Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kudaros posted:

Yeah I saw that cloud-based push notification deal. I've disabled most notifications on my phone, so that'd be a nightmare. I'm leaning toward this corsair k70 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816080 .

I'm going to try out some keyboards at Best Buy and investigate further.

K70 is the only keyboard I will even think about using because easy cleaning + volume roller/media keys puts it in a class of its own, aside from Azio knockoffs that are worse quality but the same cost.

It's loving insane to me that there are still full size keyboards that don't have dedicated media keys + volume roller. Pure business use is the only case where I can imagine tolerating a keyboard without a volume roller (since you just listen to music on your phone there), and ain't nobody buying mechanical keyboards for their secretary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

4.5 years. I have one of the old red LED only ones. The cord has taken a ton of abuse - it sits on a corner on my desk where it's frequently either dragged a bit or pushed by something, and it still looks brand new. It is a very bulky cord, so I would expect the failures happen when it's forced to do really tight radius turns.

AFAIK the major issues were on some of the early run RGB keyboards, at the time they were much worse than the red ones. I never use the LEDs but they still all work.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 2, 2018

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Addamere posted:

I got my K70 Lux today and am 100% satisfied with it; however, everyone I've spoken with via Internet voice chat has commented negatively on how damned loud it is. It sounds like I'm Natasha from Goldeneye over here.

Do you have a desktop mic? If you do, put it on top of some foam for vibration isolation.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

My beloved original K70 seems to finally be dead, so I guess I'm looking for a new keyboard.

I'm looking for a new proper fullsize with media buttons and a volume scroller (not buttons). What's on the market like that today?

I would strongly prefer another aluminum bodied keyboard, and spill resistance would be nice though I know that's unlikely.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

spunkshui posted:

The k70 has gone through a few different versions here is the most recent version.

Great sale too right now.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/key...s-ch-910941a-na

They made the keys better. They made the wrist guard attach with magnets so you can’t break the connectors and they made the switches optical if you select that option.

For $120 that is a ridiculously good keyboard. (Sale price)

That sounds like a great possibility, thanks. Do you know if you can permanently disable lighting in hardware like you could on the original K70?