Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

F. If he doesn't wake up, we know Anael cheated.

If these guys want to throw a tantrum while we're still refugees, gently caress'em.

Let them go their separate ways, I'm sure they'll regret that decision real quickly.

+1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Outrail posted:

How the is causing your opponent to fall asleep cheating?

Because it undermines our legitimacy in the eyes of the opponent's supporters.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

F

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Going to close voting since F is winning in a landslide, working on update, hope tonight but no promises.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

No, I mean let's say she did defeat the old fart by making him fall asleep. There was no rule about not using magical powers, gently caress them we win. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Moot point once we kill half of them and use their flesh to rebirth our meatman army.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

We'll never have legitimacy in the eyes of our opponents supporters long as we do anything other than reject what are obviously, to a faithful Urian, Demons

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

This took longer than expected but I desperately needed to brutalize some Nazi's. Poor timing on my part.

FaustianQ posted:

I lied, apparently it'd be 12 hours.

You yell as loud as you can into the brawl. “Stop! Cease fighting! What madness has taken hold of you!” You shout it at the top of your lungs, you put all the force you can behind your yelling, every ounce of breath. There seems to be some pause as a few of the brawlers look to you, but it seems you've only decreased the intensity of the fight, not stopped it. “It's a foul sorcerer who lulled Arandus to sleep!” someone shouts out, to which Anael replies nonchalantly as she tosses another attacker to the ground, “A load of horseshit is what it is Efraim, I did no such thing!”, and comes the retort “Lies! It lies!”. You demand they cease at once, that such accusations are serious and should be handled in a serious manner. “Bah!”, spits a voice you recognize as Ilanum's, “why should we take your word to hold any meaning when you make a mockery of the word of Labaras and El!”

Those involved in the fight don't seem willing to give up on it just because you yelled at them, maybe due to some worldview differences? Either way, it seems you'll need to escalate things on your side a bit if you want the fighting to stop.

While D won overwhelmingly, there was a tie between E and F overall. I'll keep those options, but add new ones.

1. The fight is still not resolved, you...
A. Dive in and help Zomaya and Anael, along with those fighting with them!
B. Dive in and help Ilanum and those fighting with him!
C. Dive in and just start punching people until the fighting stops.
D. Let Anael use lethal force to resolve this issue, but keep it to a minimum.
E. Let Anael use lethal force to resolve this issue, have her go hog wild.
F. Try to awaken Arandus, and get him to calm his followers down.
G.Walk over and separate Arandus's head from his neck! These fools will know who is in charge and if they won't bend the knee you'll do the same to them!
H.Continue to attempt to reason with those fighting.
I.Wash your hands of the whole situation and walk into the forest.
J. Write in!

You rush over to Arandus and shake the man, hoping to awaken him and stop this fight before it turns ugly. His eyes flutter open with a bit of surprise and shock, but when he spots you they turn warm and a smile spreads across his face. "Oh hello Efraim! Did I fall asleep? I must have, was a wonderful dream, I feel so refreshed, but what is this racket now?" Odd, since your liberation Arandus has never been this...genial towards you. Arandus stands and brushes himself off as you explain that once he fell asleep his followers attacked Anael, saying she had used witchery to lull him to slumber. "Nonsense!" Arandus says as he walks over to the fight. "Cease this at once! Anael has won fairly!" The fighting continues as Ilanum shouts back. "You are not yourself Arandus! From it's lips it sang a siren hymn and bewitched you!" Arandus's jovial face starts to turn red as his fists clench, his good mood souring. "Do you insult me Ilanum? Do you imply El's grace would falter in the face of that braying racket?" Anael does a double take in the midst of throwing another would be attacker to the ground. The fighting is growing less intense, Ilanum has fully turned to face Arandus. "Then....if El is with you, why did you fall asleep?". Arandus is visibly irritated now. "Because all men tire Ilanum, but even then El protects. I tell you now that it cast no foul sorcery, that it has won fairly." The fighting has essentially stopped as Ilanum reaches out and pleads, "But, they are dem-" Arandus waves and silences him. "That is for El to decide, and you are not to question his wisdom. Is this clear? Cease this madness, do not shed the blood of your fellows over this, all that is wrong El shall make right and all shall know his glory. No go, and be at peace." A few awkward moments pass before the fighters begin to disperse, leaving you, Arandus, Anael, Yakim, Zomaya and a few of his people left. Arandus turns to you, his good humor gone. "As for you Efraim, it is no longer a mere request, but a demand that your "Sebitti" bring offering to El. You may have your rights for women now, but I will not allow the people of El to come to harm because you wish to stall for your "things". You see the violence it causes, you have the power to stop it. Refuse, and the bloodshed will be on your hands." Arandus turns his back to you and leaves. You feel the urge to shout something, maybe you do? Maybe not? In either case Arandus continues on and ignores you.

You can shout something at Arandus before he is out of earshot. Write in your response, or say "Do nothing" to say nothing.

You thank Zomaya and Yakim in turn, before turning to the crowd and announcing loudly. "Anael has won her fight, and thus the right of everyone woman to do as a man would. So be it!". It's not met with cheers no applause, but murmurs as the crowd disperses. Yakim thanks you and merges with the vanishing crowd, but Zomaya seems deeply frustrated and questions you. "Where on earth were you? You just, disappeared! When Arandus fell asleep I could barely keep the peace!" You're not sure what to tell Zomaya. The truth? That you were off in the woods learning instead of leading? Or do you lie and fabricate something? The man trusts you, it seems he will accept whatever you say as truth? At least, almost anything?

1.What do you tell Zomaya?
A. Tell the truth.
B. Lie, say you were out keeping watch.
C. Write In!

Whatever your response, you are eventually left alone with Anael, who has resumed sitting and begun whittling. Intrigued and with nothing better to do for now, you ask if you can see what she is working on. Anael becomes uncharacteristically apprehensive, as she cups her hands together to hide her creation. "Promise you will not make jest? It's still a work in progress." You assure her that you won't make light of her work, and so she unclasps her hands and reveals what she's has been working on for the better part of two days. It's a...

"It's a hunting hound" Anael says. Hm, well, you personally have never seen a hound and only have had them described to you. A long snout, two ears and four legs, conspicuous lack of a tail but maybe not all hounds have tails? Well, you're no artist yourself so it seems good to you? You tell Anael as much and she beams. "I'm going to add little details like the fur later, and then start on another animal, but I'm not sure what yet. Do you have any ideas Efraim?"

2. Anael is asking for inspiration on her next carving project. What do you tell her? Please keep in mind you've spent most of your life in a dark mine, and don't have a wide breadth of knowledge to draw from.
D. Ask her to carve a donkey.
E. Ask her to carve a bird.
F. Ask her to carve something from the old tales, write in.
G. Tell her you have no idea what she should do.

Content with your answer, Anael enthusiastically returns to finishing her "hunting hound". Malakiel finally returns nearly an hour later, his "cloak" fashioned at his waist instead of over his shoulders. Anael snorts, "Where have you been?", to which Malakiel replies, "Keeping watch". Anael shrugs "Fine help you are, I was attacked for daring to sing". Malakiel grins "A better reason than thinking you're a 'demon' at least." Anael rolls her eyes, "Step in a burrow Malakiel". Malakiel directions his attention to you, "Efraim, I have need to speak with you, if Anael will allow." You nod in understanding and Anael waves you on, heavily focused on her carving. You move to a more secluded area with Malakiel. "You did well in our lessons today Efraim, and I would continue them but as today has shown you have a great responsibility to these people. Your people are obviously important to you, and you to them for they call you Shepard, a prestigious title if I must say so. But you have only so many hours in a day to tend to both your people and our lessons. Do not feel pressured to abandon your people, but you must make a decision at some point on what matters more to you. If you feel you need to be there for them, our work can wait. Give it thorough thought, and in the meantime let us continue for now".

3. Malakiel raises an excellent point, with only so many hours in a day, you can't fully dedicate yourself to both his lessons and tending to your people. How do you apportion your time?
H. 90% focus on your lessons. If you're going to keep your people alive you need to devote as much time to Malakiel's lessons. You're barely around at all and you grow distant with your people, and they may seek more attentive leadership.
I. 75% focus on your lessons. You're around some of the time but your primary focus is still on your lessons. Although less likely to seek out different leadership, you aren't exactly guiding policy and few people come to you with their problems.
J. 60% focus on your lessons. You're around most of the time, but you also put a lot of focus on your lessons. You guide policy and people seek you out to solve problems in your community, but not all the time and you're not the only authority.
K. 30% focus on your lessons. You're around nearly all the time, the lessons are much less important then guiding your people with your wisdom. With people like Arandus around, your flock needs a steady hand lest they be lead astray.
L. 100% Focus on your lessons. Abdicate entirely and appoint a new leader - Arandus, Philetus, Zomaya, Kenaniah, or maybe someone else? The people will accept your choice, but with varying degrees of "enthusiasm".

You may freely question nearly anyone, including the Sebitti still in their jars.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

It's uh, been near 24 hours since the update. I'm guessing this is a bad sign?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Halloween could mean people are a bit distracted, I wouldn't worry too much.

Say nothing
BEJ

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1. I was meditating, praying to EL that we could find a peaceful resolution. I lost track of time. I'm sorry for putting you in that position.

2. Cute! Do something from the old tales!

3. 30% focus on lessons.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. B
2. E
3. K

I would ask a Sebbitti how best to quietly kill the zealot leader but I'm not sure which to ask.

Halloween seems to be a four day holiday this year.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
1. C Meditating and praying for guidance
2. E. A bitchin' bird friend.
3. J.

I would like to separate the jars one at a time and ask each who they truly are. We've got options in our back pocket, let's get some info on our jarfriends and see if they're batshit crazy. My initial interest is in the organizer.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

1. I was meditating, praying to EL that we could find a peaceful resolution. I lost track of time. I'm sorry for putting you in that position.

3. 30% focus on lessons.

+1

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

3. J.

I would like to separate the jars one at a time and ask each who they truly are. We've got options in our back pocket, let's get some info on our jarfriends and see if they're batshit crazy. My initial interest is in the organizer.

This.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

3. 30% focus on lessons.

+1 to these options.

The people need more hands on time from their Shepherd, especially with Arandus making his power plays.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I want to be sure, are you referencing Ishum?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 1, 2017

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A F J

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

FaustianQ posted:

It's uh, been near 24 hours since the update. I'm guessing this is a bad sign?

Probably Halloween. I know that I check threads based off unread post count - so if there's like 3 unread posts I'll give it a couple of days before checking back. Don't worry about your game, it's fun!

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

Cannon_Fodder posted:

3. J.

+1

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Well, in the interests of moving things along a bit, I'm going to go ahead and answer Cannon_Fodders questions. Apologies in advance if I screwed this up Cannon.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

3. J.

Later during the night, when all are either asleep or gone, you ruffle through your bag containing the jarred Sebitti, and one at a time you take them to a secluded area, making sure to your knowledge no one follows you. First, you speak to Ishum, and put to him a question you will repeat several more times during the night. "Who are you, truly?"

You sit and wait, staring at the gems reflecting light from an invisible source, and casting their dancing illusory flames upon you and your surroundings. But finally he speaks, just before your patience breaks. "Why come to me now? Have the adventures with dangerous criminals you set loose not entertained you?"

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Why do you refer to them as criminals?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Aades posted:

Why do you refer to them as criminals?

"Because they are! Traitors and deviants! Sapasiel refuses to shed blood in the name of mankind! Zedekiel is a murderous zealot that should have never been rehabilitated! Anael is a deserter and coward! Eremiel warped the skin and souls of men to fit his ambitions! Dvora built ruthless weapons of war that brought untold suffering! Zevulun was a slayer of kings and anarchist who revealed in the chaos he created! AND BEHIND IT ALL, THAT WRETCH AND CURSED BE HIS NAME MALAKIEL ENABLED THEM ALL, WHILE BLINDING ME ALL TO IT!!!"

You feel your own chest heaves involuntary as Ishum's pain and rage seep into you, and you feel the overwhelming urge to cry and begin tearing at your clothes and hair in despair.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

"Why did Malakiel enable them and deceive you? What were his motivations to do such a thing?"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Butt Discussin posted:

"Why did Malakiel enable them and deceive you? What were his motivations to do such a thing?"

"Malakiel was crafted to serve as a war planner, and given great latitude for implementing his plans. He sought out such deviants on false pretenses, gave them everything they wanted, and using lies, gifts granted to him and his talents with mind tricks and illusions he kept his activity hidden, even convincing some others were guilty of the crimes he and his gang committed. As to why, to fathom the mind of the deranged and insane is to seek to become one yourself. His motivations and intent matter little in the face of the results."

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

"Malakiel was crafted to serve as a war planner, and given great latitude for implementing his plans. He sought out such deviants on false pretenses, gave them everything they wanted, and using lies, gifts granted to him and his talents with mind tricks and illusions he kept his activity hidden, even convincing some others were guilty of the crimes he and his gang committed. As to why, to fathom the mind of the deranged and insane is to seek to become one yourself. His motivations and intent matter little in the face of the results."

"Hrm, I would think that failing to fathom the minds of your adversaries is a great way to lose to them. Certainly someone who had actual faith and conviction could understand heresy without falling to it, as opposed to having to protect their weak faith by burying their head in the sand?

*wait for response*

Putting that aside, what were your goals? Who, exactly, did you serve, and to what end? What do you know about El, Smattas, or other figures from the Old Tales? What would you do now, if freed?"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Butt Discussin posted:

"Hrm, I would think that failing to fathom the minds of your adversaries is a great way to lose to them. Certainly someone who had actual faith and conviction could understand heresy without falling to it, as opposed to having to protect their weak faith by burying their head in the sand?

"I did not bury my head in the sand! Malakiel clouded my eyes and those of others! If a Sebitti does not see reason then the solution is simple, I don't nor does anyone need to know why they shun their duty and purpose."

Butt Discussin posted:

Putting that aside, what were your goals? Who, exactly, did you serve, and to what end? What do you know about El, Smattas, or other figures from the Old Tales? What would you do now, if freed?"

"When I was whole, before awful Malakiel, I simply hoped to create a safe world for mankind. I served as an overseer to my Lord Enki, a nephilim of great moral character and power, as we worked with the Melachim who had not fallen to cleanse this world of it's mistakes. That this is not common knowledge amongst your people fills me with despair."

"You keep saying El as if it's a name. Who is your El? Who is Smattas? What are the Old Tales?"

"I would swat you upside the head for being so rash, make contact with whatever might be left of a higher authority in this age and turn in the Sebitti. Hopefully your El and Smattas will have mercy upon you and transport you to safety."

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 2, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

FaustianQ posted:

"Because they are! Traitors and deviants! Sapasiel refuses to shed blood in the name of mankind! Zedekiel is a murderous zealot that should have never been rehabilitated! Anael is a deserter and coward! Eremiel warped the skin and souls of men to fit his ambitions! Dvora built ruthless weapons of war that brought untold suffering! Zevulun was a slayer of kings and anarchist who revealed in the chaos he created! AND BEHIND IT ALL, THAT WRETCH AND CURSED BE HIS NAME MALAKIEL ENABLED THEM ALL, WHILE BLINDING ME ALL TO IT!!!"

You feel your own chest heaves involuntary as Ishum's pain and rage seep into you, and you feel the overwhelming urge to cry and begin tearing at your clothes and hair in despair.

Lets wake this chick up next.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I'd like to tell what we know of El and the old tales to this guy, but I'd imagine that would take a vote?

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Butt Discussin posted:

I'd like to tell what we know of El and the old tales to this guy, but I'd imagine that would take a vote?

I'll support it.

Tell Ishum about the Old Tales and El, Labaras, The Mountain

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Considering the number of people playing, I need one more affirmative.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

I'll support it.

Do it!

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
do it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Yeees

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

You decide to fill Ishum in on what he has missed for the last untold millennia. Of El, who made the world and all in it, and how El has existed since the dawn of time. How he made Mount Har and placed upon it Paradise, where the Melachim and the souls of those who died reside. How before Labaras had come to El, man was terrorized and enslaved by the demons. How Labaras forged a new pact with El and how with those who followed them, they smote the demons and freed man. How Labaras founded the first city, Baitel, at the base of Mount Har. How his grandsons spread out and founded the cities of man, each protected by their pious king and his mighty men. You tell him all the Old Tales you know, tales of mighty men, great kings and heroic adventurers, on how the Melachim would bring aid the darkest of times. Of Labaras and Enkidu. Most stories are about fighting demons and rescuing people, you don't know much else but you do tell all you know. You speak to him of the Melachim you know; Smattas, Ganal, Badoma, Xuriel, Marnal, Yafef, Damat, Ophal and Faradnu, and speak of their deeds each in turn.

When you finish after an hour, Ishum remains silent, in shock? Contemplation? Despair? You don't know, but when he replies his tone is flat and betrays nothing. "This does not sound like the world I know, and from what you tell me, someone has crafted a great deception. To what end I can't comprehend, for it does not sound as if you're people have morally strayed. But know that someone has obfuscated your peoples history." Another pause. "I must speak to one of your Priests of El, I need more clarity."

Minivote: You know only of one currently available priest, Arandus. Do you reveal Ishum to Arandus? For clarities sake, do you want to do this immediately, after you're done questioning the interned Sebitti, or at a later date?

Apologies to AJ.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 2, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yes, but only on condition he does not speak of the other jarred and decanted ones.

Edit: No worries. Later.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 2, 2017

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Hmmm what if he uses the information we've provided him to try to convince Arandus to free him?

I don't really trust this fellow as far as we can throw his jar.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I'd talk to Malakiel first. Ishum seems like he could possibly be helpful, but only if we can convince him to cooperate with the other Sebitti first, which might be difficult.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Yes, but only on condition he does not speak of the other jarred and decanted ones.

Edit: No worries. Later.

If no one else votes in the next two hours on the minivote this wins.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
sure, let him talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
gently caress no, keep this to ourselves.

You were correct, FaustianQ sorry for my slow response.

Can we ask him about his world? Maybe names for events have changed.
Can we open up our handy-dandy tablet and dick around to find a "history lessons" program? I would love to have a reference even if it's an object created by one of our biased Sebitti.

• Locked thread