Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey all. I've been using the same Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Keyboard(the accompanying mouse is long gone) for like 12 years now, and it's finally, FINALLY really starting to crap out, it disconnects constantly likely due to something loose inside, it's been my lapboard forever and has fallen off my lap/the seat plenty of times but still keeps going. The screen just got knocked out of place somehow so I think it's time to retire this one.

I either want to get a replacement or want to know if there's one comparable to it. I guess it's an extremely desirable KB/M combo because every single new in box one is stupidly overpriced, I'm not entirely keen on buying a used keyboard because I am averse to dealing with other people's keyboard goop, but used revolution keyboards are a pittance. Should I just deal with the goop and buy a used one, or is there somewhere I can get a new set that isn't jacked up way more than anyone would pay? I know it's an old model, but it's still great as a lapboard, tanky as hell, and comfortable to use.

Any help would be much appreciated. I might try shooting offers at the ridiculous high price listings but I'm not sure anyone has ever actually accepted a Best Offer on ebay before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LuckyCat posted:

I put out a lowball on an item that was priced at 500. I offered 200 and they accepted. Probably because they knew it was overpriced. That being said there is no downside to putting in an offer on those - at worst nothing happens and at best they accept. Good luck and I hope you find one or something comparable! If I see anything comparable I'll give you a shout.
Sure, thanks! I can't make offers juuuuust yet, but if everything goes well with negotiations, I will finally have some extra dosh to throw towards these sorts of things.

also, the screen arbitrarily popped itself back into place, without my assistance. good keyboard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LuckyCat posted:

I put out a lowball on an item that was priced at 500. I offered 200 and they accepted. Probably because they knew it was overpriced. That being said there is no downside to putting in an offer on those - at worst nothing happens and at best they accept. Good luck and I hope you find one or something comparable! If I see anything comparable I'll give you a shout.

maaaaaan, I finally got the cash to make some offers and every single one of those fuckers are trying to get the max price for their poo poo, auto-rejection on most offers or counteroffers of like 15% off. guess they'll have them for the rest of time at this rate.

edit: one replied that he sold a new one a couple years ago for $750 soooooo gently caress getting a fresh replacement I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey again keyboard folks. I found a brand new, in box, sealed, never opened, MISB L@@K MX Revolution Keyboard/Mouse combo for sub-400 bucks and decided to go with it since my previous one lasted over twelve years of constant use and still works fine, but is clearly starting to go a bit.

anyways, one thing I didn't account for is that it comes with batteries. fourteen year old batteries. yeah, the inside of the packaging is caked in that crystallized battery acid that old batteries get. and the bit at the bottom of the keyboard, the rubbery plastic bit that you're supposed to rest your wrists on or something, is so sticky from undoubtedly some kind of chemical degradation over the years that it leaves perfect fingerprint imprints when I touch it. five wipedowns of Goo Gone still hasn't gotten rid of it entirely. but other than that, happy to have my old new keyboard!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 26, 2020