Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
2xtreme for PS1. One of the most generic racing games of all time. I have no idea why I bothered with it. Cool Boarders 2 is basically unplayable these days.

Also, Rodents Revenge for Windows 3.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I dare anyone to try and play the first Warcraft game now.

Also the first Tony Hawk game has some pretty clunky controls that are hard to get used to after playing almost any other Tony Hawk game. Doesn't help that it's missing so many features later installments had, either.

naem
May 29, 2011

Julius CSAR posted:

By today's standard?!

Honestly though, I just had a discussion with dudes at work about this, we came to the conclusion that's it gotta be the Fable series. They were a big deal when they came out, but hell, playing those today is excruciating. Every, EVERY quest is a fetch quest for someone. The weapon/magic system was dumb as hell and trying to buy new weapons an armor was a major rear end pain. And 3? Yeah I want to go around collecting and making clothing dyes, wtf

Fun story- I bought fable 2 for ten bucks and really liked the blacksmithing mini-game, which was like a flash game. It paid well. I'd come home and play blacksmithing for like a hour at a time after work for a month or so.

Anyways I earned so much money that I maxed out how much cash you can have at like a million, but I was like level 2: so I bought the most powerful weapon (a hammer) and the most expensive clothes (clothes determine how attractive you are).

These items cost a LOT and pretty much broke the game because I could one hit every single enemy, also every girl in the game immediately proposed to me. I don't think you were supposed to actually every be able to buy these items lol

I literally ran from one end of the game to the other smashing every enemy, with a herd of female npcs begging me to marry them chasing me across the landscape. It's the single most fun I've ever had in a game

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
christ the homeworld cataclysm one really got to me

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The original silent Hill is still good, the original Warcraft feels clunky as hell

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

1gnoirents posted:

christ the homeworld cataclysm one really got to me

The first Homeworld had a great storyline, and was groundbreaking as an RTS which took place in 3 dimensions. It also looked great for the time. Homeworld 2 was good, but tripped over its own dick with all the religious prophecy junk. The Taiidan and Vagyr boiled were kind of old-hat as the evil galactic empire antagonists, though.

Cataclysm was just awesome in every way. Great story, improved gameplay over the original, and the Beast were so good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HAT FETISH posted:

every single rare n64 game
Donkey Kong 64 in particular. that game is good for Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong, and being a great example of terrible game design

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

Donkey Kong 64 in particular. that game is good for Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong, and absolutely nothing else

That game fuckin suuuuuuuucks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

That game fuckin suuuuuuuucks.
i watch LPs because i'm a huge loser, and one of my favorite ones is the DK64 one. it's fun to watch DazzlingAddar start it by saying "this is one of my favorite games of all time" and then progress to "oh god everyone is right this game is terrible"

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

i watch LPs because i'm a huge loser, and one of my favorite ones is the DK64 one. it's fun to watch DazzlingAddar start it by saying "this is one of my favorite games of all time" and then progress to "oh god everyone is right this game is terrible"

I was like... 12 when it came out and was so disappointed. You have to collect almost every goddamn banana in these huge, boring levels with boring enemies and hideous controls.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

This is a pretty good post. In only one additional sentence you are able to conclusively prove that the opening statement is true. A+

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Any Atari 2600 game. Any one. They all suck.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

I was like... 12 when it came out and was so disappointed. You have to collect almost every goddamn banana in these huge, boring levels with boring enemies and hideous controls.
the controls were ok and the camera was actually not bad. but gently caress the Nintendo Coin and the fact that so many collectables were unnecessary. and super gently caress Beaver Bother

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Two Free Toppings posted:

I played Homeworld again a couple of years ago and had a blast. My computer is poo poo so I haven't played many modern PC games but as far as I know Homeworld is still pretty singular just for how thoroughly and successfully it embraced the z-axis. I only played a dozen hours maybe, but I could see someone who had never played it before still being able to get into it.

The graphics are not the best.
The graphics are 1999 but the art design is some of the best. Real good spaceships. When I'm modeling some spaceships (with modern specs) one of my most important references for detail and texture work is still Homeworld.

outerw
Oct 22, 2012
I used to play Rogue Squadron 3D on the pc when I was 14 and I remember it as the best game ever. I tried it last year on GOG and I just could not get used to the terrible controls. Mouse and keyboard just dont work on that game, even though I finished it multiple times with that setup.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what about original Donkey Kong Country on the Super nintendo??? That game was hot poo poo when it came out and everyone was going bananas over the graphics but does it hold up? The soundtrack does (i think), but does the rest of it?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah DKC holds up really well, it's still a legitimately fun platformer that ages better than super mario world imo

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pilotwings 64 probably, which makes me sad because that game was extremely my poo poo :(

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've been playing Red Alert 2 recently and while the cut scenes are very cringey, the game itself is very playable and the graphics and controls hold up to this day.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Borderlands 2 is loving trash lmao

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
the gfx in William Shatner's TekWar could use some sprucing up

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Star Wars pod racer game for N64 was cool back in the day. Now it's unplayable.

Why doesn't Nintendo do something correct......and create a follow-up to their masterpiece......Excitebike 64.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The Star Wars pod racer game for N64 was cool back in the day. Now it's unplayable.

Why doesn't Nintendo do something correct......and create a follow-up to their masterpiece......Excitebike 64.

Excitebike Wii seems like a no brainer.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

played system shock 2 for the first time a few months ago. it owned

playing on an emulated classic everquest 1 server right now. it owns

gently caress yall

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

playing on an emulated classic everquest 1 server right now

:captainpop:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I've been playing Red Alert 2 recently and while the cut scenes are very cringey, the game itself is very playable and the graphics and controls hold up to this day.

I agree with this statement with the exception of Kari Wuhrer.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The windows hack for EQMac was the best version of everquest and it's loving amazing that the mac client more or less froze in place at the height of EQ's quality. It's gone now, but tbh planes of power was peak everquest as a fun game to play

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Red alert 2 was the shiznit. Wish it was on steam.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I didn't play Warcraft 1 until, like, 2003 or something. No idea how that poo poo ever caught on. Then again, I'm of the generation that once thought Pong was pretty neat stuff.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Bimmi posted:

I didn't play Warcraft 1 until, like, 2003 or something. No idea how that poo poo ever caught on. Then again, I'm of the generation that once thought Pong was pretty neat stuff.

Pong is still pretty rad if you're too high to stand

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
i'm sorry, but morrowind. best elderscrolls by far, but holy gently caress the combat system is terrible. even compared to skyrim's combat, which is terrible.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

sexpot posted:

Pilotwings 64 probably, which makes me sad because that game was extremely my poo poo :(

original pilotwings aged better than 64 :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

WatermelonGun posted:

Pong is still pretty rad if you're too high to stand

Breakout will always be the superior paddle-based beep boop game.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
If there was an EQ mac server still kickin somewhere i would play the poo poo out of it. No lies

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I am not sure there is any platformer from the N64/PS1 days that has aged well beyond Mario 64. There were plenty with more bells and whistles, but Mario is the only one with those tight, responsive controls that have kept it eternally playable even if the levels are a bit bland and the bosses are boring.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
WWII Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbM2m7USO8A

I still can't decide if the dev team who made this piece of poo poo was loving brilliant or absolutely incompetent. I think a lot of goons came from the community surrounding this game (Bushman?). The fact that this poo poo was pulled off in a semi-working state in 2001 was incredible though. A lot of WWII 64 player multiplayer shooters stemmed directly from this game like BF 1942, Red Orchestra, etc.

Game was just way too ambitious for 2001. It was a clusterfuck in terms of servers crashing, bugs, patches failing, a few patches wiping out the boot partition of your hard drive somehow, disconnects, etc. It never really worked, but it is somehow still functioning and playable to this day. Every time I think about playing this thing all i have to do is look at youtube footage and see that the ground textures, plane sounds, weapon textures, etc. are all STILL using the same loving artwork since 2001-2005

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rascal is a platformer that is impressive because it aged from terrible to incomprehensibly awful

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

basic hitler posted:

yeah DKC holds up really well, it's still a legitimately fun platformer that ages better than super mario world imo

Fun, fast, tight controls if my memory serves me correctly.

So if you missed a hard jump it was pretty much always 100% your fault. That kind of thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
tried twisted metal 2. holy poo poo i could barely beat the first stage, the controls have aged terrible.

also i bought bounty hunter off ps4 and its a weird mix. the gameplay itself is ok but once you get the prison planet the difficulty spikes enormously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Echoing dk64. I don't know how 12 year old me 100%(103%?)ed it back then, it's absolutely horrible especially since Banjo Kazooie is still okay

• Locked thread