Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Apraxin posted:

Power in America now comes from speaking woke, a highly complex and ever-evolving language. The Grace Church School in Manhattan, for example, offers a 12-page guide to “inclusive language,” which discourages people from using the word “parents” — “folks” is preferred

I made the mistake of asking students to take a permission form home to their parents once.

One of my students shrieked at me 'MY PARENTS ARE DEAD!' I had been unaware of this fact. the rest of the week was basically a total loss with that kid.

Yeah, don't say parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'd like to think there would be a clause in mercenaries' contracts about cessation of hostilities but then I'd like to think a lot of things.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But then how will general so and so supplement his pension?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I'm not projecting! You are!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

a Loving Dog posted:

I remember but cannot think of any specific examples.

nz did this with pewdiepie fan

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.uscirf.gov/about-uscirf/dr-tenzin-dorjee-former-commissioner

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mortons stork posted:

i have been crackpinged by this. beyond horrifying.

Trying to understand why someone would even do that

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That reminds me of this classic.

https://exiledonline.com/feature-new-york-times-hack-eats-horse-sperm-pie/

quote:

“The city’s homeless are not the visible presence one sees on street corners in New York or Washington. They seldom panhandle aggressively. There are no homeless squeegee men—that trade, along with furtive sales of flowers, street atlases and other frills to drivers stalled in traffic jams, is controlled by those, however poor, who still have roofs over their heads.”

The first thing to note is that Wines instinctively excludes from the start the idea that his readers might be, or have ever been, homeless themselves—the homeless in America he describes as people “one sees on street corners.” But more important is the way Wines himself observes the homelessness phenomenon. He does it from behind the windshield of that Audi of his. The homeless in his mind are people who bother him when he has the misfortune to be stuck at a traffic light. That’s what the problem of homelessness means to him. It’s a quality-of-life issue for people with Audis; the more homelessness there is, the more annoying squeegee men there. The man is simply incapable of grasping the more serious problem of what it means to actually be poor and have no place to live, because he clearly cannot conceive of himself, or anyone he knows, ever being homeless. He is genetically incapable of it, it seems.

What’s more, Wines is simply wrong. The streets of Moscow are full of homeless people. Homeless children, even. They are in the doorways of every apartment building at night and the Metro stations are full of them. Old women in particular stand at bus stops and outside stores and in Metro stations and ask for money “na khlebushku.” Wines wouldn’t know this, however, because he never takes public transportation. He hasn’t gotten out of that goddamn Audi since he came to Moscow.

This douche went on to Beijing after that.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Aw those pictures are so good they're going right on the refrigerator

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
God drat, Brazil

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
from that thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Stopped clock

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That post feels more like satire the more I think about it even though I know it almost certainly isn't.

It echoes too many just-world arguments regarding institutional discrimination too perfectly.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KomradeX posted:

Remember that article that showed rich people in the US were calling COVID a poor persons disease, fun times

No, link please.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Stuff your commencement, just send me the loving diploma you pack of vampires!

Your school requires you to attend to get your diploma?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I honestly didn't expect that Bill Gates would make a run at the nass murder world record. Gotta give him credit for the innovative approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

vyelkin posted:

Space exploration of the type done by Musk, like spending millions of dollars to launch a car into space for no goddamn reason,

He was disposing of a body