Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Has anyone used the GMMK-TKL? I’m taking a look at it and it looks pretty good, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has had exp with it. Does it play well with an MBP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What type of switch does the MK Disco TKL Black PBT actually use? On the Amazon page linked there, it says "KBT (Greetech)", but I thought those were two different brands. Does that make it a fake, and should I just order directly from MK?

This keyboard was listed as a quick pick in the OP, is it still considered a good first mechanical keyboard? I need to get a keyboard of my own, and I'm thinking of choosing this one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mewse posted:

KBTalking switches are custom Greetech switches apparently. When I search "disco tkl" on amazon canada they are all KBT switches.

I see - Greetech is listed in the OP as being lesser quality than KBT, is KBT still a good option? How about that keyboard in particular, is it a good choice?

Doing some more research on my own, it looks like KBT switches are on par with Cherry switches. Okay, I think I'm happy getting that keyboard! I wonder if I should get some keycaps. Can I just buy any old keycap, like if I wanted to make my ESC key red, or do I have to buy keycaps specific to a keyboard?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 4, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I might need the name of this keycap set.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm having trouble deciding between browns and clears. Clears feel a bit better to me, but I feel like I would miss keys more often on them. Browns don't have quite as satisfying a tactile feel, but they're a lot closer to my normal typing force and I feel more confident on them. And it's not like they don't have a tactile feel at all, of course.

Reason I bring this up is because I want the MK Disco TLK for the price point, the alt-GUI swapping, and the overall quality, but it doesn't come in clear which I want the option to have. I could also get the GMMK TKL, but that one doesn't have the alt-GUI swapping dip switch which is super useful (I'll be using the keyboard with OSX/macOS often).

Might just bite the bullet and get the MK Disco in brown, then in the future get another keyboard in clear. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CyberPingu posted:

It doesnt come in clear because MX Clears dont support RGB Leds unfortunately. Which sucks as clears are my favourite switches.

Browns are pretty good, but too light for my tastes as i like to hammer my keys. They almost feel like blues without the click halfway down.

It really boils down to if your preference is RGB or switch preference.

RGB helps for identifying keys in the dark since I'm not a touch typist (and I'm also a sucker for blinkenlights), so I'd like to at least try it out. I'm not married to it, though.

What the hell would make clears incompatible with RGB? :psyduck: I can't think of any reason why they'd be special in that regard. Isn't the difference between brown and clear just a matter of force required? I can't imagine any structural changes necessary for that being a problem with RGB.

I think I'll get the MK Disco in brown, just to start off. Man, that dip switch is super tempting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CyberPingu posted:

If you are using RGB as a way of identifying keys in the dark id recommend getting some proper lighting for your desk otherwise you are going to screw up your eyes. (I have RGB at home and i love sparkling things too)

True. I guess I would consider RGB as more of a looks thing than anything that's actually helpful. I should get a good lamp...

I think I'll keep doing some more research. RGB I can take or leave, but I really like the MK Disco's button-swapping dip switch - maybe I can find a TKL with clears that has one of those.

EDIT: Given that clears don't work well with LEDs, does that mean RGB keyboards with clears like this one aren't a good idea? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=997 Guess that's something I wouldn't have caught onto without knowing about the clears thing.

Also, is it just me, or are clear switches a lot rarer than other colors?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 8, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eh, gently caress it - I'll go with the MK Disco. Browns are probably fine, anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got my MK Disco TKL in Brown, and I’m pretty sure it was the right choice. :buddy: Hells of noise, but I live alone, so whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone got any idea where to find the red ESC key from this collection, or something like it? https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-mechanical-keyboard-keycaps Cause I really like how it looks, but I can’t find it sold individually.

A red ESC key in general would be pretty boss, actually.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What would cause this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72wac6j_gpg

One side of my space bar won't come back up for some reason. If I flip the bar, the other side starts acting the same way.

This is an MK Disco.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any suggestions for a wrist pad? I need one, but I have no idea how to tell if one is good. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wrist+pad&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Steakandchips posted:

Might be the wire bar ends need greasing (no, really, this is an actual thing).

How would that explain the stuck side switching when I flip the space bar?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zarin posted:

Does the stabilizer bar clip to the bottom of the key at all? (I don't know anything about wire stabilizers - all my keyboards seem to have cherry-style stabilizers)

I think so, yeah. It all looks like cherry stuff, maybe?

I'm trying to figure out what would cause one side to pop up and the other to stay down, and I can't figure it out. The only difference between the two sides that I can think of would be the extra slot-thingy on the one side of the underside of the space bar.

Maybe I could try a different space bar? Maybe get a red one or something? Would that help figure it out?

quote:

A Goon recommended this brand to me when I got into mechanical keyboards, and I really like them:
https://grifiti.com/collections/fat-wrist-pads

These look really good, thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made a spill on my keyboard and I am so loving pissed at myself :suicide:

Unplugged the keyboard, removed the keys, fanned out what I can, leaving it upside down, and hoping for the best. I think a little bit of the stain is in the clear plastic of the cherry switches FUUUUUUUCK how do I fix that :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some Goon posted:

Let it dry out for a good while, test the switches, replace any that are borked? Not sure what you need to do about potential PCB issues, what did you spill?

CyberPingu posted:

What type/model of keyboard?

I've spilled a variety of liquids on keyboards so you might be ok.

I overreacted, it wasn’t that bad. Keyboard works fine, just has a little bit of staining of the plastic around the switch. Can’t see it with the caps on. Still pissed at myself, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sigh. Trying to glue it back together with Gorilla Glue, but I have no idea if that will work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

teethgrinder posted:

Your avatar makes me believe the cat is to blame

Nope! Alllll me.

Apparently you’re not supposed to have the feet up anyway for ergonomic reasons so eh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need to get a new keyboard for work, and I want a decent-to-nice one because the crappy Logitech they provided for me is utter garbage and makes me want to die when I use it (also no dip switches for macos input). I got the tenkeyless MK Disco in late 2017, and I'm considering just bringing that in to work and upgrading at home. It's Cherry browns, though, and work is an open plan office. Do people find Cherry browns disruptive in open offices?

Then there's the matter of upgrading at home. I'm kinda torn between getting a 100% or sticking with 80% and buying a separate numpad/macro pad for Final Fantasy purposes. Any recs for both kinds, as well as numpads/macro pads? Nothing all that much fancier than the MK Disco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Sound tolerance will always hinge on your neighbors and environment. My manager's MX Browns and my MX Clears were tolerable in our pod, but the entire floor was VERY open plan - rows of desks, if you wanted quiet you were expected to get a conference room - so there was no expectation of silence, and everyone had headphones. I'd say give it a shot but I'd be ready reverse course if anyone complained. Being able to use a mechanical keyboard at work isn't a hill I'm willing to die on professionally, though I don't have RSI or a condition that could change the calculus

Zarin posted:

Said it better than I could have.

To add some content, when I was in an open-plan office it seemed like you could hear everyone type on the garbage-tier Dell keyboards we were supplied with. The people that had "upgraded" to the "ergonomic" keyboards were even louder than that, given that the hump in the "ergo" keyboard they were assigned seemed to just create an even bigger hollow space for the sound to resonate in. In this environment I chose to bring in a GMMK with Box Navies, and nobody cared. One of my friends a couple rows away said that they could tell when I was typing vs. other people because it sounded different, but that was about it.

I did worry about the noise for the first couple weeks but then I stopped thinking about it altogether. I had that keyboard in that open area for about a year or so before COVID sent us all home and I never made it back there. So, YMMV but it depends on what the environment is like now, what the expectations are, and all that. But since you already own the board, might as well take it in and see if anyone says anything or even seems to notice.

Edit: I got a quieter keyboard for my new office area, a Keychron in browns, since my BOX Navy board became my WFH board. Seems about the same noise if not less than the garbage-tier Dell keyboards we get by default. Joke's on me, though, nobody is ever in the shared office with me so I could have brought anything I wanted and nobody would be around to care.

Thanks! Think I’ll bring in my MK Disco and see how it goes, then if it doesn’t work I’ll try out that Keychron (which hopefully comes with a C-to-A wired adapter, no Bluetooth allowed at work). If it does, then I might just get a K10 for myself…