Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iPodschun posted:

Sinister and Golden were commentating that. It's something they had worked on beforehand which really helped it shine. It was also nice because the race had a great finish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfV8IhsHq0

Yeah, it was amazing and really, bring those two back for future runs to commentate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Golden Goat posted:

So would you prefer the screening process to lean heavily more towards glitchless runs?
i literally said this would address my concern in another post but added that i did not think it would be feasible because the content creators get very oversensitive

Ventana posted:

Because nothing in that paragraph really justifies insulting others by calling them dumbasses? I'm not the one losing chill and insulting people. That's you. If you disagree with their stances then point it out, but at least try to be civil. They could be acting stubborn and stupid, but watchability concerns aren't exactly an easy topic to bring up.
and that context is something you seem to be dead set against ignoring, relax my dude

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

yeah this more or less and frankly Coolguye I think you're being kind of ridiculous over one run that you didn't find entertaining. It doesn't really speak to anything to do with the speedrunning community at all and positioning there is kinda mad.
my guy perhaps you also did not get this but the problem was and is bigger than just hl2

digirat had another one that was within a few runs of hl2 that was also ruined by this horseshit

it is not an uncommon problem, nor is it a new one, these complaints show up literally every gdq thread lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I heard the anecdote right Spikevegeta will sit in on practice runs of folks he's gonna be couching for, to get a feel for good questions to ask and the slow parts of the run and general flow of the whole thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bruceski posted:

If I heard the anecdote right Spikevegeta will sit in on practice runs of folks he's gonna be couching for, to get a feel for good questions to ask and the slow parts of the run and general flow of the whole thing.

That's doing it right. Spike is always awesome, even if you throw him at a game he doesn't know.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, here's a criticism that I have.

Filling setup time between runs with interviews is a great idea, better than crowd cam. However, what should be done, if you ask me, is if you're going to do a race on console, do a PC game prior and try to get what setup you can done while that run is going (and vice versa obviously).

Naturally, if this is already the case, then never mind! :shobon:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I assume setup would be super distracting to the current runner.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i literally said this would address my concern in another post but added that i did not think it would be feasible because the content creators get very oversensitive
Surely they'd be just as sensitive if they screened it and went "this is boring" to them.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Maybe UA can enlighten us a bit, what actually goes into "setup time" I assume most of it is used herding nerds around while someone tries desperately to balance audio between system and game swaps with some unpaid interns swapping out tvs in the background. Sometimes an intern gets crushed by a CRT and the others must mop it up before the run starts. Like if they could have streamlined it before now I'd think they would have.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fat and Useless posted:

Maybe UA can enlighten us a bit, what actually goes into "setup time" I assume most of it is used herding nerds around while someone tries desperately to balance audio between system and game swaps with some unpaid interns swapping out tvs in the background. Sometimes an intern gets crushed by a CRT and the others must mop it up before the run starts. Like if they could have streamlined it before now I'd think they would have.

Somewhere in there the opening scene from Jurassic Park occurs with a tech guy getting pulled into the nest of cables. Everyone just continues on with the setup because what else can you do?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think the Super Metroid race still owns, they just need to continually mix it up and not run 100%. The one run a few years back where the guy did all the bosses in reverse order (without even getting the varia suit) was clutch.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Fat and Useless posted:

Also sometimes things just don't work. I feel like UA has come in and been like "Things aren't working now despite nothing changing except for the cart that was inserted."

Also PJ is there so things are going to break

Feldegast42 posted:

I think the Super Metroid race still owns, they just need to continually mix it up and not run 100%. The one run a few years back where the guy did all the bosses in reverse order (without even getting the varia suit) was clutch.
I love watching RBO but it's a rough run. Straeveras had multiple carts worth of backup saves for the different times he could fail during his run.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

iospace posted:

Alright, here's a criticism that I have.

Filling setup time between runs with interviews is a great idea, better than crowd cam. However, what should be done, if you ask me, is if you're going to do a race on console, do a PC game prior and try to get what setup you can done while that run is going (and vice versa obviously).

Naturally, if this is already the case, then never mind! :shobon:

When this sort of thing has been proposed it pretty much turns out that they would have to obtain duplicates of a lot of the equipment involved which would be cost prohibitive right now.

EDIT: Save/Kill is too much a part of GDQ now I seriously doubt it (and thus SM) is going anywhere.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

iospace posted:

The first year I watched a GDQ (I think AGDQ 2014?) the Super Metroid couch was amazing.

That's part of what makes the races awesome, "How many will die?" SGDQ '16 was awesome solely on the fact that the guy in fourth place managed to win in the end because everyone else binned it. 100% however, completely removes the chance of death so it just becomes a "Who can execute all the tricks perfectly" battle, which is cool, but removes a lot of the tension.

I have to totally agree with a lot of the points said here. As for getting sick of SM, I don't know that I ever will, as it was a game that I remember from a influential time in my childhood that will likely forever ingrain it in me.

If it's not a race, it's definitely much less appealing, and the thrill of who will die and what will be left of them is a big draw to me.

The 100% run last year was definitely tragic in the run itself. A interesting idea that ultimately lost the pizazz that is SM speed running. The rear end in a top hat that doesn't have any tact didn't help it at all, but I am not going to let that sour my memories of the game.

It's a run that I've looked forward to watching every single GDQ and have donated for. I actually bought the coin during AGDQ when they debuted it as well.

As for the separate 'glitchless' discussion, I have to agree that a glitch exhibition isn't a speed run to me. When you're simply saving/loading like that it's not a fun run to watch, but there are definitely PLENTY of glitches that are used that are interesting to see executed. Wind Waker is still a great run to watch, even though they use several glitches to get through it quickly.

With that said though, I mostly gravitate towards runs like the Megaman X series, which generally are more about 'simple' execution than glitch reliance.

Lastly, I have actually enjoyed SpikeVegeta's commentary most of all the people that have been commentating as a fly on the wall. First time I saw him commentate was the Wind Waker run from AGDQ 2017, and watching I am Bread with him commenting was one of my favorite runs this year. He isn't giving insight into how games work or anything, but he has good banter with the runners and is decently quick witted.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet you blame not liking something on the fanbase, too.

What does this even mean

I saw a super metroid race at GDQ and I saw a terrible idiot tell the audience to kill themselves at the same time. Those two things are now mentally associated in my mind, because that's how brains work. It's not the fault of the game or the way it's run but it's going to take some time before I'm going to see a super metroid race and not remember that event whether I want to or not, which makes it harder to enjoy, so I don't mind super metroid not being placed front and center anymore.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

To go back a bit to talk about good commentating, the Ninja Gaiden relay in AGDQ 2015 was probably the most entertaining thing I have ever seen. Sinister was one of the hosts (I'm not sure who the other was, maybe Golden?) and they killed it with amazing commentary over a brilliant race.

GDQ has some genuine hosting talent and they need to leverage those people with good host voices (Sinister, Golden, Blechy, Edo, Punchy, Big Jon, PJ, Puwexil, Spike Vegeta, and more I'm not remembering) to commentate on the main events. Even better, in that list is a good combo of color/PBP and you could make some great presentation teams.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Digirat posted:

What does this even mean

I have this issue with Undertale, and I know it's not entirely rational.

The run last GDQ was brilliant, though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Anyone know some good runs that Spike Vegeta has commentated on previously? The only two runs I know of are runs that I randomly caught which I just listed, Wind Waker 2017 ADGQ, and I am Bread SGDQ 2017.

I can't search the schedule by commentators, and this is the first time I've really been curious. Seems like a metric that would be useful with the suggestions that I've seen in this thread.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Anyone know some good runs that Spike Vegeta has commentated on previously? The only two runs I know of are runs that I randomly caught which I just listed, Wind Waker 2017 ADGQ, and I am Bread SGDQ 2017.

I can't search the schedule by commentators, and this is the first time I've really been curious. Seems like a metric that would be useful with the suggestions that I've seen in this thread.

If you want a huge dose of SpikeVegeta, here's a RPG Limit Break 2016 run of Chrono Cross where he plays and commentates along with EvilAsh25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hnoU504HGo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol every time the runner tries to talk during freedom planet he gets interrupted, S&P definitely talks too much, the chat recording is going nuts over it too

Very impressive run so far though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Are the runs not being uploaded to youtube for this? I just looked up the GDQ channel and they don't have anything yet, wheras in the past stuff would be going up within a few hours of the run ending.

I am asking this again in hopes that someone knows because I want to add them to my watch later playlist so they can sit there forever taunting me.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I am asking this again in hopes that someone knows because I want to add them to my watch later playlist so they can sit there forever taunting me.

I don't think anyone is speed-publishing to YouTube since twitch keeps vods anyway. They will probably process and post them after the event, I imagine.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, I think this year's AGDQ was unusual for having a short turnaround on Youtube uploads? Usually there isn't enough spare time for anyone to do that during the event.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

The Vod thread on reddit is pretty good and should cover you for now: https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/6kruja/sgdq_vod_thread_2017/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Or

http://gdqvods.com/event/sgdq-2017/

I have a memory of seeing GDQ tweeting about Youtube uploads but I don't remember what they said about it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I don't know everything he's done, but he's a regular for Kingdom hearts runs. I know he did a run back for an RPGLB but I don't remember if he's done any more for marathons. I can't really say if they'd all be to your liking but in general they had good commentary. There's a good chance he'll be on the couch for the KH2 run on Friday.

He's also been on FF9 runs but those are long if you're not into rpgs.

edit: reformatted

Ventana fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 5, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's my updated list of recommendations based on runs I've seen.

- NieR with Halfcoordinated - solid opener, HC just had so much fun and the PUNS, the PUNS
- Strider HD - very fast paced action, execution, mashing, OOB - that's what a speedrun is about
- E.V.O. Search for Eden - a history lesson with Darkwing Duck featuring kung-fu Dino-People and a caveman SpikeVegeta
- Freedom Planet - Solid performance from Fladervy and top-notch commentary from Punchy
- Astal - beautiful game with great commentary from Gyre
- Clustertruck - nonstop truck action with Twitch chat & dev trolling
- Silent Hill 2 - funny couch, funny commentary, hijinxs, surprise ending
- Shuriken - it's Goon Central! blink and you miss it!
- Ninja Gaiden (SMS) - Time for some Soothingplumtea, but only if you love video games!
- Bucky O'Hare - HARD MODE. You die in one hit. Great execution, great game.
- StarTropics - Again, I love this game, might be biased, but it was a good run, with tributes to english sailors and overly long maze-like hallways

Runs I haven't personally seen (yet) but others have deemed good:

- Halo - Combat evolved
- Jackal
- Mega Man X (buster only!)
- Mega Man X2 race

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 6, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JerikTelorian posted:

The Vod thread on reddit is pretty good and should cover you for now: https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/6kruja/sgdq_vod_thread_2017/

Yeah but they don't have a watch later queue :(

Oh well, it'll have to do.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Here's my updated list of recommendations based on runs I've seen. (plenty of runs I've missed others have deemed good.)

- NieR with Halfcoordinated - solid opener, HC just had so much fun and the PUNS, the PUNS
- Strider HD - very fast paced action, execution, mashing, OOB - that's what a speedrun is about
- E.V.O. Search for Eden - a history lesson with Darkwing Duck featuring kung-fu Dino-People and a caveman SpikeVegeta
- Freedom Planet - Solid performance from Fladervy and top-notch commentary from Punchy
- Astal - beautiful game with great commentary from Gyre
- Clustertruck - nonstop truck action with Twitch chat & dev trolling
- Silent Hill 2 - funny couch, funny commentary, hijinxs, surprise ending
- Shuriken - it's Goon Central! blink and you miss it!
- Ninja Gaiden (SMS) - Time for some Soothingplumtea, but only if you love video games!
- Bucky O'Hare - HARD MODE. You die in one hit. Great execution, great game.
- StarTropics - Again, I love this game, might be biased, but it was a good run, with tributes to english sailors and overly long maze-like hallways

Please add Jackal to this list:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't catch it fully live, but I'll VOD it later. This is just my own favourites, feel free to post your own (especially the US side) and describe runs you liked with a few words!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Put halo on that list friendo, it's a good run and with good commentary

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
ooof

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

TeaJay posted:

I have a memory of seeing GDQ tweeting about Youtube uploads but I don't remember what they said about it.
I found this on a quick look:
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/882639093993160705

UA was uploading during AGDQ but maybe the connection isn't as good at the SGDQ hotel or there are so many tech problems that he's drinking out of his vodka bottle(s) instead of uploading. Love you UA!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bruceski posted:

I mean poo poo, I do that. Fladervy and I practiced that poo poo. I've been doing it for Studio for his upcoming Bleed 2, I chatted with tekkie a bit about what we wanted to do at the very least. I sat in for someone I didn't even couch for to help him workshop his commentary because I was kinda interested in the game anyway.

Do people not do that? It's not like good commentary flows off the cuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I mean poo poo, I do that. Fladervy and I practiced that poo poo. I've been doing it for Studio for his upcoming Bleed 2, I chatted with tekkie a bit about what we wanted to do at the very least. I sat in for someone I didn't even couch for to help him workshop his commentary because I was kinda interested in the game anyway.

Do people not do that? It's not like good commentary flows off the cuff.

I don't know, I just heard it about him and I know he's a consistently good couchguy. Didn't mean to imply that others don't, just an example.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bruceski posted:

I don't know, I just heard it about him and I know he's a consistently good couchguy. Didn't mean to imply that others don't, just an example.

I mean it sounds like the thing he'd do, because it's just good technique.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Does Grand PooBear do any commentary? Seems like a natural fit with him being a professional announcer before he started streaming and all.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TeaJay posted:

If you want a huge dose of SpikeVegeta, here's a RPG Limit Break 2016 run of Chrono Cross where he plays and commentates along with EvilAsh25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hnoU504HGo

Thanks! Also thanks to Ventura for the suggestions too. I'll make sure to catch Kingdom Hearts as well.

Can we get recommendations updated in the OP for goon recommended runs? I'll miss a lot this week and having them as a playlist after helps a lot.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Soooooo bummed there's no TASbot. I know that dwangoAC is burned out and such but I'm sad no one really stepped up to do some sort of TASblock deal this year.

Sorry for the late ask on this, but what happened? I'm not super-super-into the speedrunning community but I too was disappointed to hear that TASbot wouldn't be making a return this GDQ. I still show the Brain Age run to people who come to visit because it's just. that. good.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Mingus Dew posted:

Sorry for the late ask on this, but what happened? I'm not super-super-into the speedrunning community but I too was disappointed to hear that TASbot wouldn't be making a return this GDQ. I still show the Brain Age run to people who come to visit because it's just. that. good.

Yeah, for me this one is where they wrote Mario Maker into a Mario All Stars cart over the SNES controller at 3.8kb/s. That still blows my loving mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mingus Dew posted:

I heard he burned out. It's also a massive catch-22 for the TAS community. If they show off tricks like re-writing a game, they get called out for not showing off what TASes originally were. If they show off a traditional speed run, the more casual viewers who may have turned in for a potential re-write get disappointed.

• Locked thread