Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Holy poo poo these Gateron brown optical switches on this gk-61 are the most buttery switches I've ever used, so smooth! Coming from mx browns on Filco Majestouch and romer-g tactile.

Also not having the metal bar stabilizers on the big keys is a huge improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Are there any recommended RGB keyboards under $50? I'm building a PC for my kids and their only requirements are that it has cool rainbow lights. I think mechanical would be nice but I don't see anything worthwhile at that price point.

Two I found at Microcenter are the SteelSeries Apex 150 and the Corsair K55 membrane.

If you're cool with a 61 key, I recently bought a GK61 for $50, and I've been enjoying it, you can pick from a few different switch types, and they're hot-swappable switches so if they break getting replacements are reasonable.

The company is chinese and the software has a bit of a learning curve including having to track it down, link

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Jesus that layout is amazing

Returned something after paying it off now I have a negative balance to blow on something, thinking about buying this self defense tool. 400 sure is a lot for a keyboard, especially one without fkeys but drat if it aint super sexy.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

bub posted:

I highly recommend picking one up, they are awesome.
Here is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_XSbMKLLrU

oh hey I've already seen your video :whatup:

is that industrial gray and the default US ANSI keys?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

bub posted:

That is indeed industrial gray, the layout I chose has a HHKB-style split right shift with normal size backspace. I feel a little guilty because my keyboard shipped only a few days after placing the order because I selected unprinted keys and a less popular layout. Some folks who ordered printed keys have been waiting a long time (years even) since the dye-sub printing operation is still being finalized.

My favorite feature is definitely the cast zinc case. The heftiness of these boards is remarkable.

oof, I'd definitely be going for default ANSI us layout, 400 bux and a huge wait might be too much for my impatient heart to take.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

.Z. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_ucdyi1ms

Actually not sure the video is all that useful, but you can enjoy Chyrosran22's voice.

He's why I want all these expensive keyboards.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

It's a very good drat. I've been wanting an old style large and heavy clacky keyboard for a while, and this thing is exactly what I needed. It's loud, the keyfeel and feedback is near perfect (though people used to a more shallow actuation that requires less pressure might be thrown off a bit), and the build quality is much better than some older reviews led me to believe. Their quality control has supposedly gotten better on their standard classic in the past couple of years. Mine has a sticker date of last week, so I believe it.

Are the keys still the classic ibm style 2 piece keys? I've heard the newer unicomps only do it for the modifier keys or just use single piece keys all around depending on when it was made, given that yours was made last week. also since the white and black ones seem to come with different keys which color did you go for?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

I went for the Classic 104 White, USB.

All of the grey keys are two piece, all of the white keys are one piece.

drat that looks good. So strange that's the only classic I've seen with, what I understood to be, the old style key lock badge but also seems to have the blue leds from the "new" model M.

also I emailed their support after I replied to your post and they said they switched to single piece keys a year ago so you apparently got lucky.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Got my "new" model M from unicomp today, first impressions? holy rear end gently caress the keys are heavy to type on, here I was worried about the sound of the thing, didn't consider the key-weight coming from gateron optical browns.

Edit: when I say "New" I mean like how nintendo uses it. I'm a bit disappointed they decided to change their keys, I don't know if it's because they switched to 1 piece keys over 2 piece or if it's just the gray set that comes with The New Model M but they sound and feel pretty thin and clacky, and the color and finish is pretty ugly. Though to be fair this is my first unicomp so it could just be how they are, still might try to snag some actual IBM 2 piece keys or at least old unicomp ones in tan/offwhite.

oh yeah also the nubs on f and j are super shallow, barely noticeable. good thing I'm a master typist.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 9, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Stroop There It Is posted:

So, uh, how do y'all keep your keycaps that aren't currently on a keyboard organized?

Different zip locks based on row if they're blank

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So I had some amazon giftcards laying around and wanted to change the blank keys of my filco majestouch 2 so I picked up this set, seeming by mistake because for some reason poo poo like shift or backspace have this thing where if you don't push them down perfectly in the center they just feel like they're jamming or "binding" I think I'm using the term correctly. Other times they push down fine but if you push them down harder they click a second time, so I often get this nasty double click feeling specifically the backspace key and the left shift key, the space bar has zero issues.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So do thick keys not like the metal bar style stabilizers? my stabilized keys keep jamming after buying some thick chinese keys that also seem to be slightly low profile.

Sorry :nms:

It appears that butchering a layer of plastic off the bottom lip of the key was the solution, guess I won't be putting any super fancy keycaps on this board.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 11, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Romer g have amazing backlights, but they feel like lovely browns

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Is it too much to ask for a simple looking hotswappable rgb fullsize Filco Majestouch 2 style deck possibly with cherry stabilizers and a removable cable without the floating switch design or a possible switch mutilation prerequisite (GMMK)?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did find a 120 in interest check but it's no hotswap

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106501.0

drat that's actually a sweet layout, I actually dig that sorta squished fullsize thing, I would consider that, the extent of my soldering skills was me at 13 resoldering the laser wires back onto a few different playstations.

edit: same answer to your other question, though I'd really rather not botch my filco, though I suppose I can learn on my tenkeyless filco which I'm not that into

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 17, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Dramicus posted:

You could also get an fc980m, which is almost the same thing, except pre-built

I have and they're nice, I did point that aspect out it's true but the main thing about that board for me was the extra row of f-keys at the top like a 122 key model m but without the awful + shaped arrow key cluster and the ESC key is in it's proper place.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So I decided while I was bored that I was gonna bust out one of my old rubber dome membrane keyboards and use it for a while for a laugh, and I gotta say, it's not as bad as I expected. it is a Saitek eclipse 2, it's actually pretty drat tactile (though the bump is super rounded) and quiet and the "switches" activate right at the tactile bump, I've used actual mechanical switches that couldn't that last one right. Though it's also super cheap feeling and a bit mushy go figure.

I also dug out a logitech g15 v1 and it feels like actual poo poo.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

wolrah posted:

My housemate has been using the same G15 since 2005. It occasionally has minor failures but he has two nearly complete parts keyboards (formerly mine and an ex-housemate's) so he can just keep it going.

If society still exists in 2030 there's a good chance he'll still be using this keyboard.

I remember thinking it was the poo poo and I remember getting a g15 v2 and thinking it was garbage and had terrible key feel and gave it to my friend, those were more innocent times. I wonder if it's bigger than a model m, the v1 that is.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I remember having a pretty cool winamp app that had bouncing vu bars poo poo was all I needed, I also just found that half keyboard with the same screen the g13, it feels better than the g15v1, still pretty bad though.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

edit: gently caress me wrong thread sorry

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 10, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Can you change key functions in QMK+? specifically the GMMK Pro's right-side keys, I want the top most key to be Print Screen. also would prefer pgup and pgdn be in the bottom 2 positions and have either home or end be delete.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Dr Cheesequake posted:

I’m in the flex batch and haven’t gotten an email yet.

me neither, I'm getting antsy

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I'm glad my GMMK Pro preorder hasn't come in yet, I was able to blast through the "I gotta have this now impulse buy immediately" stage to the "do i really even need this?" to the "why the gently caress did I even buy this I hate mini keyboards?" to straight up buyers remorse all without spending any money, well without spending any money I can't get back anyway. now I'm just waiting for them to tell me it's available so I can just not pay the extra 70 bux and just get my 100 bux back.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Anyone have any luck cancelling their preorder for the GMMKpro before actually getting their ticket? I know they said they couldn't do anything about it after 10 days but that seems silly.

edit: I'm cursed with starting new pages.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Honey Im Homme posted:

Cancelled mine without an issue, just submit a ticket through the website, if you haven't made an account yet make sure you use the same email address you used to pre-order.

Got kind of hosed on the recent CAD/USD exchange rate though.

thanks, I just emailed them. totally forgot I even posted in this thread about that keyboard I keep totally forgetting about, was thinking, "what ever happened with that keyboard?"

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

hbag posted:

rip

how many keys am i gonna be missing once i remap this from US ANSI to UK ANSI

haha Glorious mermaid

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I just got that email even though I cancelled my gmmk pro reservation a few days ago and got my $100 back. it's okay I don't really want it anymore, stings a little bit though.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Funny how a few days after cancelling my gmmk pro reserve, and then getting an email saying my number had come up, I get an email saying you can buy them on the 6th without a reserve. it also says its $169 but shows a fully built keyboard, doesn't mention anything about barebones kit in the email, I'm sure it's still a barebones kit though.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 30, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Is there a wireless 63-tkl sized rgb kb with 2.4ghz connection that's actually reliable that isn't one of the gamer brands? I got a blackwidow 3 mini which seems okay but just kind of a bit ugly, and the lip kinda interferes with my wrist rest. I really liked my lovely royal kludge rk84 but the wireless was probably the worst I've ever experienced aside from a set of radioshack wireless headphones I had in 01, I've checked reviews for a bunch of em on amazon but everything that's not gamer brand had the same complaints about unreliable wireless.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 12, 2023

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

change my name posted:

I thought I hated clicky switches but it works for me on the 8bitdo board. It just feels appropriately retro

Maybe you hate MX style click jackets, I know I do, the 8bitdo box whites have click bars iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Love that mini midi kb or mini e-piano