Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Short version is he felt like he was ignoring his family for TAS stuff. The long version is http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=447398#447398

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Moatman posted:

Short version is he felt like he was ignoring his family for TAS stuff. The long version is http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=447398#447398

Also he put a lot of time, money and sweat equity into it and gets shat on by the TAS community on the regular.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Moatman posted:

He's seems like a really good dude, and this sounds like a healthy thing for him to have done. I'm sure TASbot will be back.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Apparently the schedule is getting so far behind that runs are being cancelled:
https://twitter.com/AzoraeSpeedruns/status/882576304369000448

Twitter post about the Portal 2 Co-Op solo run is out.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Apparently the schedule is getting so far behind that runs are being cancelled:
https://twitter.com/AzoraeSpeedruns/status/882576304369000448

Twitter post about the Portal 2 Co-Op solo run is out.

TBCF these runs are on the schedule as "SETUP TIME" and specifically designated as such for this exact purpose.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SoftNum posted:

TBCF these runs are on the schedule as "SETUP TIME" and specifically designated as such for this exact purpose.

It's still less runs regardless :(

I don't recall previous years events getting this delayed?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What caused them to get so far behind schedule anyway? It's crazy that the Tetris Grandmaster and Zelda runs are currently scheduled for the middle of the night.

Also, was there anything in Setup Block 2? Usually they rename those blocks if they did an incentive or something in them.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

SoftNum posted:

Also he put a lot of time, money and sweat equity into it and gets shat on by the TAS community on the regular.

Poor guy. He works magic on those games. I hope things go well for him in the future, regardless.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

S&P posted this in the other thread:

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The survival horror game block all had insane setup times for the following reasons:

- Silent Hill 2 and RE1 are ran on dodgy PC ports that are complete assfarts to run on modern machines. Tekkie didn't set his poo poo up on both computers as instructed so had to install on the other computer which worked for the game inexplicably. The RE1 guy couldn't get it to work on the PCs provided and didn't flag up the viable backup alternative to the tech team in a timely fashion (read: before the marathon, read the goddamn email).

if it seems like i'm being harsh it's because I literally asked both of them aboutb how they planned on doing this because I know those ports are wonky fuckers.

- The RE:CVX runner used a japanese 360 which had the wrong audio settings and nobody could read Japanese to fix it in the menu.

I think that's like 60-80 minutes of the delay right there (silent hill had 50 minute setup)

MMX was a incentive / setup block. IDK if it was 1 or 2 though.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
There is no short answer about the youtube videos, but it's a combination of the network, not getting the settings quite right, and other fires having to be put out. We should be able to get at least some of them up soon, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

UraniumAnchor posted:

There is no short answer about the youtube videos, but it's a combination of the network, not getting the settings quite right, and other fires having to be put out. We should be able to get at least some of them up soon, though.

Thanks for the update though!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SoftNum posted:

S&P posted this in the other thread:

I think that's like 60-80 minutes of the delay right there (silent hill had 50 minute setup)

MMX was a incentive / setup block. IDK if it was 1 or 2 though.

MMX Buster Only was an incentive for the latest block.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a little late to the party, but SpikeVegeta also has a long history of running/commentating on DKC games. He commentated the Tropical Freeze race which kicked off AGDQ 2017, and he's definitely done a few other races as well (I think some relays?)

Those make for great speed games and even better race games, and Spike's commentary elevates it even higher.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Unbelievable, I am truly too stupid to live. I donated $100 to get my friend's name as a character in the M&M6 run but managed to do it for Divinity instead, where it has no chance. :negative:

I tried again because I have more money than sense and I'm pretty sure I forgot to put in an amount and thus didn't put that one towards anything. :commissar:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

At least it's for a good cause.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
lmao and it got read too. My shame is complete.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

TeaJay posted:

list w/ gdqvods site

Thanks for these! Watching E.V.O. instead of Twilight Princess... interesting run or boring run, hm?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Anyone know some good runs that Spike Vegeta has commentated on previously? The only two runs I know of are runs that I randomly caught which I just listed, Wind Waker 2017 ADGQ, and I am Bread SGDQ 2017.

I can't search the schedule by commentators, and this is the first time I've really been curious. Seems like a metric that would be useful with the suggestions that I've seen in this thread.

Spike's best commentary is seen during Sega Bass Fishing at AGDQ 2017. The best part is that he doesn't even have a mic.

He's apparently really passionate about theater, and I think his experience there is part of what makes him so good on the couch. He's pretty great at knowing when to talk and when to let the game speak for itself, and when to be witty vs when to be serious.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So how were those Mega Man runs?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Great! The X1 Buster-Only was impressive and the X2 race was drat close.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cool! This years' line-up has been pretty solid, and I've had less time, so I haven't been able to catch up on VODs much yet. But that's the fun of a GDQ when the actual live portion is done, you have stuff to watch for a while still.

I'll add those runs others have recommended on my post too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

THE RPG THURSDAY MORNING BLOCK

honestly, everything I've seen this morning has been excellent.

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - "that futurama coffee sequence but about the world's ugliest elf saving elder scrolls land" - Brother Entropy
- Divinity : Original sin (co-op) - crazy skips and strats. You'll never look at a chest full of barrels the same
- Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven - 1 pixel-sized adventurers who will end winter by talking to some old dude (they break the gently caress out of this game, one of the highlights of the event for me)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 6, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kero Blaster! :getin:

This has been a pretty chill run. I forgot that Pixel made a new game. Good music.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

TeaJay posted:

- Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven - 1 pixel-sized adventurers who will end winter by talking to some old dude (they break the gently caress out of this game, one of the highlights of the event for me)

I've played way too much of that game so this was great. Someone mentioned the "expensive" actors used for all the portraits in MM6, but it's all just touched-up photos of devs and their friends in ren faire getups. NWC operated on pretty meagre budgets until they unfortunately killed their company with MM9.

Also, it's a pity no one in the party got debuffed with insanity, because the insane portraits in MM6 are amazing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Studio's Bleed 2 run so far has been intense as gently caress.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Please add "The Firefighters" to the list. The game is gorgeous, had great commentary, and Omni was playing a prototype US release that never made it to stores. It's super good.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

A first list of recommendations has finally been compiled and added to the second post. Lemme know if there's any more runs you think should go on there.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Because I'm biased about it Bowie's Onimusha run.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Infected posted:

Because I'm biased about it Bowie's Onimusha run.

Second this. It was real good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It was two hours or so but I suggest the Donkey Kong 64 run. It had a fun couch, show a lot of stuff off, and was funny as well.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Ratchet and clank needs to be on the list too

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I have a attachment to the Megaman X block, but seriously the Megaman X2 race was close as poo poo and was really intense.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Prince of Persia run was great. Good runner with a great voice and personality, fun tricks, good times all around.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And the game didn't take a giant dump all over his estimate this time :unsmith:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Might and Magic is so loving good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Obvious, but PJ's Bionic Commando run is worth watching, because PJ

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It seems like a very unsafe run, but not in the bad way.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Maybe I am biased towards the series, but I would definitely add the Mega Man X1 buster only and X2 race to the list of recommendations.

Buster only is drat impressive. ColonelFatso really obliterates the game and the run is quite different than the normal categories. Solid informative commentary.

The X2 race was so freakin' close. Wasn't it less then a minute between first and fourth? Commentary was on point as well for this one, audience giving hype for every runners progress.

Others: Oblivion was hilarious as expected, BubblesDelFuego killed it on the glitch/exploit information. Non-OOB is much more interesting then with it.

D:OS and MM6 were great and hilarious.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do any runners just go by their own name? I feel like if I were a runner my screen name would just be my real name. I'm on camera anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PJ does I believe.

• Locked thread