Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the production date for the Wooting Two keyboards is finally set, if anyone was in on their Kickstarter or pre-orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone got MT3 profile keycaps from Massdrop and can talk about how they feel to type on?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Alright, looks like I'm going to go in on the Godspeed set. I just hope I don't get hosed too hard on the customs charges in... June I guess

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

I have a set from the original run of MT3 and they're 100% not my jam. What's your general geographic location? We can probably work something out because they're just sitting in a bag in a box with all my other gear at this point.

Sent you a PM; as the name implies, I'm (still) in Canada.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

I've been looking for a gaming keyboard that is much less loud than my rgb razer mechanical blue [...] I was looking for a chiclet-styled kb with silence and easy-clean in mind.

Maybe the Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The Roccat is a dark brushed aluminum, if that makes it any more difficult to choose :v: And a little bit of backlighting definitely can keep a keyboard understated; I'm partial to a slight amber glow just to make it easier to see the keys when I'm in my cave.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So apparently the Wooting Twos are shipping out from 6 January; no idea when they'll actually make it to Canada from the US though.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Meldonox posted:

Is there a particularly good switch or keyboard type for someone who types really hard?

Cherry Browns?

Comedy answer: a Wooting set so that it activates at a minimal activation point but doesn't do anything if you slam it home :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It is a mechanical keybard. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of iron and decorated with ash wood.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is this a Nordic mythology reference?

Dwarf Fortress, actually

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mechmarket does have non-US sellers too, though - the other day I saw someone from PH selling off a full ergo set

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, normally the knob is in front of the keyboard :haw:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

I bought an actually split keyboard (Kinesis Freestyle Edge) to try to deal with persistent shoulder pain I've been getting on the computer (already have tenkeyless, trackball, good chair, adjustable desk, etc so I've gone down the usual routes). I wanted something I could easily return and had a normal key layout so I wasn't very interested in the more esoteric options (uhk, ergodex, etc). So far it feels super weird to type on. It's like I'm not even typing but just wiggling my fingers independently and words appear on the screen. I suppose I'll just get used to it eventually. Anyone have this keyboard and end up happy with it? Any tips for getting used to it?

Tips - start with the keyboard only slightly split and start moving it apart more as you get more comfortable with it. That's how I did it - started with like, no angle between, then slight angle, then split and angled. Took weeks to get used to having them shoulder width apart, but it did happen.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well, I finally got my shipping information for the Dygma Raise I'd preordered last year - like a hotswappable Kinesis ergo KB but with thumb buttons. Interesting to see how well it'll go since I have a Freestyle 2 at work but the Raise doesn't (yet) have tenting...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Koskun posted:

Is that just a mechanical keyboard split in half with 4 spacebar buttons?

Yeah, but with hotswappable sockets and RGB, because RGB is a fact of life these days

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I got the Dygma Raise finally from DHL, and my early thoughts:

I like it! It's going to take a little while to get used to the change from using pinky to hit delete (as on my work Freestyle 2) to using my thumb, but it's also a lot less motion of the wrist to do that. Likewise, once I get home I'm definitely going to have to map PgUp/PgDown/Home/End to keys on Layer 1 as those aren't mapped in the default config (and I can't install the config software on my work computer). While I can't see myself mapping the split spacebar keys right now, once I get used to the keyboard I might as I've noticed all of my spacebar use seems to be from my left thumb on a single button so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The RGB underglow is neat but I'll probably never use it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mistikman posted:

I made the mistake of falling in love with the Cherry MX White switches, since I guess they tend to have had some major quality control issues from the beginning, so everyone avoids them, leading to very few boards being made with them.

I got a board that feels beautiful using them, and I was wondering what switches out there feel closest to the Cherry MX Whites for future purchases.

I have so far experienced Cherry MX Blue, Brown, Green, and obviously White.

The white doesn't have a 'click' sound, but more of a 'thock' at the bottom of the press, but is tactile with a high actuation force. I figured the green should be close, but it's a lot less satisfying when typing.

I am happy to try other brands, but I have never built my own board so a brand that has pre-built boards that look good would be ideal.

You could always get a prebuilt keyboard with hotswap sockets so you can just put whatever you want in there...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

Please tell me more about this keyboard i can bludgeon a man to death with.

:yeah:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ughhhhh I ordered an Aliexpress Cospad case and a LFKeyboards PCB at about the same time; the PCB finally showed up as KPRepublic admitted their carrier had lost the parcel

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

How are you going to survive covid-19 if you don't get your masks from KPRepublic as the special gift for ordering from them?

I got my 3M respirator and filters before they all went OOS :cool:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

LaughingWallaby posted:

Having always used cherry clones, I've been curious about using Kailh Choc low-profile keys for a while now.
Is there a good Kailh Choc-based 40% keyboard that anyone can recommend? Prebuilt would be nice, but I don't mind soldering/assembling one either.

If you get a board with hot-swappable switches, you can use the low-profiles - the pins are the same.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Is that true? I thought the pin positions on Kailh Choc switches are different from the Cherry clones.

This product page for hotswap sockets says there are two types: one for Cherry MX and one for Chocs.

Whoop, my bad. I looked at mine closer and they're definitely different :downs:

The Planck Light or WoodKeys Meira look the closest to what you want, but the former is a groupbuy KB on Drop and the latter is currently on waitlist.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 10, 2020

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Man, now I kind of want to build some sort of "keyboard device" LED bar where all it does is indicate if Caps Lock / Num Lock / Scroll Lock? are on

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What's the best mechanical numpad? I bought a cheap non mechanical one and it's super light and crappy (obviously) and I want something with more weight. I just need to to function like a numpad. I see some Varmilo ones out there, are they any good? I'd like something with some weight to it if possible.

The steel Cospad case is nice and sturdy - though the adhesive on the diffuser plate isn't perfect. I've got mine with a PCB from LFKeyboards that makes the switches hot-swappable, but LFK is one guy working in his spare time so the PCB took forever to get to me.

If hotswap sockets aren't important to you, though, probably easiest to get the whole thing assembled from KPRepublic and only have to deal with shipping once.

e: if you do get it from LFK, make sure you pick up some plastic spacers to brace the PCB against the case.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

My Durgod Fusion showed up. I'm happy with the color match between the Steam color version and the 8bitdo NES inspired mouse. The controller is very different on the button color but I don't really care about that, and could probably 3d print something if I did. The main grey on the case is pretty close between the mouse and keyboard, but the photo makes the keyboard look quite a bit lighter. In person it's close.

Aren't purple buttons SNES and red ones NES? Digging back in my memory for that one

Ninja edit: yep, that's why, the round controller is a SNES and the mouse is a NES. Gotta pay more attention to your retro consoles, bud

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to chime in here - I've got some carpal tunnel in both wrists from years of lovely lovely keyboard ergonomics; at work (when I'm in the office, anyway, which hasn't been for months) I use a Kinesis Freestyle 2 with the matching keypad (in the split) and the tenting kit. It's worked really well - of course there was a period of adjustment, but having the tenkey in the middle has worked surprisingly well.

The Edge is, to my understanding, the same as the Freestyle 2 but with mechanical keys and RGB. You should be able to find one of the older Freestyles kicking around for cheap, so if you're hesitant or not sure if a split is quite your style, I'd suggest trying one of those before going all-in on the top end model.

(AFAICT the difference in the older Freestyles is less in the keys and more in the PCB / cable layout; I don't remember if the tenting kits for the newer kits would work with the older ones, though.)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That's really where the YMMV comes in with split keyboards vs reduced keyboards - if you mouse more than type, you won't see as much benefit from a split versus even just a tenkeyless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

A membrane Freestyle is currently sitting as the backup option. Just have to find one. Rather have mechanical but surprise, poo poo's expensive and a lot of big ticket things are all coming due.

e: went ahead and got one, no addon stuff though.

As someone who use(d) a Kinesys Freestyle at work and has RSI issues - I would strooooooongly recommend getting the tenting kit. My home split keeb doesn't have it and my wrists definitely miss it.