Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

You'd think if anyone could appreciate the horrors of genocide it would be the jews. Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

ikanreed posted:

It was easy to see Rodney King as an aberration, something unusual, where the individual cops were bad.

Smartphones made it clear a Rodney King event was happening all the drat time everywhere

I remember hearing adults debate this and some 'scholastic news' thing both-siding this we discussed in class way back when it happened.

And then I saw the video and was like what the gently caress these guys beat the poo poo out of that dude.

I was very confused what the debate was about and it broke my poor little brain

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Not the weapon I'd choose but you have to respect other cultures

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

huh, I always thought S. E. Cupp was a stage name meant to be read 'C Cup' but it turns Sarah Elizabeth Cupp is her actual name.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

misread

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Trump to gently caress up pulling out for 6th time

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Paul Krugman made tons of bad faith attacks on Bernie because he was angling for a cabinet post

He can go gently caress himself

I found this real quick - my hazy memory is that he revisionist historied a bunch of bullshit to defend Hillary's wall st sympathies et cetera

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2016/04/paul-krugman-crosses-the-line.html

Acelerion has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Feb 1, 2019

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Hehhyouuu Hhieouuett

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Bret Stephens: Things were goin great and then all of a sudden these drat kids could @ me on twitter

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Eventually wealthy Democrats will fund the press through donation and a perfect circle free of actual consumers will thrive

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Sure, a man was shot. But while its reasonable to say the gun was pointed at him it is also true that he himself was pointed at the gun. Furthermore

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Its high time op ed writers are forced to wear body cams. These just so stories need to come with some evidence.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I'm generally against the death penalty but then there's people that say "grok"

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It sounds like what orcs drink

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

um, hello? If you believe this argument and believe nothing, then you believe at least one thing and therefore believe in something

Drill's incompleteness theorem

Acelerion has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Jul 29, 2019

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sorry, "Black twitter ain't havin' no Bernie!"

- A White Lady

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Physically attacking a reporter: not an assault on the press
Criticizing how material interests influence a newspapers coverage: an assault on the press

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1161394950556344320?s=20

Such a stupid argument. They know where their paycheck comes from and that's all it takes.

Now tell me comcast doesn't influence MSNBCs coverage, but they probably do have rules memos.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

increasingly convinced russiagate was a loving psyop

This was the clinton campaign narrative on 11/10 and everything following that has been a conclusion in search of evidence

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

We ran facial proportionality checks on all 7 children and found this claim disappointing

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

hhheeyouuu heeouuettt

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Those deaths were from blood loss and organ trauma. The guns were only a facilitating element.

3 hansels 1 grettle

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

You should listen to the useful idiots from last week where they had TCW on. The guy uses about 10 definitions of 'cancel culture' in the interview and is just generally all over the place (plus I guess hes buddies with Bari Weiss or something?). I think this is by design. Its like an Obama speech where you can nod along with it while right wingers smuggle in their pet grievances which mostly boil down to the ol 'you should tolerate my intolerance'.

Taibbi's angle on it feels too inside-baseball-ish but Im inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I kind of see his point although I dont subscribe to it wholesale. There is one thing he is completely wrong about though and its the claim "You can attack ideas without attacking people". Im sorry but motivation is a necessary third dimension to this. Simplistically, good versus bad faith.

I have no doubt that Noam Chomsky added his name because of a well reasoned moral conviction, agree or not. Bari Weiss though? She wants to be a victim because it suits her career aspirations. JK Rowling wants to be trans-phobic on the internet without backtalk. Same idea but much different motivation and thus a very different message.

Both TCW and Taibbi start out with (and very quickly abandon) a definition of 'the problem' being going after peoples jobs i.e. Dont like what a professors says so round up a twitter mob and get the dean to take his livelihood away. I can see why thats A Bad Thing, but the people in this letter? I can no more cancel them than I can pluck the moon from the sky. The imbalance in power and influence is simply too great. Also Im struggling to see how this is materially different from a boycott.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

To be fair, they did have a very vivid shared hallucination

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1319004800445485060

take a guess what important information appears in neither the headline nor the opening paragraph

the dead guy was in the control group and didnt actually receive the experimental vaccine

This story is about the ultimate raw material for clickbait driven media

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

CheeseSpawn posted:

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1335982906284634114
:jerkbag: No mention about healthcare for millions etc while running op against the left. Corporate punditry doing what it does best.

Now get back to school/the office!

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Explosion? I believe you mean a nitrate involved exothermic reaction

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Dumbasses all they had to do was resign a few weeks early with some haughty statement about the chud insurrection and they would be resistance heros

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Obligatory

Listen to Episode 55: Jake Tapper and the Art of Faux-Adversarialism by Citations Needed Podcast on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/9rdbP

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Does she? I wonder. It’s a lot easier to sell a lie you believe

Organizations exert control in a very passive aggressive way and its for a very simple reason, it leaves no paper trail.

Anyone that has ever worked in any organization can tell you what kind of activities get you a pat on the head and what get you a boot in the rear end regardless of what the public or policy position may be.

Companies tell you bribery is not tolerated and against company policy at the same time unreasonable performance metrics and a particularly oversightless financial system are available.

Safety procedures are paramount and not following them are grounds for termination but this job has to get done in a time frame that won't allow those procedures to be followed.

You are expected to report harassment to hr and these investigations are taken very seriously but it seems odd that everyone that has done so ended up on a rif list.

The media works in a similar way through a system of positive and negative reinforcement. Most of those well credentialed tryhards earnestly believe the bullshit they espouse. They wouldent be there otherwise.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Its crazy how these people keep projecting their own anxiety and fear onto their animals

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Nice article/periodical title combo

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

My 'Joe Biden is not failing' tshirt is raising a lot of ques

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1498407414764351498

theres a futurama joke in here somewhere but i cant seem to pull it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY6RyRkl9uo

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Why do they gently caress their mattress pad?
I do not know, go ask your dad

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Dave Wiegel is just libertarian Chris Matthews and I'm glad his dumb rear end is in trouble

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I had a quantum mechanics teacher in grad school that literally gave all of us incompletes and sent us work to do for the next semester because we failed the final so hard

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Honestly looking back on it college is a lot harder than work

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Making residents work like 24 hour shifts is also associated with lots of deaths from medical errors, but lol no one cares

But on the other hand we get to haze the freshmen so who can say if its bad or not

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Cilizza always seemed like the kind of guy you could call a no talent overpaid hack right to his face and he'd just smile, agree, and tell you how much it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

NYT op-eds are a central piece of the thought-economy. Looking forward to congressional intervention.