Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Nyt has made some real loving dumb choices lately

facebook is gonna kill the Grey Lady and zuck is gonna use it as a mouthpiece to bolster his 2020 run and nothing gets better, only worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Condiv posted:

how'd the nyt turn a windfall of subscribers into failing in such a short time?

the same way the dow jones is north of 22k yet the fed is already preparing for a massive correction as the market is inevitably brought down to reality. again.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
phone posting is really loving with my plan of Stop Being On The Internet On Wednesday

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

Ahh, different view points, like third way clintonism as opposed to reaganism. These are different somehow

'tis true, one of those two wastes a lot more of everybody's time.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Durf posted:

this is probably just a rehashed highlight reel of twitter jokes but lol whatever

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/11/a-nazi-cooks-pasta/546737/

in old lf t-paine would do these posts where he'd garnish copypasted newspaper articles with little bursts of horrible little fictions of his own authorship and it wasn't until like halfway through the sentence you'd realize he was Doing That Thing again and it was usually pretty funny because when he'd do it it'd turn out the most horrifying parts were just more copypaste. i mention this because

quote:

Stephanie Stevenson is followed by a normal dog, who walks into the room with a slight limp, and Stephen pets it. He leans in.

“The Jews control all the money, and the world would be better off if they were dead,” he says, petting the dog. “Who’s a good boy?”

The question is rhetorical. I ask about the wallpaper.

Some people disagree with Stevenson’s political views.

“He’s a nice enough guy,” said the local grocer, Butch Tarmac, a registered Democrat. “He buys apples and pancake mix. I also like those things. But I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on the bit about the one true race cleansing the soil and commanding what is rightfully theirs.”

“It’s totally hosed up,” said one person, whose name I didn’t catch.

they read exactly like that

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Unless this is a sick medical burn Dr. Koop

it is, lmao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
its time to talk about Vanguards

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"gone"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named ‘Padrino’ and ‘Pomodor’ and ingredients like soppressata, capocollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Child molestation is a uniquely evil crime. But

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The breathless takes about The New Model For Student Protest make me twingey and cringey because MY first protest was against the Iraq War and my second significant invovlement was Occupy, and kids let me tell you a little something about what happens when the dems decide to punch left on your particular hobby horse issue:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I think if I were a publisher, my newspaper wouldn't have an opinion section.

Way back in the day, maybe you only hear opinions from random mouthy jerkoffs and the opinion page. Nowadays, everybody's got a megaphone and they're bitching nonstop. Readers don't need your opinion page, and it only serves to piss them off. Maybe just turn the whole page into letters to the editor.

ideology and outrage are the product, not the news.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Their job is to see how few people they can employ and still technically gull others to create news-flavored text, and they are clearly good at it. The system works!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
crossposting

https://twitter.com/BrentNYT/status/980063453581926400

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
those rascally bullets getting into all one's nooks and crannies. you lose focus in this game for one second

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
leave it to new yorkers to gently caress up blanching vegetables, goddamn

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
it turns out eating Whatever is a bad idea! in the future: eat food as food, and not whatever as food. "caveat emptor" as we say at the Times,

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the mods catch his rereg rear end doing it elsewhere

hamprince went out classily enough to warrant a figleaf account, imo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
im the nute in the sectarian ethnostate sad that yet another thing has been politicized. lmao.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

trump negged the media into being fascist collaborators

we're gonna need to build the wall solely to have one big enough to put them all against it

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

unless you're like seventy years old who gives a poo poo about what Dershowitz is doing. I'm a millennial so all I know is he flew on the Lolita Express. NYT could do a police blotter daily report of whatever pedo lives closest to their offices and it would mean exactly the same thing to me

considering the OJ simpson trial was a formative experience in our lives its astonishing how little of it actually stuck with us, and how there is an entire OJ simpson subsidiary economy built on his acquittal-yet-definite-guilt including but not limited to: the entire concept of reality tv

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
our school called everyone into the assembly hall for the verdict on short notice because it only took a few hours and not, as everyone was predicting, eleven thousand years, and it wasn't until i was drat near 30 that i was like "wait, lol, thats an insanely hosed up reason to take kids out of class what the hell is wrong with everything"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
drat i'm beginning to think "millenial" is a useless phrase describing those who incidentally came of age during a rhizomatically complex period of history where poo poo just exploded everywhere

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

LinYutang posted:

she's right you know

*walks into a room and shits on the floor*

"Guys, your house smells bad"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

isn’t “treasonous traitor” redundant

their quality of their copy editing has plummeted in the last decade. there isn't a freshman english class that won't ream you for redundant word use and passive voice, and there's scarcely an article that doesn't contain one or both as an artifact of their sloppy editorial.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
NPR, too, has gotten Palpably Stupid in the last 10 years in similar ways

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

the bitcoin of weed posted:

is this another one of those where she was constantly on twitter during her twitter break

oh most definitely.

no loving way does habermann have fewer than 3 after-dark accounts managed through tweetdeck

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
nyt/wapo are FSB active measures.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
pretty sure they did the passive-voice 2step for Actual South African Apartheid too

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Office Pig posted:

took you long enough, jesus h

i strongly suspect, in absence of any facts at all, that he was running out the clock on a contract

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

i only read the hobbit and gently caress me those original LOTR movies are really good, aesthetically and dramatically. the hobbit trilogy is so bad

also i've been playing through shadow of war recently due to the new update and that game fuckin' rips so i'm eating up lord of the rings again

they're not loving with you, it literally ends with a rural insurgency which gets cut from the film in order to make room for Faramir acting like a freakin loser in Two Towers and adding a completely vestigial leg to The Longest Journey instead of the humbler but obviously nobler sibling of Boromir.

the entire time LOTR is going on, the shire has this subplot moving along, and the hobbits come back as scarred veterans are are all OH NO, WE ARE NOT HAVING THIS IN THE SHIRE gently caress THIS and its literally the scene that kickstarted the entire trope of roaming adventurers gaining power of some kind and solving problems in villages

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

democracy dies in darkness, which is why we can't stop profiling these white rear end nazi motherfuckers

if you aren't using strict content filtering then wapo's ad wall hits you with "DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS" and then fades to a blank white screen lmfao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

this person is in for a hell of a time when they learn literally anything about the colonial usa

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i have given it sixty actual seconds of thought, and cannot actually think of a single piece of factual information that corroborates a narrative of "almost entirely british" identity except maybe the cultural basis of postwar entreaties to king george to let bygones be bygones as long as the usa didn't celebrate too hard and give notions to the rest of the world. and even then that's insanely selective reading which definitely was not performed in lieu of just writing whatever bullshit.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

um excuse me SIR but take a look at the list the signers of the declaration of independence, which is the only historical document AMERICANS need

the guy who wrote it would be literally murderously angry IRL at the notion of america as a nation of british predominance lmao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

an actual dog posted:

it is insanely dangerous that they made her put a statement out like this

an actual dog posted:

she'll be fine even if she gets fired but it's such a bad thing to normalize

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i miss being so dumb i could cast judgement upon chinese citizens swallowing state media's line about anything and being generally uncurious about the boundary lines of official censorship. poo poo was pretty cool before i learned something about anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084