Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

good piece by david klion on jeffrey goldberg and the atlantic

https://twitter.com/davidklion/status/1026501027472793600?s=21

Great piece. Also appreciate that it attacks the Atlantic itself for all the right reasons. Honestly, it should be renamed the Journal of Received Beltway Wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Shear Modulus posted:

The LAPD was premature and grossly overstepped its authority in revoking the South African ambassador's diplomatic immunity before all the evidence was in, by Bret Stephens

I'm getting too old for this poo poo.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

it categorically is not and i don't know what the antonym for rose sunglasses is, but you've got 'em on right now. smoked shades? idk.

for starters: there were reporters on the ground in vietnam and there have not been unembedded reporters in An Theater since the new milennium barring local stringers like Ghaith Abdul Ahad.

Yeah, the Vietnam was the last war where journalists had any real autonomy at all. The (false) perception that the press, especially after TET, sabotaged the war effort, is why the military now exercises so much control of the press in war zones.

It is true that early on many reporters bought the basic US line on Vietnam, but they were given a lot more leeway in the field and the interviews and combat footage they captured had a much greater visual impact on the evening news. Two thirds of the footage from Vietnam wouldn't exist with today's military and embedded press corps.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Well not totally true. It would exist, but that's because everyone we fight now likes to record the fighting with helmet cams.

Fair enough lol.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Greenwald is a conniving douchebag with a chip on his shoulder, but he's basically right about the Dems and the "liberal" (corporate) media.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Gringostar posted:

id hardly call tucker carlson liberal media

I meant the Times, WA Post and similar "liberal" newspapers that fawn over the DNC and literally believe that all our problems stem from Trump (a complete shithead by and by but not exactly the cause of this shitshow we're in) and Russia. This is based on a profile of Greenwald in the New Yorker and some of his work in the Intercept. I didn't mean the shows he appeared on. I mean the papers he criticizes.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

The NY Times published a great work of "centrist" trash today, in case you wanted to read a ridiculously oversimplified one-cause history of "populism". Its take on the UK post-recession is particularly laughable, and he's basically stretching the term "populist" to its breaking point (basically anything that isn't third-way Clintonism is bad bad bad). The whole thing reads like dnc.txt

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/business/dealbook/financial-crisis-trump.html

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

I can't do it. It's just so loving tedious and overwritten. What's the catch

EDIT: This is actually a summary of the dealbook article I linked to, not the n+1 piece.

The catch is there is none.

It's really as simple as it first appears. Everything was fine, but the economic crisis in 2007 made everyone real angry and susceptible to "radical" messages about how maybe people should have some say over how the economy is managed. Basically, hyper-partisanship and distrust of experts didn't exist until the crisis, factors like ongoing economic despair, vast social inequality, racism, criminal behavior among elites, post-911, the Internet echo chambers and disinformation, political campaigns, the history of the US up to 2007, etc. are basically irrelevant in this piece. Sanders is basically Trump on the left because he wants to restrain trade and the power of the market, and the same goes for anyone else on the left or right. Occupy Wall Street was the same as the Tea Party because OWS dared to challenge the banking elite. The economic crisis has made everyone into little Stalins and Hitlers who want to rain on the economic prosperity parade, and if we can't make the economy appear solvent, manage our debt, or go back to sucking off economists, bankers and investors, there's going to be blood in the streets as the savage Americans, blinded by "populism," demand accountability. LOL. Particularly precious is when he holds up conservative policies in the UK (i.e. austerity) as "populist" to demonstrate how the right and left don't work (because they're just two sides of the same coin lol).

There's more (or less) to it, but I can't be bothered. It's the kind of piece that automatically offends the historian in me by being simplistic rubbish masquerading as sensible and responsible. The fact his interview subjects are all bankers, economists and Obama-era advisers is what really gives it the "we don't really give a gently caress about the little people" DNC shine.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Sep 11, 2018

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

I think there was a link mixup...you're referring here to the "Dealbook" article in the Times, correct?

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm definitely not talking about the n+1 article.

That's okay though, now people have something to look at without having to actually read the lovely Dealbook article.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Really fun watching them panic about Salazar. Oh also I bet none of them are going to run the story that she was assulted by their sainted bib's communication guy.

They've been straight-up smearing her with the shamelessness of the most rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth Trump supporters.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Crotch Douchehat drops another incredible thought (?) piece in the NY Times editorial toilet. Tune in for when his bottom, David Brooks, chimes in about how lack of civility ON ALL SIDES and being very angry indeed at rich people is to blame for the very mean things the president says.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Oct 9, 2018

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Joseance posted:

can't wait to see how the new york times covers this latest mass shooting

White people, so national tragedy that "forces us to look deep within ourselves." To be fair, it will largely focus on guns and extremism. But they'll make sure to point out how the discourse is too mean on all sides. The right and center already have this whole bullshit notion that antisemitism is largely a problem of the left.

Kroger was "that would of been really bad had he managed to kill more than two black people, but as is..."

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Oct 27, 2018

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

No surprise here. The last time L. America "worked out" for us almost every country in it was under a dictatorship, junta or assorted strongman, and state terror was the norm. Nothing worse than a working, democratic and open L. American country to the US business interests / anticommunist hysterics that run our intelligence services. I guess the difference is this time our president and his den of thieves are openly enthusiastic about it, instead of pretending to give a gently caress about human rights.

Boslonaro is also a perfect example of the new level of chud degeneracy. Brazil's military government tried to hide and suppress the truth of what they were doing back in the 1960s and 1970s, and were actually embarrassed by it because they had a sense of shame. Now though, the far-right psychos openly brag about torturing and killing people and enjoy the outrage generated by it. Not sure how fascism got worse, but somehow it did. Or maybe just more honest about it.

But hey, you know, the investment opportunities are sky high for the rich piece of poo poo that doesn't care about human dignity.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Oct 31, 2018

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

making deus ex real

Time to destroy the Aquinas Hub.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Bret is giving some more of his good advice. Thanks Bret!

Yeah, let's all build bridges to people who hate our guts because the Democrats didn't magically take back the Senate. Oh, and antifa thugs. Just make sure you don't notice all that totally-made-up election rigging! Nothing to see there at all!

Kill me.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Nov 9, 2018

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably the majority of American Christianity at this point is basically Jesus-themed money-worship.

I think they need to just accept reality and start openly worshiping Mammon.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

From a man who hasn't had a thought in his life.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

The Atlantic has always been a beltway rag, and beltway publications are always founts of received, hand-me-down wisdom, prescriptions that never work but sound sexy to the powers that be in that they require no thinking or action.

I've had people literally yell at me for saying this lol.

It's the Pete Butteregg of news magazines.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's actually difficult to find pictures of this because it was so bad that i think it has been memoryholed

but this is from it, found on getty images: jared kushner and john stossel at the atlantic 150th anniversary party

also this picture has the added (sad) server in the weird red mask, and the other guy downing a drink and looking like he's up to no good

That server is like a henchman in Venture Bros.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

So this is pretty funny, i.e. insufferable, soul-killing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/03/business/media/punchbowl-playbook-capitol-hill-politics.html

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Jose posted:

obama wasn't a coward he was just an extreme centrist who was able to sell himself as a left wing populist. there is some article from when he first got into politics saying not to trust him for this reason and they reckoned he would go far because of how good a speaker he is but i can't remember who wrote it

He never sold himself as a "populist" or a leftist (even though libs decided to see him as a progressive), he sold himself as a the hope messiah who was gonna reach across the aisle to save the country from partisan rancor. It was a silly idea sold with really effective rhetoric.

Look, I agree that Obama hosed up most everything, but he did it as a centrist, never as a self-proclaimed leftist or a populist.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Jan 16, 2021

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Deficits (suddenly) matter (again)! Tighten those belts, mama wants some austerity!

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I think the times basically cheerleading Lori Lightfoot pulling the usual Illinois-Democrat bullshit attacking unions is the grossest poo poo I've seen the paper do this week. TELL US MORE HOW YOU THREATEN PINKO TEACHERS TO RISK THEIR LIVES FOR OUR BRATS.

The lady who wrote the piece was pretty much creaming her pants.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

The NY Times approach to surviving the newspaper extinction is just publishing libertarian psychopath "think pieces" like this thought nugget.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/opinion/us-school-knowledge.html

quote:

But given my doubts about the value of school, I figure that most of the learning students lost in Zoom school is learning they would have lost by early adulthood even if schools had remained open. My claim is not that in the long run remote learning is almost as good as in-person learning. My claim is that in the long run in-person learning is almost as bad as remote learning.

How do we know all this? My work focuses on tests of adult knowledge — what adults retain after graduation. The general pattern is that grown-ups have shockingly little academic knowledge. College graduates know about what you’d expect high school graduates to know; high school graduates know about what you’d expect dropouts to know; dropouts know next to nothing. This doesn’t mean that these students never knew more; it just means that only a tiny fraction of what they learn durably stays in their heads.

This is especially clear for subjects beyond the three R’s of reading, writing and arithmetic. Less than 1 percent of American adults even claim to have learned to speak a foreign language very well in school, even when two years of coursework is standard. Adults’ knowledge of history and civics is negligible. If you test the most elementary facts — like naming the three branches of government — they get about half right. The same goes for questions of basic science, like “Are electrons smaller than atoms?” or “Do antibiotics kill viruses as well as bacteria?”

If we set aside wishful thinking and calmly reflect on what happened to education during Covid, we learn two valuable lessons. First, schools before Covid gave taxpayers a bad deal, taking lavish funding while imparting little long-term knowledge. Second, schools during Covid gave taxpayers an even worse deal, enjoying massive emergency funding while refusing to provide even day care in exchange.

Even before Covid, American schools were spending over $15,000 per student. Is there any way to get better value for our money? The most straightforward way is to spend a lot less of it. American schools will never make American students bilingual, so why waste precious resources pretending otherwise? The same goes for most of the curriculum.

The opposite goes for private schools. Do they actually boost test scores? The evidence is mixed. But when parents wanted day care in a pandemic, private schools delivered. School vouchers — funding students instead of systems — are therefore another credible way to give us better value for our money. Arizona has already created a roughly $7,000 per student per year school voucher program, which gives private schools incentives to both cut costs and please parents. School choice doesn’t just protect families against future closures; it protects families against whatever goes wrong with education next. Though school choice is no panacea, sticking with our status quo is for suckers.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I like the U.S.'s rail system because it's a nice reminder of how much this country sucks.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

It's been a great day for spectacularly lovely op-eds from the resident idiots of the Times op-ed team:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/10/opinion/elon-musk.html

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

euphronius posted:

I wonder how close the nyt is to realizing it is also right wing like elon

So close I can almost smell it. But they'll never get there. Too much capital at stake, and the scent of money is overpowering.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/technology/elon-musk-management-style.html

The Times' bozo Musk follower laying down some real insights (on what a bunch of sociopathic CEOs like about Musk's "management style").

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Love the Times.

Desantis is "taking on" the establishment, i.e., turning the entire Florida higher education system into Liberty U.

Meanwhile, Bret Stephens' ex talks about how campus "free speech" was threatened by communication guidelines issued by a single Stanford department that were never adopted anywhere. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/03/opinion/free-speech-stanford.html

Lol. We got op-eds about the collapse of the health care "system" and racist policing next to lifestyle bullshit and Catholic griping about woke culture. It's the paper where coherent thought goes to die. Ideological diversity making everyone dumber.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

If the Times had any worth at all they'd have another op-ed writer tear Paul's poo poo apart, but you know, can't have any fighting among colleagues. That's not polite!

There's a couple of nominally decent people writing editorials there. But if they're not willing to cross a line to take this idiocy on they're pretty much in on it, and poo poo by association. I guess the pay is too good to have any standard.

Such a loving rag.

Also, calling this dogshit "reporting" is risible.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Feb 17, 2023

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Another day, another conservative op-ed that strawmans the woke left lol.

This one from Ross Douthat, who's been on some weird ultra-right Catholic tangent related to arcane doctrinal nonsense at the Vatican that no one but right-wing Catholics could possibly give two shits about. In fact, mostly it's just ex-protestant converts who give a poo poo about it. Who's it even for? I have no loving idea.

Honestly, it must be nice to have an unchallenged space in a national newspaper to go off on vernacular mass one day and expound on fantasy Woke the next.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Uber but for Nazis.

That's Ubermensch to you.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Somehow the Times op-ed stable is still talking about Stanford. What is this now, the 20th op-ed written about the right-wing judge hearing mean things at Stanford? It's become like the elite school alumni newsletter, fixated on bullshit that doesn't mean anything for 95% of the US population. Only the They Live aliens that are the US ruling class could possibly equate that Stanford poo poo with state censorship and keep doubling down on it like it's kristallnacht. It must be weird being a loving alien being paid to discuss what you think is important.

Does anyone really give a sincere gently caress about future elites yelling at present elites other than beltway drones? Also, David French's "moral center," whatever the gently caress that means. The guy's a anti-abortion, anti-LGBTQ natalist conservative. Oh, I guess that is the center.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Apr 16, 2023

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

"State run media" is literally true of a lot of these broadcasters, but the only thing Musky cares about is sticking it to the libs, "socialists," and public sector. It's ridiculous our dumb rear end society even considers it being "owned" or defamed. OMG, can you believe the CBC is state funded?! You got them this time! As if private news providers are impartial.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

YaketySass posted:

You could invert this dumb logic: if everything's going so well over here why is it so urgent to unleash austerity?

Also :lol: at the AI thing, does the entire media ecosystem buy into this stuff?

Because they know a text parser can poo poo out articles as good as their own. This content creation could be automated, attached to an AI-generated face, and no one would know the difference. Let's face it, you could replace nearly the entire NY Times and WAPO op-ed writers with an "AI" and they'd probably be less stupid. Semi-coherent poo poo would occasionally appear at random. Writing opinion is just a trophy for attending an elite school anyway.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

ma i married a tuna posted:

All true, but then there's things like reconstructing the gate of Ishtar, which was something crazy like 200 highly trained people working in unison for a decade to make something out of fine rubble. It seems pretty anomalous for a group of people to dedicate themselves to a project like that, and ultimately I'm more pleased and impressed it got done than upset that it was taken from Iraq. I don't mean that as a blanket statement, but big archeological projects seem to have to defy long odds to get done at all.

It is very impressive to see it reconstructed like that. Definitely a high point of my visit.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

Saigon is the imperialist name, the actual name is Ho Chi Minh City :ussr:

I strongly recommend the war remnants museum if anyone visits Vietnam, it is absolutely incredible. There is an entire floor dedicated to showing the effects that agent orange had re birth defects and it is truly horrific gut-churning poo poo.

The War Remnants Museum is great. I also checked out another military museum in HCMC that was pretty cool, though I'm blanking on the name. There's also Independence Palace, which is a nice museum piece/time capsul in itself.

Vietnam has a lot of great museums generally. In Hanoi, I hit up the Museum of the Revolution (which sort of looks at the whole struggle with the French and then the US from the beginning to the end), the Women's Museum (truly beautiful and eye-opening), the National Museum of History (loaded with thousands of years of Vietnamese history and artifacts) and the Hoa Lo Prison, the French dungeon for insurgents turned US POW prison. They have McCain's flight suit on display lol.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 22:32 on May 19, 2023

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And now a bit of heartstring tugging from the actual Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/opinion/shoplifting-urban-safety.html

:qq:
Think of the poor, plucky business owners!

Pamela Paul: master of homing in on the most inconsequential and reactionary moral panics to juice her clicks.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Sheltered white woman afforded every imaginable privilege in life thinks antiracism is the real racism and says we need a nuanced discussion about race. News at 11.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/05/opinion/ibram-x-kendi-racism.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Bret Stephens says the tunnels mean Hamas is solely responsible for Gazan deaths lol.

The tunnel poo poo is seriously funny poo poo. It's like Geraldo's Al Capone vault stunt. These sure are some photos of empty tunnels. Very compelling evidence of nothing in particular.