Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

she's still death crew af but she's a journalist with journalist opinions

anyway the nyt made a good op ed for once

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/opinion/civil-rights-protest-resistance.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&_r=0

reminder that olivia nuzzi wrote this wretched piece of poo poo article

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/08/mike-cernovich-pivots-from-pizzagate-to-not-so-fake-news.html

im pretty sure her irony poisoning act is just that, an act. shes bottom feeding scum who will try to ingratiate herself to anyone, be it twitter leftists or nazi shitheads like milo, cernovich, and coulter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

it read to me like "white supremacy doesn't matter unless you think it matters, which gives it power, black people are actually doing just fine as long as they don't worry about racism", which seemed to me to be a profoundly dumb take

maybe I'm a huge dumbass or something, idk

you misunderstand his argument. hes not saying that racism doesnt exist, hes saying that the way liberals conceive of racism is harmful. that they turn whiteness into some kind of supernatural force that trasnceds human will to make white people uniquely evil and lovely people and that the only thing they can do is shut up and listen. and its true, the way racists and wokes talk about race is remarkably similar, that black people and white people are fundamentally different and they should avoid mixing. the only difference is their prescription. there was a good chapo episode on this not too long ago

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

from 'journalists r the real nazis' to 'blacks r the real racists'. the CSPAM hits are coming back 2 back itt

the people doing that poo poo are overwhelmingly white

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the atlantic version is a lot better and funnier, this one kinda sucks

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Link it? I didn't see it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/11/a-nazi-cooks-pasta/546737/

this one is actually funny and was first so gently caress that wapo hack

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

rudatron posted:

liberals have proven time and time again that they don't have the ideological foundation to deal with late capitalism. People are desperate and scared, and all liberals can give them is a bunch of high minded bullshit about Who We Are As A Nation, as if sentimentality put food on your plate. Naturally, everyone ignores them, and they continue to get surprised that they are being ignored.

these fuckers thought they had stumbled into the ultimate political strategy with clinton, blair and obama and now that the facade has been completely blown away and third way centrism is getting its rear end kicked everywhere in the world they cant understand why their bullshit no longer works

like yeah morons that poo poo worked in the 90s when people thought all problems had been solved and everything was going to be good always. obama managed to extend its expiration date by virtue of his enormous personal charisma. but what the gently caress are empty platitudes going to do when everyone with a brain and a salry under six figures can see with their own loving eyes that capitalism is going to kill us all

babypolis has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Dec 4, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the worst take in a thread full of them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

yes what we need is another lovely thing to worry about during commute other than gas, parking, etc. as always silicon valley coming up with the common sense solutions that make life easier for eevryone

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LinYutang posted:

The times is fine and good, yall are just whining about their editorial page which has always been full of dumb takes?

its loving trash actually.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know why anyone would listen to Mancow about economics.

he writes all the textbooks, he has a huge amount of influence lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

jeb feels identified because he too has evil nazi friends hes too chickenshit to drop

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't know much about her beyond that article and exposure to the shitstorm. I'm guessing she doesn't keep a list of everyone she's ever convinced to be a better person but I also bet if she did it'd be bigger mine or anybody else's here.

lol jesus christ jeb

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

here's richard wolff, an economics professor with a phd in economics from yale who also studied at harvard and stanford. he talks publicly about how economics in academia is a stupid junk cheerleading science, how what they taught him at the ivy leagues were worthless, and the comedy of universities having separate business and economics departments
https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-186-executive-producer-feat-richard-wolff-21818

i resent the idea that business is the actual study of economics. business school is a 4 year nursery for trust fund kids

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Consistently weirds me out how many people in the politics shitposting forum have like actual degrees in things

i have a masters in economics lol im going to loving kill myself

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this jeffrey goldberg person sounds like a real genius folks

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the article itself is not too bad other than the dalit millionares line, whoever writes these headlnes should be loving shot into the sun

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Zokari posted:

it got you to click the link right

thats their entire purpose

i had a hunch the article wasnt as bad as the headline implied, thats why i read it. it was in spite of the headline not because of it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LinYutang posted:

As if any given politically interested millenial leftist isn't equally as privileged

is there a reason you only poo poo this thread up instead of spreading your garbage equally all over cspam

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

jerry seinfel posted:

Idk I think most of these dudes feel vulnerable rbcause they lead lovely lives overall. Some of them are probably pretty well off but it's literally their only positive association in life

How he goes to sexual redistribution after being against any economic poo poo all the time was the point I was making

i mean even in a fair economic system you will always have people with hosed up personalities. elliot rodgers had absolutely everything handed out to him. in a society with healthier views on mental care him and his victims might have been spared but he would always be a narcissistic rear end in a top hat

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

it's precisely because he had everything handed to him that he was such a fuckup

just imagine what a fuckup Barron Trump is gonna end up as, even though his every material need will be met

he could just as easily been a fuckup if his family was poor or middle class. its a nature vs nurture issue. are some people just born completely rotten? yo me the awnser is yeah some people are just going to poo poo barring absolutely perfect conditions that will not be attained in the foreseeable future

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

docbeard posted:

On one hand, sure, on the other hand I have absolutely no interest in being fair to Mitch McConnell so as far as I'm concerned he personally packed a bunch of coke into his own turtle shell and swam it across the border.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

Ken Burns is a piece of poo poo too. Disappointing but here we are

i have no idea why anyone would think hes good

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

Joe Rogan can also change his opinions when presented with facts, something not a single other one of those idiots will do.

The MMA dingus is smarter than the ~intellectuals~.

having a brain so empty it can be filled with just about anything is not worthy of praise imo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

The saddest things in these threads are the people going
"excuse me! Your textual diarrhea in this shitrag has a number of factual inaccuracies!
1)..."

its a good way to attack decorum obsessed swine like bari weiss

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

has there been a single pro palestinian take in this garbage paper

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

unsubscribe from the nyt
stop linking directly to their articles, only copy and paste
force this garbage paper to stop giving pages to bloodthirsty monsters

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

every single one of these is opeds is received with pure loathing on twitter, this cannot be what the readers want to see

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If even child murder - and there's no plausible deniability here where the IDF isn't engaging directly with an intent to murder children - is no longer beyond the pale, then we're heading for a global genocide that will be waged on all of the deprived peoples of the world. There is no feat of mental gymnastics too great for these people to rationalize the "just" use of overwhelming deadly force by first world countries. They all belong in gulags, and I don't say that with any irony and I'm not joking. Every single one of these people who have made excuses for this massacre should be put in a camp and forced to work hard labor for the rest of their natural lives.

its incredibly monstrous and erodes my belief in pacifist revolutions

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

:hai:

Speaking of, I noticed they did a huge article on Jordon Petersen that tries to present itself as critical "JP: Patriarchy defender" but I suspect is mostly fawning, can anybody dive into that pool of wallpaper paste and confirm/deny

i havent read it but will mennaker talked about on twitter a bit and he says its a fantastic takedown of peterson

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jose posted:

He was a dodgy CIA spy for Reagan

hope the russians kill him

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

agc but drawing bari weiss at least 100 pounds fatter than she is irl doesnt help the author's point

shes actually that fat just hides it well

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

sports tribalism is weird.

though soccer fans always have a chip on their shoulder

yeah you are basically supporting a corporation because it happens to be headquartered where you live. its stupid

its why only national competitions are worthwhile

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

Literally all historiography about the greatness of the roman empire is based around the propaganda of post-roman states trying to build legitimacy over their corner of the med and it owns that morons still actually buy this poo poo even in academia.

There's literally nothing Rome did that amounts to a net positive when you look at the world around, because laws, roads, international trade, wine and all that poo poo was already widespread in the region, and the aqueducts were specifically part of solving the sanitation problems of having a city with half a million slaves in it in the iron age. Also Rome may have seriously intensified the spread of slavery in territories it conquered.

they had surgical tools to extract brain tumors and cool little street food stands. they owned

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MizPiz posted:

Western leftists: Enslaving people and destroying cultures in the name of a authoritarian, hegemonic order is a great evil

Also Western leftists: Rome is daddy

i dont think anyone here seriously considers them a model for governance or society or anything like that

they are just a cool historic curiosity

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought their medical knowledge came from Egypt/Greece?

probably a refined version since their main skill was stealing poo poo from others and making it better

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this article is really good and gets to the real heart of the issue. its not about electoral politics its about making these monsters feel even a tiny fraction of the punishment and scorn they are owed

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

In any of them, they talk about his plagiarism and his jet-setting with Jeffrey Epstein? :thunk:

or the fact that he abused his ex wife to the point she killed herself?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im learning more and more that the people who work at the nyt are the most entitled shitheads in the entire planet. i guess thats the result of having a very prestigious job that doesnt pay very well

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jose posted:

Lol being an nyt columnist pays insanely well for the poo poo they put out

yeah but these are all highly ambitious people who went to ivy league schools, they could be pulling high six figures - low seven instead of a lowish six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

douthat, dowd, brooks, stephens, bruni....... they’re all so terrible in such different ways how do you even begin

michelle alexander save usssssss

jeremy peters is a newcomer but hes already making big waves in being a terrible shithead