Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

a different sort of austerity, where you fire all of your actual reporters to hire more assholes nobody likes or asked for to write on your op-ed page
that's what espn did in their latest round of layoffs, and what every single journalism outlet has been doing for years, even decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

come on now, maureen dowd is far more than just the op-ed columnist who ate too many edibles and freaked out. she's also good for political fanfiction

LinYutang posted:

I thought the age of trump was supposed to usher in new-found interest in Not Fake news?
i've heard many things that trump was supposed to usher in, but this was never one of them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

How much do all of their op ed contributors get paid

How much does Ross Douthat make
if it's anything like ESPN, the people with the Bad Opinions probably make the most money

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

back in the day, krugman called out the stimulus package for being half tax cuts and half direct stimulus, that it should have been bigger, and there should be another stimulus in the future. i agree with all of those points. he's a keynesian economist which still operates within the capitalist mindset, but political attitudes have shifted so far to the right that reading those views felt novel

even back then, though, krugman would write the occasional column backing standard DNC conventional wisdom. i haven't bothered with the op-ed page in years, but if he's ramped up those columns recently, then i can deal with lumping him in with the rest of them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if any essay, op-ed, or thinkpiece brings up David Foster Wallace, that's your cue to stop reading it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

i dont understand what he wrote and why it matters
it doesn't matter at all, it's self-important wankery

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my friend sent me this article about a divide in black Democrats in NY and i hate it more as time passes by. if you want to know whose side the Times is on in a given article, just look for who gets quoted first and most prominently. also, it apparently didn't occur to anyone there that there were two black Democrats elected to the NY Senate last year on solidly progressive platforms- Robert Jackson and Zellnor Myrie. additionally, at least one of them (Myrie) took zero dollars in real estate money. unlike Brian Benjamin, he knows that rent laws and getting money out of politics go hand-in-hand

that doesn't fit their narrative, of course, so they just whitewash the opposition outrage and interview one black activist

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

absolutely nobody can question your identity when it comes to your politics, unless you're being determined that you're "punching down," then it absolutely doesn't matter

also if you don't think Ben Shapiro is the Worst Jew then eat a bullet. he promotes European civilization like a Nazi and also embraces debate, a format that partially owes its format to medieval disputations that were intended to forcibly convert Jews

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the best jew is Eric Andre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only rational thing to do with pharma is to nationalize it

CountFosco posted:

Henry Kissinger?
whoops i stand corrected