Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Yo, do you guys gently caress with any of the crazy inexpensive budget mechs that have been coming out lately? I just bought a fully mechanical backlit keyboard with Outemu brown switches and a metal back plate from Velocifire for $27 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8YTYX (with code 43NROQKN)

My current keyboard is a WASD CODE 87 with Cherry MX Clears and white double shot PBT key caps. I bought it three years ago, when ~$100+ was the sweet spot for entry level mechs, so it's great to see the entry cost being lowered to the point where anyone can afford a decent quality keyboard.

Romulux fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Constellation I posted:

Yup, but honestly the best bang for the buck is the $30 Team Wolf Zhuque which has hotswappable switch sockets. Comes with Outemu Blues which are way better than Cherry Blues. Problem with it is the tacky gold and puke RGB lighting.

I can't find that keyboard for less than $60 anywhere, and of course it's not currently running on Massdrop. Sounds great though, I'd love to be able to swap out switches easily.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
I just found an old Dell AT101W (aka Bigfoot) with Alps black switches, which have a kinda weird tactile bump that I'm not a big fan of. The bump is longer than other tactile switches I've used, so it makes the key press feel kind of sloppy. I looked it up on youtube and you can easily pull the housing of the switches apart from the top of the board and modify the internals to suit your preference. You can take a spring out to make them linear, break tabs off that same spring to make them clicky, and bend the springs to change the force needed to press the key. Pretty sick.

So now I'm working on cleaning it and pulling the springs out to make them linear. Some people say the linear version of the Alps switches are much smoother than Cherry MX reds and blacks, so that's pretty cool, especially for a keyboard I just pulled out of a closet.

Only downsides for me: it's loving HUGE and it's 2-key rollover, so it's not practical to keep on my desk, but it'll be a fun project and I may use it for typing every once in a while.

They can be found all over the place for cheap (<$3 at most thrift stores) so if anyone wants to pick one up to mod as well here are the videos I used for reference:

Linear mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJq434UYTA
Clickfoot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zdlx6VH1iU
Cleaning/adjusting actuation force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mhmb2kBuwQ

Pimped out Bigfoot (not mine(I wish it was))

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

TheFluff posted:

I was looking at the Havit 390L which seemed kinda interesting but the Kailh switches are marked as Nope Zone in the OP.

I just bought one, I'll let you know how it is.
I also bought the mouse Havit makes with a WORM SHAPED BIONIC DESIGN for $6 https://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-Wireless-Vertical-Adjustable-HV-MS55GT/dp/B01MG8W2U9/ :pusheen:

shovelbum posted:

Holy poo poo this WASD CODE is a lot nicer than my garbo logitech wireless that bends like a taco whenever I type.

Yeah I love mine, it's still going strong after 3 years, I just put o-rings on it and it's a really nice change.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Fixit posted:

It seems like that review pretty much bashes Romger G switches. Have Cherry MX become the standard for mechanical and anything different is taboo?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I see there are so many "Cherry MX clones" and so many caps that fit Cherry MX stems that's it's basically just become the most common form factor.

Cherry MX was definitely the standard for a while, but this hobby is all about personal preference, so it makes sense that there area lot different types of switches being made now.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

redeyes posted:

[edit] can someone please explain why all modern keyboards are ruined with no numpad?! I don't understand it and it makes me angry.

They have a smaller footprint, and a numpad isn't a necessity for a lot of people. The less keys on a board the less materials go into it, making them cheaper to produce.

I don't use a numpad, and need more space to the right of the keyboard for my mouse. The only boards I use right now are TLK. I'm about to move into 68 key territory cause I could go without F keys, but still need the arrow keys.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

AgentCow007 posted:

Well that didn't last long. USB kept disconnecting/reconnecting even when it was sitting still and I was away from my desk. Tried replacing the USB cable, no luck. Such a shame because those low-profile Kailh blue switches were just delightful and nobody else uses them in their product. RIP.

I bought the same keyboard and I'm loving it. I'm using it right now, actually. I haven't tested to see if I actually type faster on it, but it really feels like I do just because the key presses are sooooo short, and I'm coming from MX Clears, so they're way lighter than I'm used to. As soon as I started using it I realized that I prefer it for typing, and after owning it for about a month I also prefer it for fps games. I still like the MX Clears, but this keyboard has definitely earned its place on my desk.

The switches are so light and airy feeling while having a solid bottom out that's short and without the squish of o-rings. It's insanely clicky too. I've never owned a blue style switch until now and I love that these click on both the downstroke and upstroke.. It's like a bonus click every time I press a key.

I'd say it's well worth $60 just to check it out, especially if you guys are already into dropping hundreds on keebs. I'm sure some of the more seasoned vets in this game will find some issues with it, but the built quality feels good to me. I'm actually really impressed by it, especially for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Re: the difference between Kailh Box and Cherry MX (and Kailh Blues)