Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hey guys,

Thanks all for your help in the old thread. After I got my switch tester today I decided I really like the soft feel of the MX Reds so I got a Ducky Shine 6 with Cherry MX Red caps. Excited for it to show up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So my Ducky Shine 6 just showed up and...it feels kind of weird? Is this normal having typed on non-mechanical keyboards your whole life? Is there usually some getting used to it?

The lights look cool at least.

edit: Okay I think I may have figured it out. I always have typed on a keyboard that's on a slight incline and the keyboard lies really flat. Anyone have any good methods for elevating a keyboard?

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 7, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

chippy posted:

I'd recommend you get used to typing on it flat - it's better for your wrists, however, if you do want to incline it, does it not have little legs you can extend?

It does not.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

chippy posted:

You could make some out of Sugru (https://sugru.com/)?

Seriously though, if typing with it flat means that your wrists are in a neutral position (i.e. straight line through your forearm, wrist, and hand, no bend at the wrist), then definitely consider getting used to that. Your future self will thank you for the lack of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Yeah i think it's probably better to just suck it up and adjust to a flat keyboard. I have a normal flat keyboard for my work computer, I've just been using my old keyboard for so long I've adjusted to it.

Otherwise, about how long does it take to adjust to using a mechanical keyboard? It started to feel a bit better as I used it yesterday evening but it still feels weird.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

chippy posted:

What switches do you have in it, and what keyboard are you coming from? In what way does it feel weird? I don't remember having to go through much of an adjustment, really.

Cherry Reds and a plain old Microsoft membrane keyboard. Part of me thinks that maybe I should've gotten blacks but I want to stick it out for a few weeks in case I need to adjust.

I honestly think its the flat/tilted thing but it just felt kind of weird to me at first.