Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SGDQ 2017 is over! Thanks to everyone who who helped out in raising over $1,800,000 for Doctors Without Borders!

(no, I don't know why the banner is so much taller than usual either)

Nothing says summer like speedruns, right?

Indeed, it's time for Summer Games Done Quick 2017! One of GDQ's two annual speedrunning marathons for charity, featuring runners from places like Speed Demos Archive (SDA), Speedrun.com, SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos. SGDQ benefits Doctors Without Borders, so you know it's a worthy cause.

SGDQ2017 dates are July 2nd to 9th - a whole week of gamers going fast in all sorts of ways! 100% completion? We got it. Co-op runs? We got it. One-handed playing? You better believe we got it.

It turned out to be a good idea for AGDQ, so we've got two threads again. This one is meant to focus on the actual runs and the good stuff that the marathon is for, discussions you can actually follow even if you don't look in the thread for a while. If you're looking for the kind of thread where you turn around for two seconds and oh hey there's 387 new posts, try this one instead.

Important links

Schedule: Found here: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule and it will automagically adjust to your timezone.

Watch it at: The event is streamed at Twitch, but the marathon event has a specific page that you should use, which is at: https://gamesdonequick.com/ (once the marathon starts, will have stream and chat and all that fancy stuff). The Twitch page is http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick but using the main site is preferable.

If you've been using Livestreamer, it's time to switch to Streamlink. As explained by debdrup: If you want to be able to play GDQ, or any, streams in your favorite video player of choice (mpc-hc, mpv, or even vlc), you might want to look into installing Streamlink and the companion Twitch program Streamlink-Twitch-GUI (the latter of which requires a bit of easy configuration). They're rather straight-forward to setup now-a-days, but if you run into trouble, feel free to join us in the goon speedrun channel on irc, and ask - there'll most likely be someone who can help you.

Official recordings will go up eventually, once they have all been processed. To minimize people uploading monetized videos on Youtube during the marathon, GDQ staff will try to get at least temporary versions up on Youtube as soon as possible. There is also GDQVODs, a page run by goon Steve Holt! containing timestamped links to the runs in the Twitch VODs, and will be updated as the marathon progresses.

Chatting: You should know by now to stay away from Twitch chat. It will be under heavy load either way, and might turn to slow and subscribers only mode if it gets too bad. Instead, you should use IRC, where there's both a GDQ channel and a goon channel:
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #sdamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit will not work)

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
synirc Webchat

There's also a Discord channel.

Get cool stuff: TheYetee has a variety of cool shirts you can buy for $11 (or $13 for the larger sizes) during the whole event! A percentage of the profit from these shirts will be donated to the charity towards the end of the event. You can find the SGDQ 2017 shirts here, and you can get some of the shirts that were featured for previous events here. Also, Fangamer has a selection of GDQ merch you can pick up, if keychains and pins and hats and decorative NES cartridges are more your bag than shirts.

=============

SGDQ explained

All money collected during Summer Games Done Quick goes directly to Doctors Without Borders, with nothing going to anyone participating in the event. It's 100% charity. All attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses.

Games Done Quick have hosted a number of very successful marathons for a number of years, with AGDQ2014 being the first marathon to break one million dollars in donations for a single Games Done Quick event. Since the first marathon in 2010, GDQ events have raised a total of over eight million dollars for charity. The most successful marathon so far has been Awesome Games Done Quick 2017, which collected over 2.2 million dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

As the event grows each year, more work is put into improving the quality of the stream. There's always going to be some hiccups, though, because everyone working with the event is only human. Yes, that includes the runners, despite what these runs might make you believe.

=============

Get your donations in

SDA marathons up to and including half of AGDQ2013 used a donation widget known as ChipIn. ChipIn crashed and burned horribly during AGDQ2013, so resident coding superhero SMK reinvented the wheel donation system, creating a standalone system that has been used since, not only by SDA events but by other community marathons as well.

You will be able to leave a comment with your donation. During earlier marathons, all comments were read out on stream, but as more and more donations come in each year, it has become impossible to do so. Therefore, there will be a filtering system in place. In general, this is the idea:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

There is also a scrolling ticker for donation comments on the main page. No, they're not going to put that on the stream.

The donation tracker for SGDQ2017 can be found at https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/index/sgdq2017.

=============

Reasons for you to donate

One of the more popular things to drive donations are the donation incentives and the raffle prizes.

When you donate, you can have your donation go towards one of the many donation incentives that are available for different games. This involves naming characters, selecting different modes, in some cases even choosing which game will be played. All the incentives are available to view on this page of the tracker.

There's always prizes to win, and you can see a list of all of them in the tracker as well. Prizes come in two categories - regular and grand. Regular prizes you get entered into the drawing for if you make a donation of at least $5 during the specified game or game block. Grand prizes you get one chance to win per specified donated total throughout the entire event, usually up to three entries per person.

Now, what is there to win?

As always, cool things.

Samus pixel painting:

Plush version of every Pokémon players favourite glitch (might not be everybody's favourite glitch):

Autographed video game:

Estus flask, for the undead among the viewers:

GDQ music box, which looks impossibly cool:

As always, assorted perlers:

And the two grand prizes are a custom built Corsair PC ($100 total donations for one entry) and a console bundle containting a Nintendo Switch, a PlayStation 4 Pro and an Xbox One, plus a game for each ($150 total per entry). Good luck!

=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: Nobody can really conclusively answer this question. Just study the schedule! Watch what you think looks interesting. As always, there'll be some attempts at getting some recommendations into the second post as the marathon progresses.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past - it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. AGDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: The amount of comments is far, far too high for it to be even remotely possible to read them all. If you were planning on donating just to have your comment read on air, perhaps you should rethink your reasons for donating.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: SGDQ2017 takes place at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center hotel.

=============

And if there's anything you're wondering about, about the event or the organization, just ask! There are a couple of goons that are directly involved with the event to different degrees, some of which are working on site, and many more who are involved with the speedrunning community in general. So there's plenty of people who are able to answer your questions!

Let's have a good marathon together!

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommended runs so far

NieR: Automata by halfcoordinated - A solid opener with our boy halfcoordinated. Lots of fun, lots of puns.
Halo: Combat Evolved by Garish - Very good run with very good commentary. Many tricks going on basically all the time.
Strider by theguesst - Very fast paced action, execution, mashing, and going out of borders. Speedrunning in a nutshell.
E.V.O.: Search for Eden by Darkwing Duck - The best history lesson you'll ever have, featuring a guest appearance from SpikeVegeta. Or his distant ancestor.
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe by Jcool114 - Monkey Ball runs are always mind-bending, and this was no exception. 300 levels of monkey madness in a row.
Freedom Planet by Fladervy - Fantastic performance by Fladervy and great commentary from SuccinctAndPunchy, well worth checking out.
Astal by Gyre - Beautiful game with great commentary.
Clustertruck by 097Aceofspades - Not going to spoil anything about this. Just watch it. You won't regret it.
I Am Bread by Blood_Thunder - Probably the best couch at SGDQ. Just... just check it out.
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons by otdq - This run has a little bit of everything. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll appreciate the beard.
Silent Hill 2 by tekkie - Funny couch, funny commentary, hijinxs, surprise ending.
Shuriken by SuccinctAndPunchy - It's Goon Central! Blink and you miss it!
Ninja Gaiden by soothingplumtea - Time for some Soothingplumtea, but only if you love video games!
Bucky O'Hare by Garrison - On hard mode! You die in one hit. Great execution, great game.
Jackal by Toad22484 - YEAHHHH!
StarTropics by thetantalus - A good run, with tributes to English sailors. And overly long maze-like hallways
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion by Garish - "That futurama coffee sequence, but about the world's ugliest elf saving Elder Scrolls land" - Brother Entropy
Divinity: Original Sin by Shaddex and DrTChops - Crazy skips and strats. You'll never look at a chest full of barrels the same.
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven by CapnClever - 1 pixel-sized adventurers who will end winter by talking to some old dude.
The Firemen by Omnigamer - Gorgeous game with great commentary. Run on a prototype US version that was never actually released in stores.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 6, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lots of runs I'm looking forward to seeing. One of them is Hollow knight which I've been playing a lot this spring and summer, can't wait to see a speedrun too.

Also Rondo of Blood! Star Tropics! VVVVVV! Also Divinity Original Sin as co-op.. although the estimate is just 35 minutes. So shenigans ahead?

And of course SuccinctAndPunchy live with Shuriken.

Once again I'd hope the official GDQ schedule page would have the game console marked as well. It'd be nice with multiplatforms.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Man! It feels like the last one just ended and here we are again.

There are a ton of runs I'm looking forward to this year, so many that I feel like trying to list them all would just be too overwhelming.

Looking forward to adding more cool T-shirts to my collection; The Yetee uses really nice materials and they always have a few good designs.

...I really gotta go to one of these sometime.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its going to be good and cool to watch halfcoordinated

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The Fangamer merch is on point.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i am all the gently caress about https://www.fangamer.com/products/gdq-champ-pin

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

They were just giving those away last year I have like 5 of them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

They were just giving those away last year I have like 5 of them.

email me one

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

This OP is way better than the other OP.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Set up Streamlink Twitch GUI before the event starts. It's not very hard, but once you get it running, it's quite easy to use. Used it with the last GDQ without any problems.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

deathbagel posted:

This one doesn't have enough Daikatana.

Though to be fair, the runners could have made that an AMAZING run but instead they just SUCKED IT DOWN.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That's some cool stuff, added a link in the OP.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

TeaJay posted:

Set up Streamlink Twitch GUI before the event starts. It's not very hard, but once you get it running, it's quite easy to use. Used it with the last GDQ without any problems.

Same, I never bothered with livestreamer but streamlink is extremely easy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Same, I never bothered with livestreamer but streamlink is extremely easy.
Streamlink is a forked version of Livestreamer after people got fed up with the author of Livestreamer not accepting pull requests or filing issues on the github (aka. the usual opensource drama surrounding anything Linux related), so the majority of the code is completely the same. It might also be worth installing the companion program called Streamlink Twitch GUI.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

deathbagel posted:

theyre both good

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
When is Awful Block?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Croccers posted:

When is Awful Block?

Doesn't look like there is one. :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Croccers posted:

When is Awful Block?

any RPG I think

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
So many great games this year, and a lot of them show up really early for me. I'll catch most of the runs after the fact, but I look forward to catching at least some runs with you guys live. :)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Croccers posted:

When is Awful Block?
AwfulGDQ is only a thing at AGDQ, SGDQ sometimes goes for a weird/silly games block though.

There's also no TAS block, dwangoAC is taking some time off from marathons for life reasons, so there likely won't be any TASbot at AGDQ2018 either.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

eonwe posted:

any RPG I think
Banjo-Kazooie 100% run

Also bring back bonesaw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KennyMan666 posted:

AwfulGDQ is only a thing at AGDQ, SGDQ sometimes goes for a weird/silly games block though.

There's also no TAS block, dwangoAC is taking some time off from marathons for life reasons, so there likely won't be any TASbot at AGDQ2018 either.
He ok? Personal issues, not health issues, I hope?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, it's just that it's demanded a lot of time and effort from him, and stuff like that. His own post-AGDQ words on the matter.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Looking forward to this, as always. Shame that the start of the marathon is a bit weak imo, but oh well. Glad I've got Thursday and Friday off work.

Greetings from Germany

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dunban posted:

Looking forward to this, as always. Shame that the start of the marathon is a bit weak imo, but oh well. Glad I've got Thursday and Friday off work.

Greetings from Germany

Not regreting having to work tomorrow when all I would miss is Halo. I will catch Nier later through, as half-coordinated is a cool dude.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Super Metroid isn't the finale anymore. I know the race last year wasn't that great, but is that the only reason for moving it up a bit?

And Half-Coordinated in the opening slot. That's gotta be a confidence boost.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Don't forget about my site GDQVODs.com which has all the VODs from past events organized by event, platform, runner, game, etc. I'll have a page up for SGDQ 2017 soon after it starts and I'll keep it updated as the event goes on.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Holt! posted:

Don't forget about my site GDQVODs.com which has all the VODs from past events organized by event, platform, runner, game, etc. I'll have a page up for SGDQ 2017 soon after it starts and I'll keep it updated as the event goes on.

I didn't realize that was a goon run site. Thank you friend, you're doing us all a real solid there!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Steve Holt! posted:

This is a really cool site, great job dude! Gonna use this when I try to start sharing Vods now

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Awww yeah SGDQ is the best week of the year

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Are we doing two threads this time or one?

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 2, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I Greyhound posted:

Are we doing two threads this time or one?

Two. This is the serious thread, the silly meme/live reaction thread is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825429&perpage=40

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Looking forward to Stivitybobo's Banjo Kazooie run.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Steve Holt! posted:

God bless you for being the ultimate place for watching developer commentary runs, my favorite kind. I'm remembering some of my favorites from past events, like The Mask. Everyone please watch The Mask run, it's under 10 minutes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Yetee SGDQ shirts are up. I am absolutely getting Phazon Glitch.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna probably go for Windstrument fish myself.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Was going to wait with actually asking for it until the stream started, but since I see the other thread was already stickied, perhaps this one could be as well. Both were for AGDQ.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Was going to wait with actually asking for it until the stream started, but since I see the other thread was already stickied, perhaps this one could be as well. Both were for AGDQ.

Ops, please do this. Both threads have their place and we should not discriminate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The slow/fast thread combination worked well last GDQ.

Regarding VODs, the official Youtube channel had the runs up so fast I rarely needed to look at Twitch recordings. Hopefully the trend continues.

• Locked thread