Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm having a little trouble with a keyboard and am looking for some advice. I'm posting this here because I don't necessarily trust what I'm hearing from the company.

I ordered a wireless bluetooth keyboard direct from a manufacturer, and out of the box it would only work when connected to USB, as if the battery wouldn't hold a charge. As long as the keyboard is drawing power from USB (whatever the source), it works over bluetooth, but unplug the USB, and it powers off immediately.

The manufacturer sent me a replacement battery to swap myself. Upon opening the case, I saw this.

I did go ahead and replace the battery, and the problem has not resolved. Interestingly, the keys in those pictures, as well as their LEDs, work properly. They also are nowhere near any of the components that would be involved in charging the keyboard.

I sent these pictures to the manufacturer, and their response is that they don't use water near the keyboards during the manufacturing, and it never would have passed QC like that, so this is 100% not caused by them. But I know that I have not spilled anything on the keyboard myself.

So, I have two questions:

1) Could anything else have caused that damage?

2) Is that potentially related to the problem I'm having with the keyboard?

I'm kind of in a bind here because my :angel: Specific Keyboard Needs :angel: are only met by this keyboard.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Nondescript Van posted:

do you have a multimeter?

I don't, but this is just the excuse I've been looking for to buy one.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Just to follow up:

I bought from the manufacturer to get a specific configuration I wanted. The only other way was to wait for a sporadic Massdrop and hope they offered the right options, but I've heard dealing with MD can be iffy anyway, and I figured it was worth the gamble. (Welp,)

Anyway, I think I found out the problem. One of the pins connecting the battery to the PCB wasn't soldered in correctly.

Hopefully I can just RMA it now. They've been responsive and helpful otherwise, so fingers crossed. If not there's always my credit card company. I could probably try to fix it on my own but that looks like a tougher soldering fix than I've taken on before, so that's the total last resort.

It looks like maybe the crud I posted isn't related?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards, but I found the SA Dasher set and it looks really good. Do these things usually only get sold on massdrop? Is there a secondary market I can pick up a set on?

drat those look nice.

There's a good chance they'll show up on massdrop again but who knows when.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I don't need to find out if there's anything more "greenish" than the greens. I want to remain happy and satisfied in my ignorance.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

mewse posted:

Nothinh wronh with that keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

unpronounceable posted:

Keyboards are great.

Code with browns, and the Midnight Galaxy keycaps from Pheilcia.

My keyboard does the same thing under a blacklight