Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
It's time to get a real keyboard.

What's the goto Cherry Brown, non-gamer ten keyless? Everything has crazy LED lights and stuff I'm never going to use! I just want to type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

I was looking at the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL as mentioned by Spiggy and the Cooler Master Masterkeys S TKL.

I went with the Cooler Master as it was a bit cheaper here in the UK, but I don't think you would go wrong with either from the research I did online.

I went for the Cooler Master for your same reasons. Thank you all for the advice. All three suggestions looked fine for what I need.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I went for the Cooler Master for your same reasons. Thank you all for the advice. All three suggestions looked fine for what I need.

Woah, are cherry browns lighter than I expected. It takes almost no effort to press the keys and there's very little tactile resistance. Not disappointed but also not at all what I was expecting.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Has anyone shipped keyboards through the mail before? I'm trying to figure out a rough estimate of sending a keyboard with USPS. Using their normal package dimension shipping calculator it's between $15-$20 to ship across country. Does that sound right?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Would there be any market for a keyboard rental business? Keyboards seem so hard to test aside from being able to use on for a few days, so if a service existed that let you try a keyboard out for a couple of weeks for a fixed fee then swap it out for another, like the original physical DVD Netflix model, would anyone use it?

It seems like the alternative now is to buy the keyboard, then return it if you don't like it.

It sounds like the risks to this model would be the expensive costs of shipping the keyboards all over the place and that they could get destroyed in transit, as well as not having control over how they're treated by the renter.

What other holes can be poked in this idea?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Rexxed posted:

A lot of people won't want grimy keyboards used by other people. Being able to use a switch for a while before buying it is a good idea, I just don't know if mailing the same keyboard to a number of people will get anyone to want to buy one.

The service would be more for letting people get a feel for a certain switch or keyboard, but when they choose to buy one they would buy it on their own and not from the rental place, unless they really wanted to buy a used one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Would anyone use a keyboard sharing service to rent out their keyboards to people looking to try before they buy?

The biggest hurdle I can find is shipping keyboards. They are fragile and not suited for cheap shipping.

I'm wondering about a sharing service where people could locally post their keyboards for rent so people could try a keyboard for a week or two without taking the plunge and possibly not like what they get and have to ship keyboards back and forth.