Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hey OP, thanks for the new thread. I really liked the CODE several years ago and ended up getting two of them. Love the Cherry Clears and backlighting. And promptly forgot about the keyboard thread and Massdrop and the fantasy of making an Ergodox.

And now a new thread and a new OP and I see I can get a keyboard with Cherry Clears or Cherry Milky(!) and color changing LED surround lights and key lighting that is responsive or does cool poo poo all the time. drat, it's a good time to like keyboards. Too bad my CODES will last longer than I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Thank you, I put a lot of work into this but there's still so much I can do.

There's always custom keycaps to feed your habit!

The reactive or ripple effects when hitting a key is really really tempting. If it did that and felt like my Cherry Clears or ~*GASP*~ Heavier (clutch my pearls, I am veklempt over here) yeah okay I need new underpants now.

The CODE isn't perfect by any stretch and their shine through caps kind of suck, but it is such a joy to type on.

Custom shine through caps that were evenly lit and clear to read would be tempting.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

betterinsodapop posted:

Yup, typing on a TKL Code w/Clears with backlit PBT caps from Vortex and it is fantastic.

chippy posted:

Same, they look and feel so much better than the stock caps.

teethgrinder posted:

The Vortex caps are perfect for CODE. I found that more colourful backlighting-compatible caps on it looked weird with the luminous paint behind the caps.

I knew I should have stayed out of this new thread. Instead I am about to buy two sets of these keycaps.

And I will love them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

This hobby is a gaping maw made of artisan keycaps.

No, no, after this I'm done. I placed the order. That's it.

Back to lego sets and other goon hobbies.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Do they have artisanal hand carved keycaps made of like jade or some poo poo carved by child workers in impoverished nations?
Or is it all 3D printed maker stuff?

Forget PBT, I want carved mouse skulls.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Neanderthal of keyboards

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So, I got those vortex doubleshot PBT keycaps for my CODE keyboard.

I think several of you said you had this setup.

The CODE space bar has a metal stabilizer bard (costar stabilizer?). The Vortex keys have extra cherry stem receptacles but no place for the stabilizer to hook into. Can I just not use the space bar keycap, or am I missing something?

Otherwise I think I am about to start pulling and replacing keys!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Look carefully at the CODE spacebar keycap. The things that the bar grab onto should be little removable nylon pieces that you can transplant into your other spacebar.

Yes, I finally figured out how to get the little inserts out and get everything back together. The first keyboard I took all the stabilizers out and apart, and had to consult Dr. Youtoob to learn that those dumb little nylon things have a specific orientation.

For my second keyboard I was able to get the nylon things out and leave all that stuff on the keyboard making it go much faster.

I think I managed to not break anything, but I didn't re lube anything either, so now I wonder if I need to get lube and whatever thing is needed to apply said lube.

But really, with these keycaps I'm done. Well, maybe some lube.

And then maybe learn to solder so I can make and ergodox. Or two.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dogen posted:

Thanks thread I bought myself the expanded vortex backlit doubelshot pbt set for my K70. I don’t even know that it will be much different but I can’t help myself!

They feel really nice when new.

Will get get slick and shiny like ABS keys?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

Have you heard about our lord and savior Topre?

I like my Code with Clears. Have never typed on a Torpedo.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think several of us have Code keyboards and like them.

I love mine with Clears. I wonder if Clears are just a gateway drug to cherry whites?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

I guess the CODE has a slightly different backplate, and a luminous layer behind the keys to go with the lighting.

The CODE defaults with lovely thin ABS caps, WASD has options or even no caps.

Those Vortex double shot PBT keys are nice with the CODE. this thread convinced me to go that route and I do like them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

wolrah posted:

There's a part of me that wishes the custom keycap world would make more backlight-compatible cap sets, but then my wallet is happy that hasn't happened.

Same. Novelty shine through PBT caps positioned for the way CODE has the lights positioned would destroy my finances. Bring it on.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I need to get a keypuller for when my Godspeed arrives in q1 2018 lol

Any recommendations on good ones?

A paper clip. Or a binder clip. If you don't have a puller. Even the caps I got recently came with one.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Look at this guy who acts like a Das keyboard needs replacing after 5 years because he's not ready to come to grips with the fact that he just can't resist buying a new keyboard

it's okay man, you're surrounded by friends here, we understand :buddy:

I was that guy once. I now have two CODEs with clears and those Vortex caps. And I keep telling myself I don't need to learn to solder so I can make some ergodoxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dishwasher in a mesh bag.