Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so has SGDQ this year had any funny moments? other than the error(?) messages popping up in BOTW when the runner tried to scan the guardian amiibo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i like how everything I was even tangentially involved with wound up on the goon recommendeds

Successful first GDQ for me.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
What was the final total?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

someone awful. posted:

The Rise of the Triad run was pretty entertaining, full of bad voice acting, loud swears and hype rocket jumping. Also not super long.

Oh I didn't realize they were doing the 2013 remake. I'll have to check that one out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

What was the final total?

1.7 million

Not as amazing as AGDQ but still quite respectable

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I'm thinking about going to AGDQ or SGDQ next year, purely to spectate / visit the host city. How do the two compare? I'm leaning towards SGDQ, as I'm on the West Coast so it's a closer flight.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
A friendly reminder that people play games fast all year long! Not just during two specific weeks of the calendar year.

We ostensibly talk about it in the main speedrun thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429276

We also seriously discuss speedruns shitpost in a discord server for goons who go fast: https://discord.gg/Y2PjWMP

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

TheMadMilkman posted:

Any% was the right length for a bonus run, though.
It looks like all of the other categories are multiple hours, which would have been weird as a bonus run. I'm sure they'll do one of the other categories in future events, which will show off more of the game than "clear the tutorial, launch yourself to Hyrule Castle, beat the final boss".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Thor guy who did dark souls iii had good commentary, I liked him. Bubbles is still super salty about how his agdq run was received

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

The Thor guy who did dark souls iii had good commentary, I liked him. Bubbles is still super salty about how his agdq run was received

what

e: oh no this isn't the shitposting thread what have I done

what I meant to say is, Bubbles on the couch was great and he seemed really cool about it? I have no idea where you get "super salty" from

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He and Bubbles were joking about it together during the run even

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Which runs have SpikeV commenting?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

so has SGDQ this year had any funny moments? other than the error(?) messages popping up in BOTW when the runner tried to scan the guardian amiibo

The Panga run had a great moment about halfway through I think that I won't spoil, but they had a joke that you would expect to fall flat but was really well executed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also I don't know if this belongs in the shitposting thread, but I'll go on record as saying I really really really do not enjoy the save/load PC game speedruns. The nonstop glitching out of bounds ones are also really awful and unfun to watch.

I don't even understand the save/load nonsense in the context of the speedrun ~official rules~, but that's their deal, and that's cool - what's not cool is watching it on stream, where a huge percentage of the run is quicksave/quickload or staring into the dark abyss outside the walls.

The contrast between something like the mario speedruns and what is (seemingly) a typical PC run is astonishing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There are some runs where the save/loading is boring because it takes forever and you spend minutes at a time watching the runner save and load over and over (Half-Life 2) but others where it's quick enough or done not as often that it doesn't really interrupt the action, and I don't mind those. Like the Fallout New Vegas run from last AGDQ or the Might and Magic 6 run from this SGDQ.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

1.7 million

Not as amazing as AGDQ but still quite respectable
Historically SGDQ has trailed behind AGDQ as the younger event. It did beat AGDQ in 2016, but that was likely due to it having a Humble Bundle and AGDQ not getting one.

The final total is likely to be closer to $1.8 million, which is fantastic. The events are about equal in terms of size and draw now.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I would recommend the Super Metroid Speedrun up until a certain point it becomes a one-man show. Someone last AGDQ complained that 100% becomes boring because they become safe very quickly, so a low % run is just the ticket.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

LuiCypher posted:

I would recommend the Super Metroid Speedrun up until a certain point it becomes a one-man show. Someone last AGDQ complained that 100% becomes boring because they become safe very quickly, so a low % run is just the ticket.

Watch the whole thing anyways. The final fight has my vote for tensest moment of the week.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

LuiCypher posted:

I started the race and then took a short shower and came out and the spoiler had already happened. What actually happened there? The time listed for both the teams that dropped was the exact same. Did they really both die at the same time?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Asnorban posted:

I started the race and then took a short shower and came out and the spoiler had already happened. What actually happened there? The time listed for both the teams that dropped was the exact same. Did they really both die at the same time?

No, the timer crew wasn't on top of getting the death properly marked. It was within a handful seconds of each other, though.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Asnorban posted:

According to Super Metroid expert Patty, they both died to Botwoon.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Was the hollow knight run anything special? I have a soft spot for that game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Incoherence posted:

It looks like all of the other categories are multiple hours, which would have been weird as a bonus run. I'm sure they'll do one of the other categories in future events, which will show off more of the game than "clear the tutorial, launch yourself to Hyrule Castle, beat the final boss".

It'll probably be All Dungeons since that's the most run category (clocks at just over 2 hrs now so i'd expect to be below 2 hr by january) but there's also Master Sword RTA at about the same length or All Main Quests at 4-ish hours if they want a longer one

Plenty of competitive times with no amiibo, also

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

According to Super Metroid expert Patty, they both died to Botwoon.

I thought it was Phantoon who killed two of the runners? Botwoon is the snake in Marina that I guess nearly got the final runner.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

RedMagus posted:

Was the hollow knight run anything special? I have a soft spot for that game.

It's not particularly glitchy (other than using the pause menu to drop very quick), but it is a very well-executed run.

Asnorban posted:

Yes. They both died to Phantoon. On most of the low% routes, you don't get the Varia Suit, so his flames do double damage on top of his standard highly random behavior. He loves to end low% runs.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
what race is this you speak of zoast did a perfectly fine low % run of super metroid :v:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is from an older GDQ but this 100% Blast Corps runs may be one of the best I've ever seen. Really engaged couch/runner and they had the lead designer of the whole game on who told a lot of really funny stories and was just a great guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F47zZaZ92Cs

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Rirse posted:

I thought it was Phantoon who killed two of the runners? Botwoon is the snake in Marina that I guess nearly got the final runner.

:thejoke:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm really glad I gave the Titanfall 2 VOD a chance. It's like Vanquish meets Dishonored.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, Titanfall II was a good game. Not much in terms of game breaking glitches, but a solid FPS 3D platformer if you want to call it that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Coming in late to the thread but Final Fantasy 7's run is the first JRPG run I've ever watched from start to finish in a GDQ.

The really incredible couch commentary, the summation of the plot, and excellent execution of the game I think really highlighted why so many people (including myself) loving loved this game when it came out, and also made it a really engaging speedrun considering the genre. Definitely good background listening.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

victrix posted:

Which runs have SpikeV commenting?

Kingdom Hearts 2 FM

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Pakled posted:

Like the Fallout New Vegas run from last AGDQ

Ohh, speaking of that, that was the run I mentioned in the chat thread last week where both I and the runner was disappointed "Final Pam" won the naming bidwar.

'Oh come on, that's an old meme, you can do better than that... but thanks for your donations!', more or less. I prefer not using the same names every time, it just runs them into the ground, especially when the runner up was a David Ryder Nickname (Thick McRunfast).

And of course TheFinalPam won a naming bidwar again during SGDQ. v:geno:v

At least the thread joined in on referring to Calebhart only with David Ryder names during that Megaman race. :dance:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Ohh, speaking of that, that was the run I mentioned in the chat thread last week where both I and the runner was disappointed "Final Pam" won the naming bidwar.

'Oh come on, that's an old meme, you can do better than that... but thanks for your donations!', more or less. I prefer not using the same names every time, it just runs them into the ground, especially when the runner up was a David Ryder Nickname (Thick McRunfast).

And of course TheFinalPam won a naming bidwar again during SGDQ. v:geno:v

At least the thread joined in on referring to Calebhart only with David Ryder names during that Megaman race. :dance:

Roll Fizzlebeef

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the future, we shall refer to meme lifespans in days...then mere hours...until they will be old, before they are even created...

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

RyokoTK posted:

Coming in late to the thread but Final Fantasy 7's run is the first JRPG run I've ever watched from start to finish in a GDQ.

The really incredible couch commentary, the summation of the plot, and excellent execution of the game I think really highlighted why so many people (including myself) loving loved this game when it came out, and also made it a really engaging speedrun considering the genre. Definitely good background listening.

The runner of that game (ajneb174 aka ben) is a really, really awesome dude who I know through the lttp rando community. As was mentioned in the run a couple of times, he won the last lttp rando tournament (which is a great watch for anyone even remotely interested) and his execution and, at least to me, especially his menuing in literally any game he plays is a joy to watch.

Everyone was convinced Ben is actually just a robot until he showed up at his first speedrunning event. And even then, people still have doubts that he's not just an android made for playing games fast.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ilmucche posted:

ThorW seems like a really cool guy that I'd like to sit on a couch and play some co-op games with, but having seen some runs of Dark Souls 3 by Distortion, watching ThorW's run gave me the same feeling as when I see old-timey videos from the 1920s of Olympic runners coming to a full stop before jumping over a hurdle.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Agreed. I have about an hour left of this run to watch. It's nice getting to relive FF7's story without actually having to play it for 40+ hours.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This just went up 28 seconds ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IL-cQVOaYc&hd=1

speedrunning postin' vids :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

abraxas posted:

The runner of that game (ajneb174 aka ben) is a really, really awesome dude who I know through the lttp rando community. As was mentioned in the run a couple of times, he won the last lttp rando tournament (which is a great watch for anyone even remotely interested) and his execution and, at least to me, especially his menuing in literally any game he plays is a joy to watch.

Everyone was convinced Ben is actually just a robot until he showed up at his first speedrunning event. And even then, people still have doubts that he's not just an android made for playing games fast.

Dude was superhuman. I had to remind myself a few times over the past couple days that he was stepcounting for seven and a half hours straight. Those Cosmo Canyon skips, I mean jesus christ

• Locked thread