Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
E.

They know of Smythos at least, so at least they are vaguely the same faction as the current Powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Butt Discussin posted:

F

I suggest we have Malakiel subject Arandus to question time about El.

:agreed: Can't pass up an opportunity for weaponized question time.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

quote:

1. Arandus has made his offer, what do you say in return?
A. This is ridiculous! Deny Arandus his request, for it is clear El has made his judgment already in sending the Sebitti. If you do this you are claiming divine guidance and revelation.
B. As A but go further, Arandus is a trator and heretic! You and only you will speak for El and his heavenly host now!
C. Agree, have Malakiel and Anael submit themselves before El and his mercy to prove they are not demons.
D. Agree publicly, but instead you will seek to eliminate Arandus before this sniveling weasel of a man tries to get people killed for his misplaced sense of duty and faith.
E. You must consult with the Sebitti first, it shall be their choice, and they will face the consequences for it.
F. As E but you will attempt to shield them from potential consequences for their decision.
G. Write In!

E. We need to figure them out. If they have an idea what "El" is, they need to (perhaps in a candid conversation) tell us so we may best know how to proceed. What are their stances towards bending the knee, are they under any allegiance or oath?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

AJ_Impy posted:

E.

Well, strategist? What are our options and contingencies for proceeding here?

Mr. Nemo posted:

G, this is what's up Malakiel, you are the strategist, what do you suggest?

"I am bound by oath to my lord Enki, to change allegiance is one thing in the face of a new world, but to kneel in supplication and worship some false pretender who claims dominion over man is far too bitter a pill to swallow. My suggestion is to remove this Arandus from power however you see fit."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All right, Question time him.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
G, Aradnus, Malakiel wishes to ask you a few questions about your faith

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
E

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I just want to be clear, what does the thread expect to come of Malakiel attempting to question time Arandus? Because I get the impression you're trying to use Malakiel as a literal verbal assassin.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

D

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
A I'm enjoying the read! If dunno if other people read CYOAs like I do, but I tend to binge read them when I have time off so I will frequently miss votes. I wouldn't worry too much about a schedule, just try not to burn yourself out. :munch:

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

I just want to be clear, what does the thread expect to come of Malakiel attempting to question time Arandus? Because I get the impression you're trying to use Malakiel as a literal verbal assassin.

Maybe he'll learn enough to conclude that El is the rightful successor to Enki? Maybe he'll overawe Arandus into submission with his demonic Divine powers? Maybe he'll solve the Arandus problem more permanently. Or maybe he'll just politely question him, learn something, and then we can all go our separate ways, like the last batch of deserters.

I don't feel like murdering Arandus, but I do think him getting himself killed by provoking something way stronger would be pretty funny. Or he can just leave, whatever.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I wanted to get to an update to night, but after an exhausting day it's not coming to me. Will do so in the morning. Voting is closed, E has won.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

I expect hilarity.

E: drat leaving replies open all night

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Apologies for the late delivery, the curse tried to strike (two exhausting days followed by power outage eating 75% of my writing) but it's delivered! Please let me know of corrections needed and PM for any suggestions!

FaustianQ posted:

You turn to Arandus's messenger and ask him his name. He replies meekly "Laban, sir." You tell Laban that if Arandus wishes to speak to you, he can come to the front right now and do so plainly. Laban's eyes dart back to Malakiel before he nervously vanishes back into the host behind you. It is almost an hour later when Arandus appears, shadowed by three fairly large men. Bodyguards then. Aarandus seems to make pains to ignore the presence of Malakiel, focusing solely on you. "Speak Arandus, what is so grave that we must wait until dusk and speak in hushed tones?" You are obviously mocking him and it visibly gets under Arandus's skin. A quick temper. "Efraim, shepard of our people" Arandus opens, "I was attempting to allow you a private conversation to save face. If in your wisdom you wish to make it public, I do so at your behest." You're not particularly amused of Arandus's game so far but you let him continue as others nearby begin to listen more closely. "I can understand your hesitancy in sacrificing the...", Arandus motions to Malakiel. "The Sebitti" you answer for him. "Yes, the Sebitti. Our faith has no name, no story of them, so I hope you can forgive me for acting so rashly. They seem to have acted in our best interest so far. Yet many cannot see as you and I do, and demand evidence that they are not demons." You are getting impatient, this is an obvious plot. "Get on with it Arandus."

"Yes of course. Since you seem to have the ear of the Sebitti, I ask that you come to them with this offer to allay the fears of those whom faith is all they have, and have them humble themselves before El, offering sacrifice and dedication." You've gathered more than a few listeners now, and it won't be long before Arandus's offer now becomes well known. You'll need to make a decision, and from the faces of those around you, they seem quite sympathetic.

"A most heavy weight is now upon you Efraim, shepard of our people. I shall leave now, and leave you time to ponder. When you come to your decision, I am sure you shall let your people know." Heavy weight indeed. Dusk approaches as you finally reach the valley, and your people are ion awe at the mighty timbers that jut from the ground in random places on either side of the path. Even more confusing are the green spade like cloth that grows on them in abundance, and your host slows nearly to a stop in their reverie. "Trees, [unintelligble]" Malakiel tells you. "Trees" you mutter to yourself, still in amazement. You can hear the things Malakiel called birds chirping and calling high above you, catching glimpses as they fly from branch to branch. The sudden calmness of the growing night is shattered by thundering footsteps coming from deeper within. Panic starts to set in as they grow louder and louder, clearly heading for your direction. Just before they break, Anael appears, looking oddly healthier and stronger. Her features have softened and become more human, less ghoulish. Ease sets in as everyone seems to breathe a collective sigh of relief. "I have scouted ahead and found a cavern that was den to some Musmahhu that we may use for shelter. From there, the river is a days journey if you are still keen on following it, but it flows slow and deep." You follow Anael deeper into what Malakiel calls a "forest", until you reach your destination, an enormous cavern in the side of the valley rock face. You notice immediately a staggering pile of bones just outside of it, many of various shapes and sizes but a great many you recognize as vaguely human. What ever lived here must have had a voracious appetite, but it appears that Anael speaks true and the caverns are empty. Your people settle down for the night, their backs protected by the valleys rocks on one side, and the ever vigilant gaze of the Sebitti on the other. You consider Arandus's proposal as the night drags on. You will make you're announcement tomorrow, but what will it be?

1. Arandus has made his offer, what do you say in return?
A. This is ridiculous! Deny Arandus his request, for it is clear El has made his judgment already in sending the Sebitti. If you do this you are claiming divine guidance and revelation.
B. As A but go further, Arandus is a trator and heretic! You and only you will speak for El and his heavenly host now!
C. Agree, have Malakiel and Anael submit themselves before El and his mercy to prove they are not demons.
D. Agree publicly, but instead you will seek to eliminate Arandus before this sniveling weasel of a man tries to get people killed for his misplaced sense of duty and faith.
E. You must consult with the Sebitti first, it shall be their choice, and they will face the consequences for it.
F. As E but you will attempt to shield them from potential consequences for their decision.
G. Write In!

You may freely question anyone. I try to be on #madgod on synIRC but I shoot me a PM if you need anything. At the suggestion of some in the thread, I'll be moving to a more fluid update schedule between 24-48 hours depending on voting rate. I had originally kept the fast pace because I didn't want to lose/bore the readership, this may have been having the the opposite effect apparently, sorry about that.

You decide that such an important decision must be made by the Sebitti themselves, and so late in the night when fewest ears could eavesdrop, you invite Malakiel and Anael to discuss the events with their 5 jarred companions. Malakiel earlier in the day had already been clear that his oath to his previous master was of paramount importance to him, but there was always the possibility his mind could be changed? You settle down in the dark, Anael insistent that there be no fire lest a wandering patrol or monster take notice and decide to investigate. Apparently the Sebitti aren't inconvenienced by the darkness at all? They move swiftly and gracefully in the dark while even after having lived your life in the caves you still fumble about clumsily. You open the discussion by filling Anael and the others in on what precisely Arandus has proposed.

Anael does not hesitate in responding. "So this El, what is his name." You explain that El is his name, and even in the dark you can make out Anael's puzzled face. "His name is forbidden to be spoken?" You are...not sure? You've managed to keep the barebones of your faith going over the years, sometimes details have been lost and this is one of them. Malakiel interjects, "This is why I advocate for discrediting this man, if they are so unsure of the particulars of their faith then we are dealing with a zealot convinced of his own righteousness and rightness, or in other words a fool." Anael seems to be mulling it over and politely asks you, "What are the tenets of your faith?". You can hear the shock in Malakiels' voice when he speaks. "You cannot be serious Anael? You serve Erra, it is your duty to uphold-" Anael cuts him off. "And we were stuffed into jars when we became inconvenient to the powers that be, because we began to grow away from the narrow existence given to us. Why must we owe allegiance to them? Erra is now Eremiel and I refuse to serve him, as would you!" Malakiel retorts back, "But you are still bound to Enki!", to which Anael matter of factly replies, "Do you feel Enki anymore Malakiel? I do not, he is gone. The comfort, that reassurance is gone. Instead a thousand clawing hands and eyes reach out from the darkness to poke, prod and probe. But above all there is one larger, beyond all others," you can vaguely see Anael gesturing near direct north, "and if in my service to it I can evade the horror of my mind and being from becoming invaded and rifled through then I will take it."

"I agree with Anael, those who we swore fealty to became corrupt! Maybe with new leadership there might be fewer heretics to deal with!" You are startled by the sudden intrusion of Zedekiel, having grown accustomed to the jarred Sebitti remaining silent.
"Can I at least have a corporeal body to even swear fealty in? I can't even take the first step in sacrilege!"
"I TOO DEMAND PHYSICAL FORM! BUT NOT TO BOW BEFORE SOME PRETENDER! THE MORTALS SHALL BOW BEFORE ME, AND OUR PROBLEMS SHALL BE RESOLVED!"
"Truly all will be awed by your impression of the Ouroboros"
"HOW GENEROUS OF YOU."
"If this El is truly the new god of man, and our original duty is to man, then is it not within the bounds of our oath that we now serve this new El?"
"If Smythos is a servant to this new power, then I must follow, and so should we all." It takes you a second to recognize the dour voice in your head as Ishum, so rare does he speak.
"NO ONE ASKED YOUR OPINION"

"CHASHAH!"

You lack the proper experience to describe the feeling washing over you, it's as if the air itself is trying to crush you. You cannot move, you cannot speak and your mind is deeply, disturbingly still. But just as quickly as it came, it recedes. Malakiel is standing, apparently the one who shouted. "Enough!", he exclaims, "You will remain incorporeal for now, giving you physical form will only make the current situation more volatile." You can sense Malakiel's gaze upon you. "As for you, I believe I've made my choice clear. I refuse to break my oath, not for a man who demands I convert to a skeleton of a faith and to an El he may as well have conjured whole cloth from his head. He is a zealot, and power hungry at that and will only be trouble further down the line, I suggest you deal with him." You can feel the scorn as tangible in Anael's voice as she fires back, "You would have Efraim fight your battles for you? If only you were so pragmatic about your oath as you are with everything and everyone else." The silence the hangs between you three is deafening and the tension could be cut with a knife. Malakiel turns to leave, but you've yet to have your say.

1. You finally have a moment to interject and potentially change minds, do you?
A. No, let things fall as they may.
B. Yes, write in whatever argument you wish. Write ins will not compete with each other and instead will be used concurrently.

Regardless of your decision, Malakiel leaves you and Anael alone for the night, taking watch until morning. Anael asks you questions regarding your knowledge of El and of your faith, the sound of whittling wood in the background. She listens intently, nodding in approval of the old tales, and you get the impression she takes great joy in their violence. What she takes much less joy in is when you come to describe the role of women in society.

"I am not a seamstress, nor some demure housemaker. I am not a songbird to cage; I am not property!" You're not quite sure what to tell her. In your culture someone as large and powerful as Anael simply does not exist, at least not a woman. Women simply do not fight or work the crafts and trades. Well, there was Bareen but she was a sorceress empowered by demons leading people away from the church. There was also a woman named Ruth whom Enkidel, Magistrate of Kavodel, had declared a man. Anael would have to become celibate though, and if while this might work with your current company, there is no telling how those from Ur proper would react to Anael being a "man".

"I am willing to pledge loyalty and serve faithfully a new El of Man, but I will not revoke my rights to combat, craft, good drink, to wear what I see fit or sleep with whoever I may! What's more, are you to tell me you don't expect the women in our host to bear arms and defender the menfolk or thier own children? Absurd! Everyone should be ready to fight, this is hostile territory! Efraim I ask that you make effort to solve this, or I may feel compelled to do so in my own way."

2. Anael is refusing to acceed to your societies gender norms, what do you tell her?
C. Your hands are tied. You'd want to do something but you cannot within the bounds of your culture.
D. Offer her the "Ruth Solution", it's the best you can do. This is absurd on it's surface, but it has worked before.
E. Offer to fight for her rights as a man, but her alone. This won't make anyone happy, neither Arandu's hardliners or potentially quite a few women.
F. Offer to fight for all women to have similar rights as Anael is demanding. This is a maddening level of heresy.
G. Refuse to help at all. Anael is a woman, and should know her place in the society she elects to be a part of.
H. Write in.

Regardless of your decision, you leave Anael for the night and finally attempt to catch some sleep before the rising of the sun signals a new day. But before you can finally drift off to sleep, you feel a familair intrusion into your mind.

"EFRAIM, I REQUIRE YOUR ATTENTION! I WISH TO MAKE A DEAL MORTAL; RELEASE ME FROM CONFINEMENT, AND NOT ONLY WILL I SOLVE YOUR ARANDUS PROBLEM, I WILL TEACH YOU TO UTILIZE YOUR INNER STRENGTH!"

You have a very clear idea on how Eremiel plans to "solve" your "problem", and if the stories are true Smythos himself would appear and smite you. You have no idea what he means by "inner strength", to you it sounds like honeyed words and an empty promise of power. But Smythos nor any of El's melachim have shown themselves yet nor in all the years of your captivity, and Eremiel is indeed offering a potential solution, even if it goes against everything you've been taught. You will also need a 'source' for him to return to physical form...

3. Eremiel is trying to bargain for his release, what do you do?
I. Accept his terms, and find a human victim so Eremiel can manifest.
J. Accept his terms, but do not sacrifice a human and instead find another way.
K. Refuse. Goodnight Eremiel!
L. Write in.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 24, 2017

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

AEK

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 22, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Did one of the Sebitti just infer another one would basically crawl up his own rear end? :laffo:

ADK

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Can I get clarification on this vote? I and K are both options under 3.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

BFK

B argument: wouldn't it be wiser to withhold judgement on El until you actually speak to people with extensive knowledge of him? Perhaps an actual priest, or, if you have the power, even a Melachim?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
A F K

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

FaustianQ posted:

Can I get clarification on this vote? I and K are both options under 3.

Changiing yo Butt's B, E, K

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1a2e3k

Finally caught up :getin:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Welp this situation is p.hosed up. I'll wait for someone to come up with a cunning plan, my brain feels sluggish.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

How large is the group? How large is the Aradnus faction?

Malakiel, I'd rather avoid bloodshed.

Can we split the supplies and abandon Aradnus group during the night?

If we tried to split during the day their faith would force them to try to kill us, and they would senselessly perish.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Mr. Nemo posted:

How large is the group? How large is the Aradnus faction?

Malakiel, I'd rather avoid bloodshed.

Can we split the supplies and abandon Aradnus group during the night?

If we tried to split during the day their faith would force them to try to kill us, and they would senselessly perish.

Do you want me to count this towards B or do you want individual answers to each of these?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BEI - Butt Discussin's B argument and pour Eremiel's jar on the sleeping Arandus, gently caress that guy.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
B F K

Argument: It is said our people were wholly enslaved by monsters and demons before they were freed by Labaras, who taught that our freedom was only possible and sustained through the might of El. Arandus' fear and distrust of you stems from that wisdom, and I fear the people of Ur will react much as he will. I would suggest you, before all of us, pledge to El the service of seeing us safely to Ur, and make a sacrifice to El to that effect. I have heard from our elders that certain sacrifices to El can give rise to unnatural events, proof of the will of El. So, hopefully, such a sacrifice could display the will of El and lend some trust unto you, so that we may be sure of your motives.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

FaustianQ posted:

Do you want me to count this towards B or do you want individual answers to each of these?

I don't know. Mereniel seems convinced conflict is unavoidable, unless we kill Aradnus. I'd rather not happen, and an alternative is splitting the groups. He's supposed to be a strategist, let's hear what he thinks.

Of course, I totally expect that 80 people leaving all at once is going to alert the rest, no matter how you do it

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
A
C
L: Drink Eremiel; get crazy gains

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

A little late but I'm going to give a 2 hour warning before I close the vote and begin updating. K is currently the only option definitively winning, A is tied with B, E is tied with F.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B We cannot say what happened to the ones you describe. It is possible they may be atop Mt. Har and known as El. It is possible they are no longer present. Would you cling to pride over proof? Would you prefer to blind yourself to what is with the comforting shroud of what was? Seek truth. Let truth guide you. I was born in darkness, raised a slave to monsters. This is far above me, yet many look to me for guidance. If those we have saved fight amongst themselves, they are all lost. My duty is to them, those who are here and now. I... I need your help if we are to have any chance. Draw the line here and there will be conflict. Let reason rule instead.

F Ain't no such thing as a halfway heretic.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
F

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Whoops, went a bit over but voting is closed now B, F and K win.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

FaustianQ posted:

Apologies for the late delivery, the curse tried to strike (two exhausting days followed by power outage eating 75% of my writing) but it's delivered! Please let me know of corrections needed and PM for any suggestions!

You decide that such an important decision must be made by the Sebitti themselves, and so late in the night when fewest ears could eavesdrop, you invite Malakiel and Anael to discuss the events with their 5 jarred companions. Malakiel earlier in the day had already been clear that his oath to his previous master was of paramount importance to him, but there was always the possibility his mind could be changed? You settle down in the dark, Anael insistent that there be no fire lest a wandering patrol or monster take notice and decide to investigate. Apparently the Sebitti aren't inconvenienced by the darkness at all? They move swiftly and gracefully in the dark while even after having lived your life in the caves you still fumble about clumsily. You open the discussion by filling Anael and the others in on what precisely Arandus has proposed.

Anael does not hesitate in responding. "So this El, what is his name." You explain that El is his name, and even in the dark you can make out Anael's puzzled face. "His name is forbidden to be spoken?" You are...not sure? You've managed to keep the barebones of your faith going over the years, sometimes details have been lost and this is one of them. Malakiel interjects, "This is why I advocate for discrediting this man, if they are so unsure of the particulars of their faith then we are dealing with a zealot convinced of his own righteousness and rightness, or in other words a fool." Anael seems to be mulling it over and politely asks you, "What are the tenets of your faith?". You can hear the shock in Malakiels' voice when he speaks. "You cannot be serious Anael? You serve Erra, it is your duty to uphold-" Anael cuts him off. "And we were stuffed into jars when we became inconvenient to the powers that be, because we began to grow away from the narrow existence given to us. Why must we owe allegiance to them? Erra is now Eremiel and I refuse to serve him, as would you!" Malakiel retorts back, "But you are still bound to Enki!", to which Anael matter of factly replies, "Do you feel Enki anymore Malakiel? I do not, he is gone. The comfort, that reassurance is gone. Instead a thousand clawing hands and eyes reach out from the darkness to poke, prod and probe. But above all there is one larger, beyond all others," you can vaguely see Anael gesturing near direct north, "and if in my service to it I can evade the horror of my mind and being from becoming invaded and rifled through then I will take it."

"I agree with Anael, those who we swore fealty to became corrupt! Maybe with new leadership there might be fewer heretics to deal with!" You are startled by the sudden intrusion of Zedekiel, having grown accustomed to the jarred Sebitti remaining silent.
"Can I at least have a corporeal body to even swear fealty in? I can't even take the first step in sacrilege!"
"I TOO DEMAND PHYSICAL FORM! BUT NOT TO BOW BEFORE SOME PRETENDER! THE MORTALS SHALL BOW BEFORE ME, AND OUR PROBLEMS SHALL BE RESOLVED!"
"Truly all will be awed by your impression of the Ouroboros"
"HOW GENEROUS OF YOU."
"If this El is truly the new god of man, and our original duty is to man, then is it not within the bounds of our oath that we now serve this new El?"
"If Smythos is a servant to this new power, then I must follow, and so should we all." It takes you a second to recognize the dour voice in your head as Ishum, so rare does he speak.
"NO ONE ASKED YOUR OPINION"

"CHASHAH!"

You lack the proper experience to describe the feeling washing over you, it's as if the air itself is trying to crush you. You cannot move, you cannot speak and your mind is deeply, disturbingly still. But just as quickly as it came, it recedes. Malakiel is standing, apparently the one who shouted. "Enough!", he exclaims, "You will remain incorporeal for now, giving you physical form will only make the current situation more volatile." You can sense Malakiel's gaze upon you. "As for you, I believe I've made my choice clear. I refuse to break my oath, not for a man who demands I convert to a skeleton of a faith and to an El he may as well have conjured whole cloth from his head. He is a zealot, and power hungry at that and will only be trouble further down the line, I suggest you deal with him." You can feel the scorn as tangible in Anael's voice as she fires back, "You would have Efraim fight your battles for you? If only you were so pragmatic about your oath as you are with everything and everyone else." The silence the hangs between you three is deafening and the tension could be cut with a knife. Malakiel turns to leave, but you've yet to have your say.

1. You finally have a moment to interject and potentially change minds, do you?
A. No, let things fall as they may.
B. Yes, write in whatever argument you wish. Write ins will not compete with each other and instead will be used concurrently.

Regardless of your decision, Malakiel leaves you and Anael alone for the night, taking watch until morning. Anael asks you questions regarding your knowledge of El and of your faith, the sound of whittling wood in the background. She listens intently, nodding in approval of the old tales, and you get the impression she takes great joy in their violence. What she takes much less joy in is when you come to describe the role of women in society.

"I am not a seamstress, nor some demure housemaker. I am not a songbird to cage; I am not property!" You're not quite sure what to tell her. In your culture someone as large and powerful as Anael simply does not exist, at least not a woman. Women simply do not fight or work the crafts and trades. Well, there was Bareen but she was a sorceress empowered by demons leading people away from the church. There was also a woman named Ruth whom Enkidel, Magistrate of Kavodel, had declared a man. Anael would have to become celibate though, and if while this might work with your current company, there is no telling how those from Ur proper would react to Anael being a "man".

"I am willing to pledge loyalty and serve faithfully a new El of Man, but I will not revoke my rights to combat, craft, good drink, to wear what I see fit or sleep with whoever I may! What's more, are you to tell me you don't expect the women in our host to bear arms and defender the menfolk or thier own children? Absurd! Everyone should be ready to fight, this is hostile territory! Efraim I ask that you make effort to solve this, or I may feel compelled to do so in my own way."

2. Anael is refusing to acceed to your societies gender norms, what do you tell her?
C. Your hands are tied. You'd want to do something but you cannot within the bounds of your culture.
D. Offer her the "Ruth Solution", it's the best you can do. This is absurd on it's surface, but it has worked before.
E. Offer to fight for her rights as a man, but her alone. This won't make anyone happy, neither Arandu's hardliners or potentially quite a few women.
F. Offer to fight for all women to have similar rights as Anael is demanding. This is a maddening level of heresy.
G. Refuse to help at all. Anael is a woman, and should know her place in the society she elects to be a part of.
H. Write in.

Regardless of your decision, you leave Anael for the night and finally attempt to catch some sleep before the rising of the sun signals a new day. But before you can finally drift off to sleep, you feel a familair intrusion into your mind.

"EFRAIM, I REQUIRE YOUR ATTENTION! I WISH TO MAKE A DEAL MORTAL; RELEASE ME FROM CONFINEMENT, AND NOT ONLY WILL I SOLVE YOUR ARANDUS PROBLEM, I WILL TEACH YOU TO UTILIZE YOUR INNER STRENGTH!"

You have a very clear idea on how Eremiel plans to "solve" your "problem", and if the stories are true Smythos himself would appear and smite you. You have no idea what he means by "inner strength", to you it sounds like honeyed words and an empty promise of power. But Smythos nor any of El's melachim have shown themselves yet nor in all the years of your captivity, and Eremiel is indeed offering a potential solution, even if it goes against everything you've been taught. You will also need a 'source' for him to return to physical form...

3. Eremiel is trying to bargain for his release, what do you do?
I. Accept his terms, and find a human victim so Eremiel can manifest.
J. Accept his terms, but do not sacrifice a human and instead find another way.
K. Refuse. Goodnight Eremiel!
L. Write in.

You were born into slavery, working the mines. You know mining and have some knowledge of the old tales. Until now you've never been tasked with leading people nor are learned in debate, yet people now come to you, expecting you to lead and give guidance. Arandus, a self styled acolyte of El, has put forward an offer to smooth tensions he created, that Malakiel and Anael humble themselves and offer sacrifice to El to prove they have no ill intentions. Yet this has caused them to come to blows, as Malakiel steadfastly refuses to comply to such demand. You watch as Malakiel turns to leave feeling, no, knowing that it would be ill advised for him to reject Arandus's ultimatum. You decide to act on these feelings and call out to him, hoping to sway him.

"Malakiel, if your objection is that Arandus knows not his faith, is it not wisdom then to listen to those who are well versed in it before passing judgment?" Malakiel turns to you and scoffs. "Efraim, do you have a Priest of this El you have been hiding from me? Have you stuffed him in a sack, ready to be pulled out like a market magician would? Arandus will not wait until we reach the walls of your home for my conversion, he demands it now." Undeterred, you continue.

"Yet your actions would divide the faith, the refugees we lead, and put all at risk! There is a way to avoid bloodshed here Malakiel, if your duty to man is so great then surely you must see that breaking your oath in the face of a new world is a small price to pay?" It must be your imagination, but Malakiel seems to grow, and his image sharpen. The moon casts little light yet you can almost discern the color on Malakiel, who now speaks with a fiery edge to his tone. "Does an oath mean nothing to your people? To this new order? Am I to sacrifice my character and dignity to an El I know not? Does your El take kindly to insincere conversion done for political calculus? Would it entertain you to see myself humiliated before your El smites me?" It is clear Malakiel is becoming enraged, but your persist.

"Then don't convert, but pledge yourself to seeing us safely to Ur and Acco. I do not ask you dishonor yourself nor dishonestly convert Malakiel, but to put forth a show of good faith. This would ease fears, fears that arise from our past. It was said we were once enslaved wholly by demons and monsters before we were freed by Labaras, and that our freedom is sustained by the might of El. Arandus and those like him fear you because they can only explain you away as demons. It is said that through certain sacrifices that El reveals his will to his people, and I believe as long as our genuine in your sacrifice and dedication El will make it known and look favorably upon you." You seem to have defused his anger somewhat, and take the moment to press your advantage.

"Know that we cannot say what happened to the ones you describe. Maybe they rest upon Mt.Har, with our El? Maybe we know them by new names in service to him? Maybe they are forgotten, lost to memory and the world. But in the face of this, would you cling to pride over proof? Would you blind yourself to what is, and linger instead within what once was? That does not seem in your nature Malakiel, you seek truth. Seek it and let it guide you." Malakiel does not interject, instead his anger has ebbed and he is now intently listening; You deliver your coup-de-grāce. "I was born in darkness, raised a slave to monsters. This is far above me, yet many look to me for guidance. If those we have saved fight amongst themselves, they are all lost. My duty is to them, those who are here and now. I... I need your help if we are to have any chance. Draw the line here and there will be conflict. Let reason rule instead." Malakiel can be hard to read at times, and this is one of them. You're not sure what impact your arguments had on him, but he does leave in much less of a terrible mood than he would have had you not spoken. Maybe it will be enough tomorrow?

You are brought out of your musings by Anael's whittling. You discuss the particulars of your faith and Anael proves to studious and attentive, right up until you reach the role of women in your society. She very strongly objects to her theoretical future role. "I am willing to pledge loyalty and serve faithfully a new El of Man, but I will not revoke my rights to combat, craft, good drink, to wear what I see fit or sleep with whoever I may! What's more, are you to tell me you don't expect the women in our host to bear arms and defender the menfolk or their own children? Absurd! Everyone should be ready to fight, this is hostile territory! Efraim I ask that you make effort to solve this, or I may feel compelled to do so in my own way." You think deeply on this as Anael impatiently waits for your answer. You consider offering her the option of being considered a man as Ruth of Kavodel fame, and then in turn consider simply trying to make an exception for her, realizing that this may upset all parties equally. None of these options satisfy you, and you while you feel your hands might be tied, you see that only as a copout. No, if you are to be responsible to your people, you will expand the rights of all women. This is extremely heretical, but you will have supporters nonetheless, and a compelling argument due to the shortage of able bodied men, especially after the defection of some of Zomaya's people the previous night. A society of people must learn to bend in the face of a new wind, or risk breaking. "Anael, I will do my best to argue for you, and all women to share in equal privilege. Know there will be a price for this amongst the very people we seek to appease with your conversion; I hope El finds your sacrifice favorable." Anael seems pleased, and goes back to her whittling. You leave her and retire for the night, the day having been exhausting and the need to be up early to lead your people through a new day weighing on you.

However, as you close your eyes, you are interrupted by the thunderous sound of Eremiel's voice in your head. You are starting to find how his very communication pushes all thought aside very irritating. "EFRAIM, I REQUIRE YOUR ATTENTION! I WISH TO MAKE A DEAL MORTAL; RELEASE ME FROM CONFINEMENT, AND NOT ONLY WILL I SOLVE YOUR ARANDUS PROBLEM, I WILL TEACH YOU TO UTILIZE YOUR INNER STRENGTH!" You briefly consider taking him up on the offer and pouring him over Arandus, and how satisfying it would feel. But you banish the thought, and instead tell Eremiel good night. "EFRAIM, YOU CANNOT IGNORE ME! ONLY I OFFER A REAL SOLUTION! ONLY I OFFER YOU REAL POWER!". Sleep well Eremiel. "I CANNOT SLEEP EFRAIM, AND I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO EITHER UNTIL YOU RELEASE ME!". You proceed to try to ignore Eremiel, but to no avail. For hours he unceasingly pesters you in new and creative ways, even going so far as to invade your dreams to awaken you. You are starting to get desperate with Eremiel's insistence, but how to get him out of your mind? You think back to a little earlier in the night, when Malakiel was able to silence everyone with a word. What was it? Chashah? In irritation, you decide to speak them aloud, if it would silence Eremiel and let you sleep.

"Chasham"

You feel as if all the wind in your lungs has been sucked out, and you are left gasping for breath. You vision blurs, at first producing a double image, then four and then as if you have two frames of reference. You look about and are startled to see your spasming body below you. You are a cloud of blue and violet, swirling together like oil on water, devoid of distinct shape. You can feel yourself expanding, fading, going dark. Panic starts to set in, as you REALIZE, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE! EL HELP ME! SMYTHOS! MARNAL! SOMEONE HEEEELP, I'M GOING TO DIE!

1. NOOOOOO!
A. PANIC
B. PANIC MORE
C. YOU'RE GOING TO DIE
D. YOU'RE DEFINITELY DYING
E. SCREAM IN AGONY
F. SCREAM IN DESPAIR
G. CRY OUT TO EL!
H. CRY OUT TO ANYONE!
I. AAAAGGGGHHH!
J. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
K. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 25, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Reclaim our body! It's right there, it belongs to us, claim it!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GG Ephraim!

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
B OH poo poo OH poo poo

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

G

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
G

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

1. G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Nobody here but the Sebetti and Fare and we already know what his idea of hospitality is like.

L: Uh, a little help Sebetti, please?

• Locked thread