Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

the point is to discredit the paper by letting it run blatant "RADICAL JOE BIDEN" poo poo next to their news coverage about how awesome and wonderful Biden is.

It's an ad, dude. They bought an ad. The Washington Post does a great job of discrediting itself every loving day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

turns out that selling off creative control of half your website to literally anyone with enough money has some drawbacks after all!!!!!

Watching a DnD mod criticize capitalism warms the frozen center of my dead heart.

Edit: Now just expand that logic to literally every business on Earth.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

I mean, he's not wrong about remote work. It loving sucks, and if I never have another Zoom happy hour again it'll be too soon.

As someone who did an NYC commute for 5 years, the only motherfuckers who don’t hate that train ride are the rear end holes who are rich enough to avoid it. loving nobody likes working in person, least of all in an overcrowded, stinking, diseased metropolitan wasteland. Jerry Seinfeld is a loving unfunny moron who stumbled into success by latching onto a cast of comedic actors FAR more talented than he ever was. It takes a special kind of rear end hole to be the least funny and most successful person on your own show.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Nice meltdown

Anyway working out of the home sucks rear end because your boss now has 24/7 access to you, and I miss my train commute because driving in rush hour is even worse, fight me

The idea that you prefer having a commute over not having a commute is alien to me. Nobody enjoys the subway, at all. Nobody likes the helpless displays of poverty, the stinking puddles of urine, the public masturbation in packed train cars, the mystery "juice" that drips from legit subway stalactites after the rain, the barely concealed hordes of rats, the constant delays and overcrowding, or the fact that it takes minimum 30 minutes to go 2 stops. It's a necessary evil, and few who miss ever had to do it regularly. Like, say what you want about the freedoms allotted by a coherent a public transportation system, but the trains themselves suck.

If working out of the home sucks, that's a whole different problem. I'm talking about a very specific commute in a very specific part of America. And BTW the word "train" is commonly used to refer to the subway system in NYC.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

sat on my keys! posted:

it doesn't right now, the governor used covid as an excuse to not let people on trains from 1am to 5am in order to kick homeless people out of the system

At a time of rising evictions, only a few months before the cold of November, this can't possibly backfire.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

didnt the nyc system get defunded so much it's like at 1/4-1/5th funding per ridership compared to like the 80s and 90s lol

Yeah, Cuomo is still gutting it. However, ripple effects from cuts to other programs affect it too. For example, the massive shortage of care for the homeless has forced many to sleep on the trains especially in the colder months. The city has a very weird climate of its own, and the tall buildings create canyons that carry the frozen wind howling through the February streets. It’s absolutely awful that people have to go through that, and it has this incredibly demoralizing effect on regular riders as well.

Like, imagine you work for pennies every day in a 2 hour commute to the wealthiest city on Earth. Above the streets are towers of ivory and glass, housing unimaginable riches for the Bank of America or Comcast. These cathedrals of greed have a layer of unequalled ostentatiousness that truly defy any simple description.

It would be one thing if they were covered in gold or precious gems. If famous works of art filled their lobbies, you could kind of understand why one would want all that money in the first place. But I used to pass a bunch of buildings in my commute every day with these giant marble lobbies, and the one thing that struck me was how loving empty they are.

Like, midtown Manhattan must be the most expensive real estate on earth. The land itself must be worth millions. So to buy it all up and fill it with NOTHING is like burning money just to prove you have it. It’s spitting in the face of everyone who has less because you loving can. So to see that absurd display of waste and then walk 15 feet down a flight of stairs to see some of the most repressed people in the country is like driving a wedge splitter through your brain every loving day for 2 hours.

And the worst part is the helplessness you feel. Everywhere there are people suffering, and you can’t even afford to toss them more than a few bucks every week because you can barely afford rent. So you say “sorry” and try to pretend they don’t exist, because every time you think about what real justice would look you find the idea too exciting and frightening for a workday when you have to march into the enemy’s office and smile while you get him some loving coffee. Because if you don’t, it might be your turn to start sleeping on the train.

I’ll stop now. Venting feels good.

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Aug 26, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This reads like someone who desperately wanted to watch the game and is willing to let a dozen innocent men get shot in the back just to see some sweet dunks.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

you think he reads the replies?

HA!

Oh yeah:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Joy Ann Reid is actually a very good representative of American liberals in general (who are extremely bigoted).

FTFY

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Today the WSJ is just straight up arguing that testing young people for covid is a waste of resources so I don't even know anymore, it's like they are begging for the guillotine.

The corrosive power of FYGM is shocking.

Like, they realize that diseases are loving contagious, right? And if more OTHER people have it, it increases the chance that they will get it themselves? And therefore cutting care for others endangers themselves. If your maid or cook or driver or delivery person or one of the dozens of people that you come into indirect contact with every loving day gets covid, you'll get covid too.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It's shocking "Bin Laden isn't dead" didn't become a huge conspiracy theory when we just dumped him in the ocean and didn't release any photos. When that happened, I thought it was going to be the next "grassy knoll" that we'd be hearing about for the rest of our lives.

Like there's people reading between the lines of DNC emails about ordering pizza to find a pedo conspiracy, but the entire world was just like, "Yep, U.S. killed him and dumped him in the ocean just like they said they did. Makes sense."
I think conspiracy theories happen when people don't want to believe the truth. They don't believe the moon landing happened because they don't want to think that the government is capable of cool poo poo. "9-11 was an inside job" because they don't want to believe that the world is an insane and chaotic place where innocent people die every day.

People genuinely wanted to believe that Bin Laden was dead, so they didn't question it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Once again, a Conservative makes a fair observation and a poor analysis.

He let people die to sell books, and profit is beyond criticism.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

this is bob woodwards defense by the way

the libs apparently sincerely find this persuasive somehow

Well, to be fair, it usually takes *checks notes* 7 months to verify a quote.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

tl;dr the nyt is trying to smear the intercept's mishandling of reality winner as due to anti-russiagate biases even though the people at the intercept responsible for the story were publicly russiagate true believers

An important part of any conspiracy theory is the simplification of reality into a moral binary, an us vs them where 'we' are always right and 'they' are always wrong. So, if something lovely happens, it must be 'their' fault, even if 'they' are actually 'us'.

See also: Qanon.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jose posted:

just completely incapable of not both sidesing it

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1311042951821373443?s=20

Gone.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Biden IS the elephonkey.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Not a normal contribution to the thread but:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

If twitter is so concerned with hacks, then why do they still let you post links, to the New York Times,

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yo, can I post crackpipe shots from the NYPost article? Or is that against forum rules?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

brugroffil posted:

I say go for it
This NYPost story is bananas.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/email-reveals-how-hunter-biden-introduced-ukrainian-biz-man-to-dad/

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

brugroffil posted:

It's also kinda completely falling apart given the sources of the information.

At least the new allegations/emails. There's no doubt hunter is a crack using nepotistic party dude

So is the photo shopped? Or faked?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Does it matter either way? Hunter having substance issues is generally accepted afaik, it's why he's the best son, he's the only one remotely relatable

It's just crazy to me how there has been a total media silence on it. Seriously, if this had been a Trump kid, it would be plastered over every news outlet on Earth.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

thats not candy posted:

dont mind me just catchin a quick wank before we get back to our masturbatory election fan fiction

:five:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

See? This is why we make shows about aliens.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

joepinetree posted:

2 days ago the argument was that the emails and messages were fake. Now the argument is that the emails and messages are real, but that the meetings they discuss didn't actually happen.

It may all turn out to be a nothingburger in the end and this is where this ends. But it is obvious at this point that the initial rush to block this story and make it go away was entirely political and not based on any journalistic standards.
I mean, isn't the whole point of hiring Hunter to curry favor with Joe? Did anyone expect him to actually do anything else? Dude's a lawyer, sure. But I somehow doubt he has a lot of training in Ukrainian law, language, or even customs. Exactly what useful expertise does Hunter bring to the job aside from direct political influence in the form of corruption?

Assuming literally everything is fake, does it even loving matter? It's like if a dude goes out and buys a shotgun, buckshot, and a hunting permit in the middle of deer season. Do I need to see the dead animal to know he's gonna go hunt some deer with a shotgun? No. And if he comes back several hours later covered in dirt and leaves without any ammo left, I can assume that he at least tried to hunt deer even if he didn't succeed. At that point, the burden of proof rests on whoever claims he didn't fire his weapon AT ALL.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Rofl the GOP is fine and if biden wins they’re gonna storm back into every non-presidential office in the country in 2022

They gonna declare Biden's electoral victory a sham and impeach him.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITOtFH0WW9k

little known fact but Dave weigel of the Washington post in his college days organized a “students for war” protest in support of the Iraq war

gee whiz Dave you love war so much why didn’t you enlist

Normally I try not to judge anyone for stuff they did before the age of 24, but......

Ew.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I mean, we do share a lot of beliefs with dictatorial regimes.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Holy poo poo. How full of yourself can you be?

Dreylad posted:

yeah, found a screenshot

Can anyone explain this to me?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sup, Nate:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Body of the article:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nate-silver-tells-fivethirtyeight-critics-gently caress-you-we-did-a-good-job

quote:

When elections don’t go exactly as expected, everyone is quick to point fingers at pollsters for getting it wrong. And no one takes more heat than FiveThirtyEight founder Nate Silver.

During a punchy episode of FiveThirtyEight’s now daily politics podcast on Wednesday, Silver pushed back forcefully on anyone out there accusing him or his website of getting the 2020 election wrong by predicting that Joe Biden had a 90 percent chance to win what has ended up being a nail-biter of a race.“I do want to ask about polling, because I think I would be virtually decapitated on Twitter if I didn’t get into this,” podcast moderator Galen Druke said about 20 minutes into the group’s discussion, raising the significant polling errors in states like Florida and Wisconsin. “The pitchforks are already coming for the pollsters and the prognosticators,” Druke said, asking his boss to address the “rage” that has been directed his way over the past 24 hours.

“If they’re coming after FiveThirtyEight, then the answer is gently caress you, we did a good job!” Silver replied, explaining that the only reason former Vice President Joe Biden was considered such a heavy favorite in the site’s closely watched model was because “he could withstand a 2016-style polling error or a bit larger” and still win the election. On the eve of that election, FiveThirtyEight gave Donald Trump a 28.6 percent chance of winning, much higher than other polling aggregators.

Silver also pointed out that the only state where Biden led in the final polling averages and lost at this point was Florida, with North Carolina likely to follow. And Silver said he found it “a bit concerning” that there have now been significant polling misses “in the same direction” not only in 2016 and 2020 but also in the 2014 midterms (though not in 2018).

Appearing on ABC’s This Week with George Stephanopoulos on the Sunday before Election Day, Silver made similar arguments, noting that Biden would still likely win the race even if there was a polling error as big as 2016. Meanwhile, he added, if Trump did end up winning, Silver said he thought it would come down to the tipping point state of Pennsylvania, which still hangs in the balance as of Wednesday night.

“People have false impressions of how accurate polls are, and the fact that Biden had this big lead was why he was a pretty big favorite, not because polls are perfect,” he concluded on the podcast.

In response to Silver’s defiant defense of FiveThirtyEight’s model, Druke promised that the site and podcast would be taking a much closer look at why some polls were so wrong this time. “But we’re not going to do it late at night after we haven’t had any sleep,” he said.

It's so, so beautiful.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

babypolis posted:

shes not wrong, and theres some extremely loving racist white people that get counted as hispanic

Yeah, but she's specifically trying to expand whiteness to include Spanish-speaking communities so she can poo poo on them. Because that's going to be the new normal for Democratic loyalists who would rather blame "others" than examine their own incompetence in this farce of a democracy.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Savvy students of millinery will note the Queen has chosen to wear a phylactery on her hat, surreptitiously signaling her intent to rule for an eternity of un-death

That's a helluva Eyebite she's casting.

Causes fear, sickness, and comatose indeed.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

matty’s leaving vox for substack......... need to hack his subscriber list and give them all swirlies

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1327279949569536002?s=21
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1327279955064074240?s=21

Is this a step up, a step down, or a step aside?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

NPR has become self aware.

RUN!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bruenig wrote that ACB is going to have to find a way to reconcile her Catholicism with the death penalty.

Looks like she did manage to reconcile it.

Mission accomplished.

Look, I'm not saying executing innocent people is a good idea. I'm just saying that's how we found Jesus.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Careful.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm not saying you're wrong or right, I'm just saying be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gerund posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1332689915860180995

An NYT article being endorsed by this loving ghoul informs you that the analysis is data-sparse and features mostly long unchallenged quotes from melt losers.

There is no loving way I'm reading that dumpster-fire of an article. Somehow, they want to talk about Texas, so I did some quick word searches for Latino, Hispanic, and Spanish. 0 results total. Eyes on the loving prize, indeed.