Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

for this reason my answer is "most games from the N64 and PS1 era." it's amazing how many PS1 games have ludicrously long opening cut scenes

pre rendederd cut scenes are cancer. N64 did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
itt people point out things that it didnt take me 20 years to understand or things that are wrong

Jose posted:

all of the 3d GTA games are terrible on console because they control like poo poo. even GTA 5 controls like poo poo
the gently caress you talking about. i played it on pc with an xbox 360 controller (as i would any 3rd person action game). it was fine

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

for this reason my answer is "most games from the N64 and PS1 era." it's amazing how many PS1 games have ludicrously long opening cut scenes

What always sticks out for me with those games is how clunky the mechanics and interface of those games were. I could accept if the graphics were bad but there's always some mix of sea of menus/really backwards implementation of mechanics/character controls like they're on ice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Old strategy games that have no keyboard shortcuts at all and require you to click everything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gary oldmans diary posted:

itt people point out things that it didnt take me 20 years to understand or things that are wrong
the gently caress you talking about. i played it on pc with an xbox 360 controller (as i would any 3rd person action game). it was fine

They have learned nothing about making the game control not poo poo in 10+ years. You turn like a cow lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Many non-platformer NES games.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Oblivion

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

1500quidporsche posted:

What always sticks out for me with those games is how clunky the mechanics and interface of those games were. I could accept if the graphics were bad but there's always some mix of sea of menus/really backwards implementation of mechanics/character controls like they're on ice.

a lotta this is due to the psone design handbook

the original intent was for circle to be yes and x to be no (so a lot of really famous games like ffvii use this even though we feel like it's bassackwards today)

then you have poo poo like the triangle button being intended for actions that were "up" or "head" related, so camera controls and stuff

and square was intended to generally be a menu button - the square's symbolic of a sheet of paper

so we have sony handing out dev kits that had these tortured explanations for what the buttons were supposed to be for except it didn't take into account how people actually used them in gameplay at all. it was a rough like ~3 years of lovely and bizarre controls, but some really cool/experimental stuff came out of it

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
All the late 90s 3d poo poo is really funny now. Like, a) it's funny that these games came out at the same time as Street Fighter 3 and Symphony of the Night, which still look awesome and b) it's also funny that Sony was looking at those gorgeous 2D games and openly saying "people aren't gonna buy this poo poo anymore now that they can drive a car made of shuddering triangles into the picture plane at 10 fps"

Of course that's with hindsight, and at the time it was actually really loving cool to be moving Mario around in unbridled 3D, or to see German expressionist cinematography in Final Fantasy, and i didnt care at all that it obviously looked kind of jank. So whatever!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rutibex posted:

pre rendederd cut scenes are cancer. N64 did nothing wrong
i'm not gonna lie, when i was a kid, i looked at all the cutscenes that PS1 had with voice acting, i wanted nintendo to get with the program and do that. luckily, they knew what they were doing and have looked better for it as a result

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
They should remaster this game. I loved it in its day, but the textures are horrifying today.

(Summoner, PS2 / PC)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

3d gta is a good example to look at the evolution of what 3d gaming could handle. i never really got into saint's row so i can't really compare but i'm sure it was more or less the same
I went back to GTA3 the other day and while the textures are muddy rear end and the controls somehow even clunkier than you remember, it's actually pretty decent. The basic architecture of GTA didn't really change until 5, and the devs clearly knew how limited they were so most of the really janky stuff is more of a proof-of-concept (the boats, the plane). The only real exception is the gun controls, where they hadn't gotten a hold on lock-on/reticulated aiming, which they compensate by making the shotgun so widespread you can just spray and pray.

Saint's Row 1-2 were a really intelligent pre-emptive "we see GTA is starting to take itself way too seriously and focus on realism, so we're going to focus on quality-of-life improvements to cartoon-style GTA." They had waypoint trails, improved gang controls, character customization, and more only it didn't control like the awful floating that was GTA4.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

oblivion looked like rear end the exact second it was released

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blue Raider posted:

Tangential beef: the voices were bad. Not to mention that two loving people did the voice for all the elves. High, Dark, Bosmer. Two people. A guy and a girl. So the King of Worms sounds like that crazy guy in Skingrad, who sounds just like the guy who's taunting you in your jail cell. Disgraceful.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Nah, that game's been fairly consistent in quality.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Blue Raider posted:

Worst orcs ever.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

phasmid posted:

Tangential beef: the voices were bad. Not to mention that two loving people did the voice for all the elves. High, Dark, Bosmer. Two people. A guy and a girl. So the King of Worms sounds like that crazy guy in Skingrad, who sounds just like the guy who's taunting you in your jail cell. Disgraceful.

They blew the entire VA budget on Patrick Stewart.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Gameboy-gen Pokemon

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

NihilismNow posted:

Precisely what I was thinking.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

and sean bean and terrance stamp of all people lol

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Total Annihilation is another one that is unplayable now because it came out before Starcraft invented proper RTS controls

The controls are vastly better in TA, and the main thing it has over Starcraft. The problem is the infinite resource veins allow the game to go on for loving ever. Scarcity is an important thing for making games decisive and faster paced.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bob James posted:

By today's standards Diablo 2 is a lovely game made by retards.

By today's standard?!

Honestly though, I just had a discussion with dudes at work about this, we came to the conclusion that's it gotta be the Fable series. They were a big deal when they came out, but hell, playing those today is excruciating. Every, EVERY quest is a fetch quest for someone. The weapon/magic system was dumb as hell and trying to buy new weapons an armor was a major rear end pain. And 3? Yeah I want to go around collecting and making clothing dyes, wtf

UncleMoeLester
Oct 25, 2016

Midget Fiddler
Lipstick Apathy
Half life

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Any RTS where you attack with a right-click

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Julius CSAR posted:

By today's standard?!

Honestly though, I just had a discussion with dudes at work about this, we came to the conclusion that's it gotta be the Fable series. They were a big deal when they came out, but hell, playing those today is excruciating. Every, EVERY quest is a fetch quest for someone. The weapon/magic system was dumb as hell and trying to buy new weapons an armor was a major rear end pain. And 3? Yeah I want to go around collecting and making clothing dyes, wtf

Fable 3 is a game that did not age well and also it was born 100 years old.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
From the "Something Awful" Gentlemen's Gazette, May 20, 1940

Dear sirs,

I am writing to express my agreement with BigDickHootinSailor13's
missive of May the 6th, specifically with regards to the inferior
quality of the first decade of Technicolor moving pictures.

It seems to me both unnecessary and distasteful
that such quantity of labor and money were expended on the de--
velopment of color film techniques, merely so that we in the
audience could clearly perceive that each actor has had their
face painted in a manner characteristic of a Fag.

Please find enclosed an image of the policeman from Krazy Kat
appearing to smoke marijuana.

I remain,

The Constructivist Gamer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Turok 2 is pretty much unplayable now due to the n64's terrible controller and the loving frame rate dipping to single digits if you have the audacity to fire any of the cool guns

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NihilismNow posted:

Skyrim still only has like four VAs total so apparently Patrick worked for scale.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Skyrim still only has like four VAs total so apparently Patrick worked for scale.

That guy who voiced the Thieves guild leader is like every 3rd important NPC and merchant.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i was gonna say the 3d sim games but in retrospect sim copter still looks pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-m-EKAus04

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bodyholes posted:

The controls are vastly better in TA, and the main thing it has over Starcraft. The problem is the infinite resource veins allow the game to go on for loving ever. Scarcity is an important thing for making games decisive and faster paced.

I mean the lack of finite resources and longer, drawn out fights are kind of the hallmarks of the TA/SupCom games. They're much more focused on map control and resource access.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

every leisure suit larry game

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Is still fun. Most of the better 90s FPS games are. DOOM, Half-Life and Unreal are still fun. Not without problems, but still fun.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Secular Humanist posted:

I always thought goldeneye sucked, cause the experience was so lovely compared to PC first person shooters of the same era. The quake engine moved smooth as silk compared to the dogshit 5fps slideshow action of goldeneye. I have never understood why everyone went apeshit for that game

Yes, but Goldeneye allowed you to have 4 player multiplayer action going. Doing that with a PC first person shooter required you and your friends to lug your PC and giant loving monitor to someone's house to play in the same room. And then you'd spend an hour just getting your dumbass friend's PC connected to your network. By the time you got to play, it's already taken like 2 hours to setup.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yes, but Goldeneye allowed you to have 4 player multiplayer action going. Doing that with a PC first person shooter required you and your friends to lug your PC and giant loving monitor to someone's house to play in the same room. And then you'd spend an hour just getting your dumbass friend's PC connected to your network. By the time you got to play, it's already taken like 2 hours to setup.

Lol you think Secular Humanist has friends

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

WatermelonGun posted:

Lol you think Secular Humanist has friends

I didn't actually suggest that, I was just informing him why Goldeneye was an amazing game.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Conker's Bad Fur Day was the only good game

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

Turok 2 is pretty much unplayable now due to the n64's terrible controller and the loving frame rate dipping to single digits if you have the audacity to fire any of the cool guns
has that been fixed in the HD release?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

has that been fixed in the HD release?

UHHHHH is this a thing????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

UHHHHH is this a thing????