand? Anything better I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are some good websites for nice keycaps? Price doesn't matter.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Either the Ducky One RGB or Ducky One TKL RGB will have better build quality and more features than the CODE Keyboard, plus it's less expensive. If you don't want RGB backlighting, both keyboards also come in single-color LED backlight and no-backlight versions: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=140

What about Ducky compared with the standard WASD V2 keyboard?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pretty much the same. Looks like the WASD is almost the same as the CODE minus backlighting.

What makes the Ducky's build quality better?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are the differences between the different Topre keyboards: Leopold, Typeforce, Realforce Doubleshot, Realforce 87U?

What is the best place to buy a topre board?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bumpy Johnson posted:

I've ordered from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com twice without issue.

Massdrop also has a drop for the 104-key, variable weight, silenced Topre that ends tomorrow ($275 in case you can't see the price).

Do the silenced versions lose any tactility or anything else?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there anyway to get those Taiho keycaps blank? I like the sunshine and rainbow sets, but I'd want them without any letters.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

That looks like a prebuilt version. Is there a way to do a custom color sett one with PBT?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do people like the 55G of the Variable for the Topre Realforce 87U?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there a website that just sells tons of blank different colored PBT keycaps (or whatever keycap brand is considered nice & better than the default stuff WASD keyboards come with?) I have a specific design I'd like to make in mind that I designed using WASD keyboards color options, but if their keycaps are crap, I'd rather get nice ones and do it myself.

If people plan on using custom keycaps, what is considered the best actual keyboard? I guess it would be referred to as the casing/frame/mounting and switches? Does any one company have a gold standard case if you plan to replace the keycaps anyway?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 28, 2018

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Terminology question. Is there unique terminology that describes the depth of a keyboard case? For example a case with a top & bottom where the keys are partially embedded vs. a case with just a bottom where you can see the entire keycaps including the bottom of the switch. Usually the latter type has no extra non-keycap space on the lateral edges as well.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Likely silly question. Are Tope keycaps special in any way? Can they just be replaced with whatever keycap set one wishes?

I have a topre 55g coming in October for work, and I just received my WASD Code with Zealios 65g for home. The Zealios switches are pretty great, but honestly my cherry mx brown keyboard broke about 5 months ago, and I can't really remember what they felt like to make a fair comparison.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Topre keycap mounts are very different from the more common Cherry MX-style mount. You would need to get keycap sets specifically made for the Topre mount.

Some Topre boards and many clones come with special sliders that have MX-compatible mounts, though.

I purchased a Topre Realforce 87u from massdrop.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topre-...211923039768381

Is that one with special sliders? If not, does anyone know a good source for Topre keycap sets?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

clockwork automaton posted:

I got me some DSA milkshake keycaps for my CTRL and now it's my favorite keyboard. Esp with the outemu blue switches on it which are sooo clicky.

These are awesome. Where did you get them? They seem sold out on the website.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I got a set of custom keycaps. I'm having an issue with the new spacebar key. The little plastic hook devices that act as holding points for the metal spring don't fit in the new spacebar key. They slip out at the lightest touch, where as they fit snugly on the old key. What is the solution to that? Buy new ones? Use a tiny amount of glue? I'm assuming once glue is involved I'd have to purchase new ones anyway in case I ever wanted to swap out the spacebar again?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

AgentCow007 posted:

You're probably Doing It Wrong, but a dab of hot glue never hurt anything.

I'm open to the idea that I could be doing it wrong, but I'm not sure what wrong would like here?

It seems to be 2 little plastic pieces that fits into holes on either end of the bottom of the spacebar key. I removed them from my old spacebar and inserted them into the new one. In the old spacebar the right one sits snugly and I have to use my nail and grab it from underneath to dislodge it. In the new spacebar key it falls out with the lightest touch and I can actually shake the key and it will fall out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My keyboard's C key has stopped responding reliably. It does not register the button press about half the time. At times I can press and hold the c key, nothing will appear for about 5-6 seconds, and then it will finally kick in and make a long lines of ccccccccccc consistently. It seems to work more consistently if I do a full force press of the key than a lighter half-pressure touch.

I've never had an issue like this before, but this is the first time I've owned a non-commercial keyboard. This keyboard was bought off someone on Reddit and was custom built.

I took the key off and inspected the key itself and the switch, but nothing seems obviously wrong from the outside. Is there any easy fix for this or does it involve taking about the board and using a soldering iron?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 23, 2020