Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

fallenturtle posted:

Anyone had any experience getting returned keyboards from mechanicalkeyboards.com? I'm tempted by a keyboard they have but since they make buyer's pay return shipping for keyboards I'm a little paranoid of the quality of a return.

Why are you under the impression that free return shipping is a common thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

TheFluff posted:

I was looking at the Havit 390L which seemed kinda interesting but the Kailh switches are marked as Nope Zone in the OP.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Kailh switches are actually quite good now. OP really needs to update that.

I have no experience with their new low-profile switches, but I do know a guy who's ordered a keyboard with those switches (I think it was that Havit). Will report back on his experience when I hear about it

I just bought the Havit 390L and its soooooooo good. I really wanted a non-chiclet scissor-switch keyboard but apparently that's not a real thing. I was thinking about rigging up an old laptop keyboard with a Teensy but this is so good I'm not going to bother. I also got Amazon's 4 year warranty thing for $1.88 which seems like a decent gamble... I don't remember the last time I had a keyboard that lasted 4 years.

I can't speak to longevity or anything because I've been using it for about 30 minutes but hot drat it's amazing to type on, assuming low-profile is your cup of tea. My Corsair K70 can get hosed. Who abrasively textures a non-standard, unreplaceable spacebar? Assholes, that's who.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

AgentCow007 posted:

I just bought the Havit 390L and its soooooooo good...

Well that didn't last long. USB kept disconnecting/reconnecting even when it was sitting still and I was away from my desk. Tried replacing the USB cable, no luck. Such a shame because those low-profile Kailh blue switches were just delightful and nobody else uses them in their product. RIP.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
No, it was plugged directly into the back ports of the PC. I'll give it a try on a powered hub

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Good call... it appears the USB3 port I was plugged into is malfunctioning or not putting out enough power. I tried it on a powered hub and couldn't get it to disconnect, even with exaggerated amounts of cable jostling. I rearranged everything and plugged it into a nearby USB2 port and it's been solid so far. Fingers crossed! I have till March to return it.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah if the motherboard is being used, it’s providing enough power. You should next look into the quality/capacity of the cable. Did it ship with the keyboard? Do other users report the same issue?

The cable is probably junk but the keyboard has a narrow hole around the plug and none of my other cables fit except my 7mm plug one, but that doesn't fit all the way or seat properly. Luckily everything has been working out since I swapped ports. I do think that USB port is faulty, I recall having some issues with a USB3 storage device now that I think of it.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Can anyone recommend me a 60-65% kit? (the kind with the arrow keys squished in) I am grieving the loss of my low-profile Kailh board from Amazon that has a dying switch and I want to rebound into something completely unreasonable.

I have my heart set on Jade switches, and eventually the Danger Zone keycaps floating around massdrop, but who knows if/when that will ever happen again

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 9, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Guys I did a keeb

more: https://imgur.com/gallery/he29IC0

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

TheFluff posted:

I have that Havit board (or, well, the HV-KB395L which is the full-size version, because I am completely incapable of understanding people who voluntarily buy crippled keyboards) and I've been using it quite a bit recently. I bought it for much the same reason you're describing - I was used to low profile scissor switches and wanted something similar, and wasn't sold on any of the Cherry switches. I ended up finding and restoring my dad's 1989 Apple Extended Keyboard instead but I need to take that apart and clean a few switches again so I've been using the Havit until I get around to that.

To actually get to the point, it's fine, a good upgrade over a regular scissor switch board, and it's also definitely better than any Cherry board I've tried. The keys are quite light (as in little force required), but the tactility is okay. The clicking is high pitched, but quite subdued and definitely not annoying (to me). Short travel is not a problem at all, you stop thinking about it almost immediately. There are a few downsides to it though. The caps are made of a thin, shiny ABS plastic with basically no texture from the factory, so they get that kinda slimy feeling all old ABS caps have pretty much immediately. Not too big of a deal, and especially not at this price point, but still worth mentioning. Another minor issue is that some of the switches can be made to activate before the click/tactile bump, if you carefully hover on it. Seemingly a manufacturing tolerance issue, because only some of the switches exhibit the issue (seemingly random). For regular full speed typing this isn't a problem at all and the vast majority of the time it's completely unnoticeable, but if you're the kind of person who hovers on the bump indecisively a lot I can see it becoming an issue.

In the end it's a good board and it's pretty dang cheap, so my recommendation is to go for it. I know several people who like it a lot.

Don't ever buy anything with Cherry browns in it, by the way. People who talk about Cherry browns as tactile switches don't understand what tactility means and have probably never used an actually decent keyboard. MX Browns are basically very poor linear switches.

I have the short board and it's pretty hot. After 6 months my D key started being intermittent and Kailh shipped me a new board no questions asked. After 1 year, my extended protection plan that was like $2 kicks in for a few more years, so I anticipate trading it in a few more times along the way because I gently caress up keyboards somehow. Anyhow I loved the click bar switches so much I built a split ortho board with full-size clicky Kailh's and they're amazing.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I custom ordered some laser-cut acrylic backplates from Ponoko... got the measurements right first try :hellyeah:

They aren't any better or worse for the underglow effect, I just wanted to see my sweet, clean PCBs/soldering

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 9, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I used to be mortified by the spergs that take apart every switch to change springs/stems/lube, but today I just disemboweled a spare Havit 390L and pulled the clickbar out of every low-profile Kailh switch to make it linear. The result is amazing and I'm really enjoying it. I was going to desolder and replace the switches with red chocs from novelkeys, but apparently the stems on Havit and the choc switches are slightly different and I would have had to replace the caps as well.

I really hope the choc switches make a bigger impression on the scene... as much as I like building regular keebs, I type about twice as fast on low-profile. Kailh has a great variety of switches, but PCBs and keycap options are severely lacking. I could probably figure out PCB design software and draw something up, but I'm still at the mercy of whatever keycaps are out there.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Were Royals not included in the whole stem-breaking fiasco? I just got my new batch of fixed Jades today. I would be weary of old stock when it comes to box switches.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

My Jades Addiction continues. TADA68 kit with the new retooled Box Jades (Navy spacebar), and clipped/lubed Cherry stabilizers.

I just got the cheapest kit and was thinking I'd upgrade the caps when I had the budget and saw something I liked, but the included caps are really nice... much nicer than they look on the website. I absolutely love the form factor as well, so I think this is going to be my daily driver.

The only negatives I came across are the crappy boot loader on the PCB, and an issue with using PCB-mounted stabilizers on the spacebar. The PCB has stabilizer mounting holes, but the spacebar ones are upside-down compared to the rest of the 2U ones, and the relief cuts in the mounting plate which are supposed to give clearance to the stabilizer bar are on the wrong side. I had to dremel out notches in the plate, which was an absolute nightmare.

Anyways I highly recommend the kit, especially to anyone on a budget... just get plate-mounted stabilizers if you replace the stock ones.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 26, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
There are quite a few ergonomic mechanical keyboards... they're usually split in half and have adjustable "tenting", but as far as I'm aware they're all ortholinear in an attempt to be even more ergonomic. They're mostly all kits too, so there's that. Check out the Ergodox and Iris. You'd have to buy/build a 10-key if you wanted one, but it's doable.

I'm pretty sure those aren't even remotely what you're looking for, but I doubt you'll ever find it. I, too, lost a Microsoft peripheral long ago. RIP in peace, Intellimouse Optical. There are even Chinese manufacturers printing exact replicas but they aren't the same.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I too am an Intellimouse fan. The Zowie EC1-A is the closest I could get to it in design with a modern mouse.

I found the Steelseries Sensei Raw to be very close to it in shape and nice to use, but they die fast and the newest Sensei is a textured gamer abortion. I have the Zowie too and it's not bad.

Someone needs to make interchangeable mouse parts like mechanical keyboards do with switches so we can just build an endgame mouse and repair parts as we go.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

redeyes posted:

I'm sure this isn't exactly right but MS makes the Intellimouse again: https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/microsoft-classic-intellimouse

Yeah... there are several versions and they remade the wrong one (Explorer 3.0 instead of the Optical 1.1)

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
So I've been waiting for a while for Iris PCBs to show up on keeb.io, and now that they're finally restocked, I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on everything I need to make a MiniDox instead https://github.com/That-Canadian/MiniDox_PCB Mmmmmmm

So what are the cool kids into for linears these days? I really liked the sound of lubed Gateron Yellows on Youtube, but I'm worried about wobble since the Gat Blues I got are pretty lovely in that department. I was kind of checking out the Kailh Pro Burgundys but I haven't seen anyone review them yet. Maybe Kailh Box Reds with Gateron Yellow springs? Help me, kweebs.

Malefitz posted:

So my cherry switch tester arrived. I really like the brown switches and I guess I will go with these for now.

I really prefer the quieter sound of the O-rings, that came with the tester. But it does make the typing feel a bit more squishy. The OP talks about some good alternatives to O-rings "(...) new solutions coming out like sound dampening clamps or specially designed quiet switches." but doesn't go into great details about these alternatives. Can someone clarify if these "dampening clamps" are actually worth it or if there exists a quieter switch that feels like the cherry brown?

I believe the clips are called Zealencios, but there are also switches that have rubber bits fused into the stem that cushion both the downstroke and upstroke... I think Cherry has a MX Silent series. There are lots of reviews on YT of either one, or both on the same keyboard.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 15, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

G-Prime posted:

How heavy of a spring are you into? Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow feels like a dream to me, but they're 70g, and that's pretty rough for some people.

Yeah I definitely like the lighter side of things. I have a board with MX Reds that are a little too light (and scratchy, ugh). I just pulled the clickbar out of a Box Jade and a Box Navy, and the Jade feels about right.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
It means you need to spend $100 or so on a good mechanical keyboard, but then be slightly disappointed with the way the switches feel, and then learn to solder and build at least 4 more keyboards from kits and parts while you wait 9 months for the keycaps you preordered on Massdrop to arrive.

tater_salad posted:

Brown's are the best key fight me

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 17, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Beta testing a Minidox build with some acrylic plates. Haven't soldered anything because I'm waiting on a polished stainless top plate and kailh pro burgundy switches. I am loving addicted to on-demand laser cutting services, guys... they're so badass I just can't help myself.

Anyways, I really like the layout. The vertical stagger is way nicer to type on than a straight ortholinear like my knockoff Let's Split. I just don't really like the main thumb button. I think it either needs to be a stabilized 2U button, or a 1U that follows the arc of the other 2 thumb buttons... which I can totally make and order myself plate-wise, but for the PCBs I need to learn Eagle or some poo poo and I'm not looking forward to that.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 23, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Mostly assembled Minidox. I'm still waiting for my laser-cut steel plates ...the first ones were missing screw holes so I'll be waiting another few weeks for properly cut ones before I can solder it all up. I got translucent opal bottom plates in anticipation of some sweet RGB underglow action.

I think I've settled on Gateron Yellows for the build. The Kailh Pro Burgundy springs were kind of heavy at the bottom. I'm also giving up on lubing switches for now, cause even though they sound great, they feel all mushy and lovely.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Finished my Minidox build

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Sacred Cow posted:

Speaking of keycaps...

Me: I can’t wait for the Pulse caps I ordered back in April to arrive!

FedEx: LOL

Oh man... for them to actually declare something damaged instead of packing it back up, and the more or less non-fragile nature of keycaps, I bet the package tore open in sorting scattering keycaps under and inside of machinery never to see the light of day again.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I considered the Race 3 for a long time but settled on the TADA68 which is basically the same layout without the F row, better keycaps, and has a kit option so you can pick switches (IMO kailh box > cherry/clones in every way). I like it so much that I'll probably buy another one just to have one clicky and one linear.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

G-Prime posted:

rapidly tap on the BOX Pale Blue, which has the most high-pitched, pingy click I've ever heard

box jades be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XhIuqsWVk

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

teethgrinder posted:

Finally got around to soldering together a Planck kit.

Congrats on building a build :D It looks great

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

internet celebrity posted:

I think I figured out my ideal 60% layout on my latest build.

DSA Legacy Solace on Aliaz 70g. DZ60, brass plate, cheapo Aliexpress wooden case, cheapo Aliexpress wooden wrist rest. I didn't like the compromises I've seen to get primary layer arrow keys on a 60 and I never use the right side mods so I figured a line nav down there was the way to go. The CTRL in the caps lock position and the F1 on the bottom are function keys. And the ~` on the right is backspace. Side note does anyone have a DSA Legacy Solace 1u backspace they can part with?

That looks really, really nice... the only thing that would make that better is if the wrist rest was a lid/cover. Right now my main is the 65% Tada68 and have been thinking about trying a 60% because the extra row on the right isn't all that convenient, and I don't use the whole arrow cluster often... but I DO hit the right arrow a ton to skip past automatic right-parens while programming so your layout would be nice to have.

I need to stop being a pussy and get used to the minidox though... but every time I use it I think of something else to change. I'm not feeling the Gateron Yellows... the weight is good but I'm too spoiled by the quality of box switches. Changing them out would mean desoldering everything, including the pro micros which would SUCK. I also keep ordering more laser cut acrylic because I don't like the tenting arm positions, but not sure where they should go exactly, or if I want 3 or 4 legs per side.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

buglord posted:

please I have two keyboards now don’t send me through the hell of having a third one and needing to return 2

The one in the upper left... I have two of those

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Don Lapre posted:

There is a gk64 listing on Amazon prime right now for $129. Looks identical to the build I just got off ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-keycaps-Profile-Switches/dp/B07F7ZR76W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546358564&sr=8-1&keywords=gk64

That layout has a slightly irregular stagger on the ZXC row... that would drive me insane

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Addamere posted:

I got my K70 Lux today and am 100% satisfied with it; however, everyone I've spoken with via Internet voice chat has commented negatively on how damned loud it is. It sounds like I'm Natasha from Goldeneye over here.

On the flipside, nobody on Discord can hear my box jades and I am very disappointed by this.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for the info. So overall do you regret the Minis? Do you have multiple keyboards you switch between depending on what you're doing? This would be my only keyboard if I got a Mini.

If you have to ask, you'll probably be fine with a 60%. I couldn't adjust to my 40% boards for coding (need all the symbols regularly) but the 60% had no adjustment period. The F keys being on a macro is not unlike my laptop, since it uses the F keys for brightness, volume, etc. I switch boards often just cause I'm a keeb weeb, but my TADA68 is a fine daily driver.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just as soon as people start listing "mech keys" as their sexual orientation.

"Are you mechanical keyboard or rubber dome?"
Topre: "I'm non-binary"

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Is that for one-handed use? Is it in an airplane? Tell me everything, I must know

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Johnny Law posted:

Are you saying the Jades feel harder to depress than the Navies? My understanding was that Jades have the lower activiation force...

I think he just means there's not a noticeable difference side-by-side. This has been my experience as well when trying to mix switches (for heavier spacebar, etc). It's not distinguishable enough to justify the effort.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

NTRabbit posted:

Plus the modularity appeals to my indecisive brain.

This is something you will not regret. Try all of the switches. I am like 5 keyboards deep in this and still am not 100% happy with my switch choices.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Goons, what do I want for a bog standard 60% layout, hot swap kit/board, hopefully QMK or something at least mildly programmable? I'm tired of soldering things up and deciding I just want different switches.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're moving away from the group buy model and towards an online storefront model. It kind of sucks.

I don't know if you can even call it a storefront if you can't look at things without registering/logging in, etc. Also lmao at naming a luxury brand "Drop" since it sounds like scratch-and-dent merchandise that fell off the back of a truck.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Exit Strategy posted:

In a week you'll be designing your own PCBs.

I started out with a Corsair and now I have homies in Barcelona to get a good deal on laser cut stainless steel

"All I wanted was a Pepsi..."

e: Also just ordered a new switch tester

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 16, 2019

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
You're probably Doing It Wrong, but a dab of hot glue never hurt anything.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I'm turning in my Keeb Weeb badge and gun today for a Matias Wired Aluminum. It's like I'm typing on sunshine. After all of my weebing out with switches, lubing, custom layouts, etc., I think my favorite keyboard right now is actually the Microsoft Surface Pro type cover. I wanted something similar, like the MS Surface Keyboard, but gently caress dealing with bluetooth and batteries and all of that. Amazon reviews for similar Matias boards say the lettering wipes off after a few weeks so we'll have to see, but at a cool $55 its no big loss compared to what I've gotten used to keyboards costing.