Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

surebet posted:

if they weren't steeped in this weird uber nerd ~investment~ culture, i'd probably grab a couple, but i think i'd rather opt out than encourage any of this poo poo

Yeah some of them are pretty cool and I might have bought 1 or 2 if they are 5 bucks a pop.

But 40+ a key is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

underage at the vape shop posted:

Is it possible to get a nice, cheap white key set for my masterkey L? Going by the last couple pages, looks like no?

The vortex pbt keys are great and relatively cheap I think. Not sure if they come in blanks or with legends though.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Deadly Hume posted:

Finally got my Godspeed sets.

Kind of went crazy getting both the white and blue main sets so I could do this colour way. Going back to a full profile after the Danger Zone (which was all R3s I think) so it'll take me a few days to adjust but it looks pretty schmick.

I guess the Canvas set has been delayed again back to October, although the latest samples look pretty good so it'll probably turn out well. I think I'll have to get a second keyboard for that when that eventually comes out, I don't know the hell why. Stupid hobby.

That looks absolutely amazing.

What's the Canvas set?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

foutre posted:

Is that a set you've got to wait for a group buy or Massdrop for?

Yup :(

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Deadly Hume posted:

I did :(

https://mitormk.com/canvas-xda/

It had me at lower-case legends (an idea which I considered doing myself though WASD's slightly bodgy printing service) on dye-subbed PBT.
Again, production delays kept pushing out this one, although it's a completely new setup so most of that time has been about getting the samples right. Anyway it's looking like it's supposed to now and production has been greenlit. Should release in October :gonk:.

https://mitormk.com/2017/07/08/mitos-updates-5/

Because of the delay MD have requested people opt back in (much like what happened with Godspeed), which is a no-brainer despite how long it's taken.

That is indeed another beautiful set. I really need to keep track of new sets better.

Still regretting not signing up for dancer/prancer.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

pr0zac posted:

Got my Godspeed caps and slapped them on my Infinity 60% board. Was kind of surprised cause I got told my order was canceled cause I missed the "confirm you're still interested" email but some how here we are.

Kind of regret not springing for the modifiers set as well cause it means I don't have a capslock sized Ctrl key so I can't make a "not all novelties" layout but hey what are ya gonna do.

Keys feel really nice though, super thick, have a good heavy clunk feel.

That looks absolutely amazing.

I really need to resist my urge to jump at the Nautilus set as it reached the 99 dollar mark. I love the colours but really want a set with centered legends (i.e. SP instead of GMK).

I'm holding out for the Godspeed XDA PBT set from Mitro who is running an interest check right now. That or Calms Depth if that ever gets going again. The IC on that is not moving fast all.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Assdrop is doing a Godspeed XDA set in PBT on the 1st of August.

If the price is even remotely ok I'm going to order one.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-xda-godspeed-custom-keycap-set

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Megalixir posted:

Because the cheapest international shipping cost is $43? Because not everyone lives in America?

My experience with mykeyboards.eu has been pretty good. If you live in the EU you could try them. If they don't have a board in stock, mail them. Sometimes they get extra stuff that's not (yet) on their site.

Delivery was quick too.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The XDA Godspeed Set is up on massdrop for less than 12 hours and already has over 1500 purchases.

Alphas are 45, mods 25. Gonna order these for sure. Only thing I'm not sure of is if I should grab an ErgoDox set as well since I'm pretty sure I'll build one sooner or later. Maybe I should just put godspeed on my pok3r and pick up another set for the ErgoDox after I actually have one.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

sarr posted:

Yeah, I hopped on the Godspeed-train too, they are so good looking I couldn't resist. Now the long wait begins..

I thought only SA had a long waiting line, just checked for godspeed and saw Feb 27th 2018. :drat:

Which sets did you buy? I'm leaning towards Solar Alphas but the Supernova ones look pretty sweet too.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Greatest Living Man posted:

What's this thread's opinion been on the Razer Ornata? I just tried out a bunch of keyboards and ended up really liking the stiffness/actuation on them, though I didn't expect to go with Razer.

Razer has a 'bad rep' because they target a gamer audience and price their products accordingly.

Technically there's nothing wrong with the Razer keyboards I worked with (never owned one myself, but my wife does).

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Mykeyboards.eu has nordic pok3r caps too. Might be cheaper in shipping.

https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/vortex-pok3r-iso-nordic-keycaps_28/

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm wondering if anyone else has used this website? I'd love to add a european alternative to mechanicalkeyboards.com.

I'm sure I already mentioned I got my Pok3r from them. Two day delivery (international). Downside is that you can only pay with paypal.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Horizontal Tree posted:

I have a horrible craving for an ErgoDox but I do not want to wait for MassDrop and then have to pay $200 and wait months :smith:

You and me both man.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My black widow from 2008 survived me spilling milk all over it and only recently have the switch springs started to not bounce back causing letters to get doubled

Their mice, though, were really bad

Boomslang 4 lyfe man!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I'm trying to keep this Godspeed purchase reasonable (only alphas and cadet base) but i really a yellow return and red escape key...

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

teethgrinder posted:

I still haven't pulled the trigger on it. I still have those Miami Dolch DSAs coming ... but those are ABS and these are PBT...

I love my pok3r PBTs and dont care much for the shine on ABS keys so I really want to get a set that usually only comes in ABS.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

That Race3 looks pretty sweet. I settled on a pok3r for work though as it needs to be as portable as possible. For home use I'm waiting for an ergodox.

Did pull the trigger on Godspeed and ordered GodX with it because, why not.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What's the deal with a stepped caps lock key btw? I never understood the pro's con's of one.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Weedle posted:

It's harder to hit by accident when you're going for "A."

Never had that happen so never would've guessed. I think I saw a stepped shift key too.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

That's impressive work Nondescript Van. Did you already know how to solder?

I really want to build my own ergodox some day but am afraid I'll mess it up.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

As someone who got a Pok3r for work I can only recommend it.

I've always hated my laptop keys or cheap standard Dell keyboards and I'm now happily clacking away each day.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I need to get a keypuller for when my Godspeed arrives in q1 2018 lol

Any recommendations on good ones?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

pr0zac posted:

I'm pretty sure every massdrop keyset I've gotten has come with a good metal wire one. At least thats the only way I can explain why I own at least three of them.

I saw the gmk sets usually come with one, but I think the descriptions mentioned that fact as well.

Because this drop doesn't mention it Infigured there wouldnt be one included.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

surebet posted:

you might want to check with forums user LochNessMonster, he wanted one in the last thread:

no idea if that's still actionable, otherwise i'm sure someone here, in sa mart or on r/mechmarket would be glad to take it off of your hands and save you that 10% ebay fee.

I might be interested, send me a pm if you want to sell.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Johnny Law posted:

Massdrop may be going through some awkwardness but I seem to have dodged any issues with the Ergodox drop:

Need to figure out a good layout for coding now; default is a bit awkward.

You need to NSFW that poo poo man!

I need an ergodox in my life

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I wouldn't spend 90 bucks on a maxkey set with terrible novelty keys. If I spend more than 50 bucks on a keycap set it's going to be GMK or SP.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Pumprag posted:

I'm looking for a tenkeyless or 60% Keyboard that is available in ISO formats.
I like the recommendations in the op, however, I could only find the Vortex Race 3 in the ISO layout.

What kind of alternatives are there?

There are Pok3r iso’s too.

I don’t get the appeal of ISO layouts.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Motherf....

I had no idea the resale of old sets was limited quantity only. I wanted to grab a Dasher/Dancer set for muh keeb.

Goddammit!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

teethgrinder posted:

So I just noticed they hosed up my key set on the k-type :bang:

Contacting support obviously.

:hitler:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Is there anything I should be aware of when ordering dampeners that will prevent me from annoying people when bottoming out?

Just look at the most sold 2 bucks per 110 from Ali Express?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Collateral Damage posted:

Maybe try thrusting more gently? :v:

Real answer, other than making sure it's the right size not really. There aren't many ways to gently caress up a rubber ring.

I tried hitting my keys more gently but it’s not really sticking. I learned typing on an old typewriter and have been typing with this amount of force for over 2 decades so I’m not sure if I can really “unlearn” it.

I’ll grab a bag of rings and maybe remove them after a while to see if I’m getting used to a smaller travel distance.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CyberPingu posted:

Could also look at a reverb/dampening matt to go under the keyboard.

What kind of material do people us for that, neoprene or something?

Collateral Damage posted:

Sorry, I was making a bad innuendo joke. :shobon:

I can’t believe I didn’t notice that... :doh:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CyberPingu posted:

Uhh usually just those large mousemats. TCG playmats also work fairly well too.

For building it into your keyboard or just to put your keyboard on (I just found out the former is apparently a thing).

The noise mostly comes from the switch/keycap hitting the bottom of the case. I’m not dure if a mat would diminish the sound of that.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

If you have Cherry profile or OEM profile keycaps, then yeah any cheap-ol' 1.5mm thickness O-rings should do well for you. However, if you have a custom keycap set made by Signature Plastics in SA or DSA profile (like I do), you'll find out too late after buying a set of O-rings that a single 1.5mm ring under each keycap does bupkes for stopping bottoming-out.

I followed this advice for my SA keys and bought some thicker O-rings from LPWL. His help page also recommends using just one Thick O-ring or XXL O-ring per DSA key.

In fact, I just got the O-rings in the mail today but haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know how it goes after following the above redditor advice.

I currently have the stock pok3r keycaps installed since I’m waiting on the Godspeed XDA drop. I guess that similar enough to DSA so I’m eager to hear how does thicker o rings work for you!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

G-Prime posted:

Stock Pok3r caps work perfectly with regular o-rings.

Yeah but I’m moving away from them as soon as my Godspeed arrives (which I believe is February).

Otoh, what’s 2-3 bucks.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Terminally Bored posted:

https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/vortex-g104-ansi-mx-clear_21/

101EUR+shipping from Belgium. No taxes or customs. Vortex is a Costar OEM, made in Taiwan, in the same factory as WASD afaik.

I ordered my Pok3r there, everything went quick and smooth. Would buy there again.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MD is dropping a keyboard designed by some keycap designers (one of them is t0mb3ry) together with GMK.

It’s a $300 70% board with a non standard bottom row with a weird size spacebar.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-uniqey-c70-mechanical-keyboard

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Constellation I posted:

Maxkey has fixed the kerning issues for the most part now. The only differences between them and Signature Plastics now are some minor font issues (ESC, 1 key) and that SP is more cylindrical up top and shinier.

Unfortunately the Maxkey prices are moving towards SP prices as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I'm finally getting a new keyboard (This one is at least 10-years old Logitech Y-ST39 "Internet Keyboard"...PS/2, not USB) and want one of those, except in the M size and with Clears. However, that doesn't exist, and I can't seem to find any other offerings matching that. I need the tenkey, but don't want/need the arrow keys and the thingies above it. Anyone know where I can find a match for that? I can't find an easily searchable term for that keyboard layout.

You could get a 60% and a seperate keypad if that works for you. I don’t think I’ve seen keyboards with the numpad but without the arrows.