Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rated PG-34 posted:

In most of the world, what the doctor says still goes. “Doctors are more deified in other countries; patients follow orders,” says Josef Woodman, the CEO of Patients Beyond Borders, a consulting firm that researches international health care. He contrasts this with the attitude of his grown children in the U.S.: “They don’t trust doctors as far as they can throw them.”

Hmm, I wonder why US patients don't trust their doctors: they're probably just being pushy and unreasonable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I read Ross Douthat taking about philosophical disputes within the religious right about the current direction of Republican policy and it gave me this weird feeling, like I was reading a 17th century Jesuit discussion about the legitimacy of obeying a ruler's orders when the ruler has lost faith but only admitted that to their confessor or something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/opinion/2020-democrats-change-structural.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

This dude - a professor of Sociology, no less! - writes a thousand word article when he could just have said: "Rich people will always find a way to avoid taxes, so why bother trying to make them pay? :smug:".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I kind of admire the psychotic need of the commentariat class to be respected at all times.

If Twitter has taught me anything, it's that the opinion-column writing classes are universally petty, thin-skinned and not actually particularly clever or well-informed (although they're usually well-connected to the people who hand out the journalism jobs).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dreylad posted:

I wish we could abolish social media entirely and reduce these idiots to having their platform be a soapbox on the corner of a city street

Twitter has been hugely important in developing my understanding that the media class are just a bunch of petty, insecure failsons (and faildaughters) who actually know less about what's going on than the average person in the street.

Without social media, it's conceivable that I could still be looking at their flattering thumbnail portraits, reading the dross written below and assuming that there must be some sort of validity to it, because why else would a newspaper be publishing it?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

School Nickname posted:

They want the plebs to buy what the banks have at the highest possible prices and be left holding the bag of poo poo when crypto is banned or whatever.

As for as the NYT is concerned, their readers are the Greater Fools.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Vomik posted:

I realize different slang and word usage but whenever I read something written by an English person I have no problem figuring it out EXCEPT English media. every time I read a British journalists tweets I feel like I’m having a stroke and I can’t tel which side they’re on

They're all on the side of the Establishment: their tweets are working as intended.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Robert Peston is so helpless and silly that I'm pretty sure he has an intern come round to tie his shoelaces for him every morning.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've now actually read the New Yorker article about the genetics lady and, if nothing else, she certainly excels at self-publicity!

An extremely sympathetic reporter posted:

Harden, who has moss-colored eyes, a wry smile, and an earnest nonchalance, met me at a coffee shop that looked as though it had been airlifted that morning from San Francisco. She wore a soft flannel shirt, faded stone-washed jeans, and dark Ray-Ban sunglasses. The air was hot and dry, but Harden is the sort of person who seems accompanied by a perpetual breeze.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My favorite bit of the article was when she got into a big slapfight with the other members of her faculty, as a result of them reacting like big, dumb, blinkered ideologues when all she was doing was asking certain questions in a clear-eyed and forthright manner.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StashAugustine posted:

(I know it's Korea but also the hats rule)

Korean traditional nation dress is objectively the worst national dress known to humanity.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

You cannot exaggerate just how extraordinarily deranged the UK press is.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sexpig by night posted:

god I loving hate zionists so much, of course that was the actual story and this idiot just lied.

You seem to be suggesting that there's something dishonest about taking a story that goes: "Author refuses offer from Israeli publishing house because she opposes the Occupation and supports BDS" and reframing it as: "Author refuses to allow her book to be translated into Hebrew because she hates Jewish people".

Very anti-semitic.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

When you search for the authors of these sort of articles, you invariably find that they've been getting paid to bang the same identical drum for years and years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Seeing every faction in the UK Establishment unite as one to monster this mild-mannered social democrat when it looked like he might possibly win an election was my personal crack-ping moment lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

you'd think plagiarism and maliciously editing wikipedia pages of other writers he doesn't like would be enough to get you kicked out of british journalism but then you'd be mistaken for thinking they care about anything except protecting their mates

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1477675217468248079?s=20

Yeah, the personal examples he gives in that piece are pure stdh lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DrPossum posted:

I'm glad someone finally realized that no one is really catering to the 200M college educated english speakers

UK edition: What about those Brexit voters, hey? Aren't they just dumb and utterly uninformed, completely unlike us :smug:

US edition: What about those Trump supporters, hey? Aren't they just dumb and utterly uninformed, completely unlike us :smug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Corbyn was such a litmus test for the liberal opinion-having class and they almost universally failed it lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Breakfast All Day posted:

starmer used the same language, they mustve put out a new edition of the centrist style guide

Acknowledging that the army murdered a bunch of British citizens and that the entire Establishment ensured that none of the culprits ever faced justice is awfully un-Grownup politics, don't you know.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, that CNN+ things had the plug pulled already:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/21/business/cnn-plus-shutting-down.html

The nyt posted:

In a move that stunned the media and tech worlds, Warner Bros. Discovery said on Thursday that it will abruptly shut down CNN+ on April 30. “While today’s decision is incredibly difficult, it is the right one for the long-term success of CNN,” Chris Licht, the network’s incoming president, told staff.

The shutdown is an ignominious end to an operation into which CNN sank tens of millions of dollars: from a nationwide marketing campaign to hundreds of newly hired employees to big contracts for name-brand anchors, including the former “Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace and the former NPR co-host Audie Cornish.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eh, I was expecting it to limp along losing money for at least a couple of years before they cut their losses. Am honestly impressed that the new top guy looked at it, said: "this is a poo poo idea" and decisively canned it tbh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

thotsky posted:

The Guardian is doing it too...

I mean, he's not wrong: the sanctions are doing more harm than good, he's not getting a lot of love for pointing it out though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I dunno what's worse: the article or the comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/opinion/progressive-nonprofits-philanthropy.html

The nyt posted:

Democrats Are Having a Purity-Test Problem at Exactly the Wrong Time

There has been a burst of stories in recent weeks describing devastating internal conflicts within progressive organizations, the most conspicuous of which was Ryan Grim’s June 13 Intercept piece, “Elephant in the Zoom: Meltdowns Have Brought Progressive Advocacy Groups to a Standstill at a Critical Moment in World History.”

Grim’s assessment resonated across the internet and was quickly followed by Molly Redden’s June 17 HuffPost account, “Inside the A.C.L.U.’s Post-Trump Reckoning”; Jon Gabriel’s article in the Arizona Republic on June 18, “Who needs a right-wing plot when progressives are busy eating themselves alive?”; Zack Colman’s June 19 Politico column, “Justice or overreach? As crucial test looms, Big Greens are under fire”; and John Harris’s June 23 Politico essay, “The Left Goes to War with Itself.”

According to Grim (and those other reports), disputes over diversity, equity and inclusion — over doctrine, language and strategies — have paralyzed much of the left advocacy and nonprofit sector.

William Galston, a senior fellow at Brookings, has a sharp eye for what’s not working in Washington and has long been a critic of those he feels are pulling the Democratic Party too far to the left. Galston emailed me his take on the current situation...

Spoiler: Galston's take sucks, as does the entire article.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Vox Nihili posted:

"For three days, I can’t speak to my son. I can hardly bear to look at him. I decide this is rational."

lmao

Hey, she's a narcissistic, highly strung, middle class Guardian journalist. Or, more succinctly, a Guardian journalist.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

journalist stenographer

A succinct and accurate description of Janan Ganesh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Us, the good guys, we invade sovereign states like this.

Those dudes, the bad guys, they invade sovereign states like that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*adopts bizarre, 'smugly furious' tone*

Oh, looks like Putler's puppets have infested this thread, have they? How much is the Kremlin paying you to make these posts?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Also, looks like Vice Media is about to go broke:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/may/01/vice-media-group-bankruptcy-report

quote:

Vice Media Group, the company behind popular media websites such as Vice and Motherboard, is preparing to file for bankruptcy, the New York Times reported on Monday, citing people with knowledge of its operations.

The report comes days after Vice shuttered its Vice News Tonight program, and amid waves of media layoffs and closures, including the end of BuzzFeed News.

Vice has received interest from five companies and might consider a sale to avoid bankruptcy, the Times report said, adding that in the event of a bankruptcy, which could happen in the coming weeks, Vice’s debt holder Fortress Investment Group could end up controlling the company.

The company is expected to continue operating normally in event of bankruptcy filing, the Times reported.

A Vice spokesperson did not directly comment on the bankruptcy report in a statement, but said the company “has been engaged in a comprehensive evaluation of strategic alternatives and planning” and that “its board and stakeholders continue to be focused on finding the best path”.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you suggest that perhaps the Western media isn't being entirely straight with us about the whole Ukraine thing, people get incredibly mad at you and start shrieking and hammering the report button. It's like the reaction to the Iraq war all over again, except even more annoying, 'cos you'd think people would know better this time round.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The best portrayal of Cleopatra was of course in HBO's Rome, where she's played as a messed-up junkie piece of eurotrash.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

KomradeX posted:

Russia's claim that it won in Bakhmut may be meaningless — and a good sign for Ukraine's upcoming counteroffensive

So after days of denying they had lost the city now is a good sign that they did. I swear this isn't even the first time a headline like this has happened in this stupid war

Russia: *Captures Bakhmut*

The media: "Ha ha: now the Ukrainians have them surrounded, masterful!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Best Friends posted:

it’s been over a year of nonstop victories and mowing down endless waves of Russians, and we aren’t hearing of a new Russian mobilization, so the only possible conclusion is that Russia is almost done for. The real question is, when will Ukraine drop the final, killing blow?

Russia's been losing so hard and so consistently through the entire war, that it's quite the puzzle how they're still in Ukraine at all, let alone advancing. Oh well, best not to think about it too hard! :downs:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you're out by yourself on some unfamiliar hillside and a bunch of dudes who know the area get the jump on you, you're probably going to die whether you're a raw conscript or the most super, bad-rear end operator in the world. It's not like their elite status gave them the ability to magically levitate themselves away to safety.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
guys is he euthanized or not I need closure

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I said that this missing submarine would generate Discourse with a capital D and that's a lovely example lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Clark Nova posted:

does that happen with all their articles or just barefoot eugenics?

Tried a GIS of "Kathryn Paige Harden feet".

Very disappointing results.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Thanks for introducing me to yet another smug Twitter nerd, I guess!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
How loving tone-deaf do you need to be to publish pieces like: "People keep waving Palestinian flags and it's making me feel awkward and uncomfortable: I'm a victim!" when there's an ongoing massacre of Palestinians happening right now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yeah, Churchill was a real old-fashioned 19th century scientific racist, who believed that:

a) races were totally a thing

b) some races were inherently superior to others

c) that it was the destiny and responsibility of the White race to dominate the world and oversee and supervise the activities of all the lesser races (everyone else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
An article in which a liberal journalist expresses his puzzlement that the voters are indicating a preference for Trump over Biden, even though the media has made very clear who they should be supporting:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/07/donald-trump-joe-biden-state-poll-2024-president-election

quote:

One has signed historic climate and infrastructure legislation, steered the economy past a recession and rallied the west against Vladimir Putin. The other spent Monday on trial for fraud ranting and raving against a judge in a puerile display from the witness stand.

And if a presidential election were held today, Joe Biden would lose to Donald Trump by a lot, according to the latest swing state polls.

Maybe it’s the pandemic, or inflation, or tribalism, but it is increasingly hard to deny that something strange and perverse is happening in American politics...