Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'll do it, Deadbeat if you aren't doing the Magic I will but otherwise I'll take, uh, the...team before DC's team I guess

No pms i lost them due to enthnocentric persecution but my gmail address is available and it's g.dearien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

Me too. I'm gonna take this draft as an opportunity to NOT draft Timofey Mozgov

And that is why you'll fail. His reemergence as the Collossus of Brooklyn, backed by a Russian cyborgs staring down players who try to guard him while opening and closing garden shears is incoming

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

pretty Ricky gonna go for more than the Servant; I know cause I'm getting them both 👺

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BWV posted:

Also, while we're on the rules, what's going to happen with Durant? Will the GM with the winning bid be getting 15% of it back?

argh my strategy has been publicized! you snake!

I won't have time to submit until ~6ish so sorry if i hold everyone up but I WILL be doing it i'm not flaking. Just trying to get a new job and gotta make some phone calls. Anyone with a good job available can just hire me and speed the game up think about it it's a good deal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sorry man and womans I was busy during the day then lost power and didn't have time to do it on my phone! I'm stupid and lazy! Fortunately there were only two people today I wanted even a little bit so it's not the biggest loss...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I am eager to see what happens with no max salary. Several people already talking in terms of % of the cap, so who really believes a top 5 guy is worth 75% of the cap? 50%? And who are the John Walls of SASleague?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

leftist heap posted:

Is someone just gonna spend 286 on lebron or KD. I think I would consider it.

It raises the old hypothetical, would Lebron and 14 replacement level, d league type guys beat a team of mediocre players, like basically the Hornets last year or something, in a 7 game series? And that's what we'll be faced with, cause there are at most 10 or so legit superstars so most teams won't have one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Did you watch the 2015 NBA finals?

That might be as close as you can get, and Lebron managed two coin toss wins. If Lebron costs 250, can you even afford Tristan Thompson? Rubio cost, what, 45...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I bet most people did some math and have a clear idea of what a team "should" look like, two stars and scrubs or a deep rotation of playable guys or whatever, but no plan survives contact with the enemy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Price discovery is important and you can use your own brain pan to decide whether the market is over or under valuing certain things

Yeah but moreyballing may not work in a one year game the way it does when you have a decade+ to execute with total job security. We have only one chance to identify inefficiencies exploit them and avoid ridicule. It's hard!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HAHahaha omg I am definitely getting no one at these rates holy crapola

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I almost got Williams but I'm very glad I didn't put 33 down on Jah Love

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

straight up brolic posted:

I have a spreadsheet I'm doing with the amounts converted to % of the NBA cap that I'll post eventually

Same but you go ahead instead I'm lazier

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

so far 3 players have gone for 85+: Myles Turner 87, Blake Griffin 90, Klay Thompson 91. Blake is the best of the bunch by a considerably amount but is hurt a lot.

Day to day, it's Blake. This season it's likely to be Klay. If we do the three year retrospective it'll be Turner IMO. I think I bid 60 on Klay but I aaaalmost bid 75. I think he's a good #2 in this format I'm just not sure what that's worth

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ah I didn't realize (or forgot) there was a roster limit to make waiving meaningful.

I bet 14 on Wright and think 15 is a good price for him. I think he could sustain his WS/48 at ~20 minutes. If Enes Kanter can...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gwarsh I watched inadequate Memphis the last couple years apparently I didn't realize. He was stuck behind Marc and ZBo when he could play anyway but heck, maybe I lucked out

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

People are paying more for people not in the NBA

My excuse is I have food poisoning and typed my bids next to the toilet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Legit excited to see what 3 actual top 15 players go for. Next year there's a good chance all 3 are top 10 in winshares

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That seems like a like a lot of cheddar for Bacon but I paid a dollar less for a guy I may have confused with someone else so what do I know

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Y'all are VERY confident in your projections of rookies

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

there are two very divergent pricing groups in this market and they correspond pretty closely to two team building philosophies (in likely result not sure if the posters are planning it that way or not)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

More than I bid obviously but I fully believe in a no max individual salary (or almost no max) a genuine star is worth most of your cap. Jokic was a beast last year, and his stats don't even reflect how good he was cause of the roster fuckery early on with Nurkic. And his going into his third year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm still torn on som of those star rates. Can you assemble a current Spurs esque roster with the leftovers after dropping 175+ on Kawhi? If not - and I'm thinking not - how close do you have to get to beat a team that looks like, say, the Wizards or Grizzlies? If I knew the answer I would write it on a sheet of paper and put it in the mouth of my drafting golem, where you jerks could not read it and steal my strats and also the golem could make a good team for me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think the gap here is that we have never seen a league made of no max designed teams. If it was combined with sufficient player mobility and contract flexibility, stars would be spread more or less evenly - which actually increases their value. A team of role players who do nothing but defend, roll, and set screens with Curry bombing at 2016 levels is a team driven by Curry even if he's a "system player" in that he needs it. Is it better than the team of Lebron plus shooters, or Harden plus a defense, or Gobert and shooters, or whatever? We don't know. Personally I suspect it all of those are better than a team with no star and a better median player

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

G-Hawk posted:

Capela's defense has gotten significantly better the last 2 years, and he doesn't have nearly as much foul trouble. He can play defense, finish around the rim, and is a decent rebounder. Hes not ever gonna be a feature player on offense but he is really solid. I wouldn't pay 57 for him but hes a really solid starting center now and will likely be closer to 30mpg next season. DeAndre is probably a good comparison of what Capela should look like the next few years.

That's a very high expectation. I like Capela and his skillset, but getting DJ production, much less Chandler in Dallas production, would be an absolute dream scenario. If Capela were magically transformed into 2011 Chandler tomorrow they'd be a legitimate threat to GS.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Dj has a 7'6" wingspan
Capela 7'4"
Chandler 7'3"

His length is not an issue

I agree it isn't but I'm skeptical of that Chandler measurement, which was taken when he was 18. He doesn't look like a near Vitruvian Man proportional human to me. Either way, Capela has a long way to go before he can be the best player on a top defense. So far he hasn't even been the best player on a pretty good one.

Edit: Isaiah Thomas is probably the most difficult to value player we've seen so far

Also I remembered why, through the haze of crippling food poisoning, I drafted Walter "Edy" Tavares - he was really good in the d league the last couple of years and I saw a couple of his games. He's a legit bench big someone will pick him up

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 9, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

How many are worth it though, when all is said and done?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

As vast majority of them. Rookie scale is $2m a year by the end of the lottery. The bar for you to jump over on your rookie deal is replacement level

I'm not so sure. I feel like this leans hard into the learned environment of the current NBA, where star talent is concentrated and middle quality players are artificially expensive. The value of the rookie contract is it's cheaper than the major vet slots. If you were choosing between a rookie and a known quantity vet at the same price the risk on the rookie is way, way higher.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Aldrich is a decent backup when healthy but drat

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Some of y'all form your opinions on guys based on 5 year 2k sims where they become 80s i can feel it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

says the guy who hates Mudiays

Oh lord, thank you

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

xbilkis posted:

Advanced stats superstar!

He's not though his advanced numbers are just ok. I like him a lot but gently caress

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

I hope Booker gets less than $70

Middleton's better than booker right now. Only thing Booker does better his create his own shot, but he does that at a low enough efficiency that you are guaranteed to suck if you let him do it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gently caress off. How did Kyrie go for more.

gently caress me. I should have dropped my low bids and just went in on Thomas, Kyrie plays no defense and went for more, curry barely plays any and will go for twice as much. That's a great deal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think he's good. Hard to make good offers for supporting players and also be legit on stars without going over your cap, how y'all doing it??

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I know I'm gonna be nonplussed by Lillard's value relative to Irving and Thomas but I'm not sure in what way yet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hot drat I"m real happy with Lillard for that, less than Kyrie for a more flexible and roughly the same quality player. Not as great a deal as IT but heck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Kyrie was 100 though

I was thinking he was 110 but eh, either way.

Doltos posted:

I'd rather have C.J. on my team than Lillard and he went for 25% less

No defense at the 2 actually matters and McCollum wasn't anywhere near as good last year or any other year. He's a good scorer but he doesn't do anything else yet and he doesn't go to the line which is gonna be a problem in the playoffs. CJ is a better shooter (probably - Lillard creates a lot of his shots and usually draws a better defender) but Lillard can make every pass and run any offense, and he's got that Joe Johnson gene.

Contract year Otto doubles his winshares and y'all are like yep sustainable for sure, smh

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

CJ's 3 point shooting is much nicer, Ahhh [italian hand kiss into ok sign]

75% assisted explains the difference in the details leftist posted. CJ's defense is a bigger issue and I'm not convinced that a decent stretch of games during an injury is evidence that he's secretly a point guard. He's a great shooter and pretty solid on offense all around, but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. He took a huge jump in ft% this year, which is both rare and flukey, and still put up an overall weaker season than Lillard.

• Locked thread