Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
A regular op ed pays $150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

"I had to stop my friend, through a series of grunts and firm-but-not-intimidating eye contact, from using a book as a napkin after she ate her half of the burrito. She put the rest in her purse and said her baby could eat it, so long as she sprinkled some goldfish crackers and chocolate milk on it."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

In snob literary circles, telling your friends that you're going to take on infinite jest is like climbing Everest: you have to set aside a chunk of your life to do it, it's miserable though not particularly hard vs. other more respectable challenges, and a lot of your friends are secretly hoping you'll die in the process.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Making fun of infinite jest isn't the same as making fun of DFW. His essays are outstanding. But whoever called his work middlebrow hit the nail on the head.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

last i heard they were firing a bunch of their actual reporters to hire more fascists for their op-ed page

They were buying out copy editors

After 2016 I'm not sure how anyone can take NYTimes seriously, and their effort to "correct" mistakes is even more embarrassing. Story for story they're great, especially on non-political domestic coverage, but overall it's another poo poo media company sucking up to whoever is in power.

Also the latest subscription gimmick with Spotify was pretty cringe worthy

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Good News!

The New York Times is looking for an opinion writer to identify, explain and advocate big ideas about health care reform, public health, science, and related issues of public policy.

We’re looking for someone who writes sharply and provocatively and is ambitious to range widely in their work. We’re also looking for a great colleague. The editorial board is a writers’ collaborative; beats can be shared, and our journalists roam across subjects and forms of commentary, from breaking news to longer-term projects, from unsigned editorials to signed pieces.

The ability to write precisely, concisely and urgently are crucial. So is a sense of humor. This position is represented by the Newspaper Guild of New York.
If you are an an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates (excluding INYT), please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View "Find Internal Jobs". Thank you!
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Someone whose opinions "range widely" is code for centrist.

It's code for "stirs enough poo poo to grow readership through shares and forwards"

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/902153868070469634

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

This can just be the David Brooks thread

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/brooks-klein-tom-prices-plane-scandal-trump-taking-aim-nfl/

David Brooks on PBS posted:

DAVID BROOKS: If Donald Trump thought he was a good secretary of defense — of health and human services, and he knew his policies, which he did — he knew the policies — and he was generally supportive, which, as far as I could see, he was, then this scandal doesn’t merit a firing/resignation.

He made Trump look bad. And Trump’s only loyalty is to himself. So, I get that. He had to go.

But, personally, I think the government should have a fleet of planes to take around Cabinet secretaries. It would just be more efficient. Any company of any size has this sort of thing. And so this scandal makes Trump look bad, but it certainly doesn’t merit firing, I would say.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

that nut graf tho

quote:

For the bazillionth time, it is known, I am pretty fat. We have covered this. And yet, contrary to popular belief, I sometimes participate in non-fat activities such as exercising, enjoying a crispy salad, not crying, wearing a pencil skirt, and not reclining under the gravy spout all day while I wait for Jerry Springer to de-fuse my giant butt from my toilet. It's true! Go ahead and verify it! E-mail my mom! I will wait.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

An edgy sense of humor

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

It must suck to be whichever illuminati delegate to the NYT that David Brooks has dirt on.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/opinion/sunday/what-if-ken-starr-was-right.html

Ross Douthat and his helipad-sized forehead posted:

What if Ken Starr Was Right?

This new narrative lines up with what’s often been my own assessment of the Clinton scandals. I have never been a Clinton hater; indeed, I’ve always been a little mystified by the scale of Republican dislike for the most centrist of recent Democratic leaders. So I’ve generally held what I’ve considered a sensible middle-ground position on his sins — that he should have stepped down when the Lewinsky affair came to light, but that the Republican effort to impeach him was a hopeless attempt to legislate against dishonor.

But a moment of reassessment is a good time to reassess things for yourself, so I spent this week reading about the lost world of the 1990s. I skimmed the Starr Report. I leafed through books by George Stephanopoulos and Joe Klein and Michael Isikoff. I dug into Troopergate and Whitewater and other first-term scandals. I reacquainted myself with Gennifer Flowers and Webb Hubbell, James Riady and Marc Rich.

After doing all this reading, I’m not sure my reasonable middle ground is actually reasonable. It may be that the conservatives of the 1990s were simply right about Clinton, that once he failed to resign he really deserved to be impeached.

Ladies and gentlemen...the ______ New York Times (fill in the blank)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

LinYutang posted:

lol I'm sure the suburbanites who voted Trump in are Desperate and Scared

trup voters were just following orders

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Fear is finite so the fewer things you have to be afraid of, the more fear you spend on those things

Also, white people have a racial trait of +10000% fear points to allocate

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

the failing new york times does it again

https://twitter.com/eswillwalker/status/946135716068601856

as a bonus, have some talk about how those worthless unemployed millennials just need to be homeless and carless so that they can learn to really pull themselves up by their bootstraps
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/946127348746899456

Well mistakes such as getting fired and failing out of college are pretty much timeless so you can't pin that on millenials being screwed as a generation.

Ironic how parents try to make up for 18 years of lovely parenting by suddenly forcing a reality-check on their kids because an online columnist told them to.

The true mistake here though was allowing Cheryl Strayed anywhere near the failing new york times. Not a good look.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

someone really needs to write a book on people like Klein

like do these guys just read mid-20th century policy books, mix it together with econ 101 and a dash of Friedmanite (both of them) garbage? I think it's a combination of that and always looking to make reality out to be more complex than it is that prevents liberals like Klein from just understanding Republicans are Bad.

Klein is trump for libs; he doesn’t understand anything he just barks in a way that idiot followers can go “whoa yeah me too “

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

God it’s Lena Dunham in columnist form