Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dreylad posted:

we got a ton of people who confuse free thinking with not doing something that you don't want to do, and at least some overlap with people who don't want to see their childhood obsessions to be frozen in amber for all time.

arguments about our society being increasingly infantile are probably wrong broadly speaking but there's some strong counterexamples here

If anything these people are explicitly complaining that society is not infantile enough for them

Boomers are the boys who never grew up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

a Loving Dog posted:

Being nostalgic for anything at all is mental illness. live only in the moment.

Memories of the past? that’s a bourgeois affectation, comrade.

KomradeX posted:

Isn't their a species of monkey that figured out there's some fruit tree that if they wait to collect the fruit from the juice inside will ferment and they can get drunk off that

there’s also a species of monkey that figured out you can just wait for a human to order a cocktail and then steal it the moment they get distracted

work smarter not harder

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

live in the present, live for the future

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

a Loving Dog posted:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/GuyLodge/status/1386083668800716801

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weird that the NYT would think the Oscars are about funneling young women to Steve Mnuchin and Harvey Weinstein

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
So are we no longer pretending that the oscars are about recognizing the best movies

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That post feels more like satire the more I think about it even though I know it almost certainly isn't.

It echoes too many just-world arguments regarding institutional discrimination too perfectly.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A former victim becoming a victimizer is a sadly common pattern.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

smug jeebus posted:

So are we no longer pretending that the oscars are about recognizing the best movies

did anyone ever think that was a thing? oscar bait has been a term for at least as long as i've been alive

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1386409191426772993

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, it's great that in a capitalist paradise like the US everyone has equal access to healthcare.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

more people died to covid than ww2 in the US btw

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
obesity kills more people each year than ww2 in the us

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Charles Ingalls posted:

Hundreds of Thousands Dead at the Hands of Fat Man

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Remember that article that showed rich people in the US were calling COVID a poor persons disease, fun times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1900 total dead. chump change. America did that poo poo 3 times over every day.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KomradeX posted:

Remember that article that showed rich people in the US were calling COVID a poor persons disease, fun times

I think it’s supposed to be an Own on the basis that some of capitalism’s contradictions in Venezuela have not yet been resolved 100% so it’s not an absolutely perfect paradise yet (thanks mostly to US meddling).

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I think it’s supposed to be an Own on the basis that some of capitalism’s contradictions in Venezuela have not yet been resolved 100% so it’s not an absolutely perfect paradise yet (thanks mostly to US meddling).

I think it's meant to plant another little nugget of snide contempt in the readers mind so that when we start taking military action everyone is just a bit more likely to be on board

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

no mention of sanctions in that article

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
shokcer

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

no mention of sanctions in that article

theyre precision guided targeted sanctions (they dont hit articles)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
they are experiencing a nation state involved trade hiatus

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Charles Ingalls posted:

adbusters cover of a WWII propaganda cartoon but Hitler, Il Duce, and Hirohito are represented by Ronald McDonald, The Burger King, and Wendy

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KomradeX posted:

No, link please.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

No, link please.

I can't find it. But I remember it being talked about sometime last Summer into the Fall as rich people started finding ways around COVID restrictions because they were wealthy righ to pay for treats abd treatments so they didn't del they needed fyi be locked dowb like the unwashed masses

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KomradeX posted:

I can't find it. But I remember it being talked about sometime last Summer into the Fall as rich people started finding ways around COVID restrictions because they were wealthy righ to pay for treats abd treatments so they didn't del they needed fyi be locked dowb like the unwashed masses

I remember it mostly through the lens of Instagram.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VideoTapir posted:

No, link please.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/08/luxe-quarantine-lives-of-silicon-valley-elite

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Cool that Musk is $120 billions richer now than he was in August apparently. Teslas stock went up that much?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Syncopated posted:

Cool that Musk is $120 billions richer now than he was in August apparently. Teslas stock went up that much?

federal reserve pumped a million billion dollars into the stock market last year

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dr. Killjoy posted:

federal reserve pumped a million billion dollars into the stock market last year

let he who is without sin cast the first stone

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Killjoy posted:

that was a funny day when people realized the economy is 100% fake

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

A NYP writer publishes a(n exaggerated) story about Kamala's book being given to (at least) one kid being held at our concentration camps yesterday, and today haughtily tweets about how she's resigning because they made her write the awful story. Fine, but she ends saying she's sad to leave and she loved writing for the best tabloid in NYC?

My 👁 mind is guessing she got shitcanned by the Post to cover their tracks, and now the writer is trying to pivot by saying actually she quit and she's the ethical one. I'll bet by the end of the summer she's grifting on MSNBC.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Laura Italiano sounds like a comedy skit name

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Laura Italiano sounds like a comedy skit name

wwhy Post is piss. why Post is piss #lauraitaliano

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The Failing New York Times: Laura Italiano

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/pissofftrumpz/status/1387084954887098373?s=21

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Siri show me an example of terminal peasant brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Laura Italiano. Eyyyyy she's writin' 'eeeeeeeeeeeere. Dat fake story? Fuggedaboudit.