Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

comedyblissoption posted:

https://twitter.com/PolitiFact/status/1286394320413761536
The president's budget is a non-binding proposal, and his suggested cuts have been consistently ignored by Congress. That has helped Trump escape getting a Promise Broken for a policy he continued to advocate throughout his term. Trump was unable to enact his proposal, and Social Security was not cut. Because we rate outcomes and not intentions, Trump gets a Promise Kept.

This really got me. I yelled "how the gently caress" at my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

How dare white people place themselves in the way of bodily harm to attempt to improve the lives of black people. Don't they understand how poor these optics are?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Taking a page from the Obama playbook I see: capitulate on your most popular policies before negotiation even starts (because you never really wanted those things anyway).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

I went to Portland and found a bunch of anarchists but they are all doing things I agree with so they can't be anarchists. My conclusion is that anarchists don't exist.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/opinion/portland-protests-trump.html

I'm a reporter who wrote a piece on anarchism without learning what anarchism means or is. I get paid a lot of money.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

BBJoey posted:

the phrase "bottom-up authoritarianism" is extremely powerful

God forbid the plebs decide their own fate.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You can lick the boot from the inside!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

freemandela posted:

reparations are fine as long as white colonizers get the money

This has been known since slave owners got compensation to deal with the horror of their slaves being emancipated.

Or poo poo lol, Haiti having to pay France for having the audacity of revolting.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Aug 10, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

vyelkin posted:

"arcane rules" like forcing everyone ahead of her in the line of succession to resign at gunpoint

This is One Weird Trick.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep seeing headlines describe Belarus as an "ex-Soviet" country and I can't help but feel like that's a deliberate decision to phrase it that way just so they can get the word "Soviet" in there

At least one Dutch newspaper columnist (in the Dutch equivalent of the Guardian) said Lukashenko has run Belarus as a Soviet-style dictatorship and wrote a whole screed about how finally now Belarus, too, is throwing off the shackles of Sovietism or whatever. It is absolutely deliberate.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I never thought in a million years the oppressive apparatus of the state that I've helped perpetuate around the globe would be used against me!

How could the man who helped breed face-eating leopards have expected that the leopards would eat his face?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jerry Seinfeld (@JerrySeinfeld) is a comedian who lives with his family in New York.

New Yorkers are easily the most full of themselves assholes I've ever met.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's like New Yorkers have the regular American exceptionalism but then with another dose of New Yorkese exceptionalism on top.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I’m sure historian Diane Kunz has a better understanding of the MIC than General of the Army and Supreme Allied Commander and President Dwight Eisenhower.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

It's the paper of record. If the record is made up, so be it

All the news fit to print

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

plot twist: she's a cop

Sociopath not psychopath

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Jose posted:

lol matty quit because his coworkers hated him and his opinions

https://twitter.com/QueenInYeIIow/status/1327413325249048576?s=20

I'm Matt Yglesias and I say kill em all!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a close friend was a geology major and said oil/gas companies would frequently come to campus and take out undergrad students for hundreds of $$$s of food and drinks, gotta imagine that grabs some

Being the person to go to campuses and treat students for hundreds of $$$ of food and drinks sounds like a sweet gig. Probably only need a bullshit degree like Marketing or Communications or HR to get it, too.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

To be fair, Americans have never been afraid of being embarrased or seeming incompetent.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

It's a poo poo gig compared to going to private practices and taking out doctors for thousands of $$$ of food and drinks.

Would you rather hang out with students or doctors?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Anyone can basically make a new smallpox virus"
"Destroying the last sample of smallpox virus can't be undone"

"We will destroy our sample of the smallpox virus once all samples of the smallpox virus are destroyed."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Imagine flying the flag half staff every time a police died.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

oscarthewilde posted:

they're both idiotic and totally meaningless concepts that wouldn't exist in a just world

One of them wastes vastly more resources than the other though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

vyelkin posted:

wow 3,000 people died in china???

3,000 people?

three thousand people??

three whole thousand people, three THOUSAND people

I wonder what that's like

Now look up Vietnam.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

fuckin lol that the intelligentsia's entire thing is basically just being pedantic nerds for poo poo no one cares about and they can't even do that right

Why would it be any different? It's not like society is a meritocracy where the actual intelligent people become members of the intelligentsia or whatever you want to call the elite.

The vast majority of the people you are supposed to look up to and respect as your betters and important experts or very important serious people and whatever else are phony, dumb as gently caress fakers not fit to shoulder even the slightest bit of responsibility.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Feb 11, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The burning of the Reichstag was also boring: it was an inside job.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Tried and true "talk poo poo, get hit" protocol at work.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The national plan was to not have a national plan. Therefore there was a national plan. Beepboop I am a fact checker.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Paolomania posted:

What if argument from authority but with extra steps and gatekeepers?

The problem with Black Mirror was that it wasnt nearly stupid enough to predict the future.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dreylad posted:

and he played like 12 hours of dota 2 a day. Gamer, Poster, Wiki Reader, Spy.

Wait what?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

intellectual "property" shouldn't even exist as a concept. humanity has a collective knowledge and restricting access to it in order to make a few bucks is a terrible waste of effort.

But then why would anyone ever have an original thought or embark on a creative endeavour if there is no potential massive monetary gain for them? Don't you know that human nature is to only ever be motivated by something we made up a couple thousand years ago to smooth army logistics?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Latex Latinx.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

dont worry bro mods are gonna start banning ppl skeptical of zenz

A group of posters will be destroyed, in whole or in part.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Even if it was a full on genocide the US doesnt have a leg to stand on, the poo poo in Yemen isn't even the first genocide it's committed in the last 20 years

If you ask the average westerner if the US has ever committed a genocide there's like a 50/50 chance they answer "no, never" and "the Native Americans I guess". Like, we're total outliers knowing anything at all about the situation in Yemen, let alone the US' involvement.

Whereas most people would have some idea of the US police maybe being slightly racist sometimes including in the present day.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there anyone remaining who is not the joker

I’m Batman.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Jose posted:

Why are paid politics understanders so loving bad at their jobs?

Their job is to convince you that actually it is impossible to change anything such that your life would be improved. They're very successful.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kindest Forums User posted:

young bankers work as hard as those who work low paying full + part time jobs to make ends meet. The big difference is that they'll have a golden ticket once they reach the age of 30-40 and barely have to work through their later years.

Unfortunately they will feel like they earned it and deserve to feel superior to the rest of us.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I guess the US just can’t afford to stop killing people.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Last helicopter leaving Saigon picture when?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

yes but this is a forum of brain damaged weirdos, they are supposed to be professionals

Professional brain damaged weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wars are like police shootings, they just spontaneously happen in nature and its impossible to do something about them.