Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, I want a RWD cruiser, a house on wheels isn't quite the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'd buy the IDI if it were closer and I wanted my wife to divorce me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

LoL, I want a RWD cruiser, a house on wheels isn't quite the same.

Just get an old Lexus GS or LS then. Way more of them available and no lovely motors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just get an old Lexus GS or LS then. Way more of them available and no lovely motors.

LoL, nothing around for $1500 or less though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

LoL, nothing around for $1500 or less though.

If your budget is $1500, the car game ain't your thing. Anything at that price is going to need that much more in maintenance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

If your budget is $1500, the car game ain't your thing. Anything at that price is going to need that much more in maintenance.

I don't expect it to be flawless, just a starting point. I'm trying to keep myself from going forward with an Evo next year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I don't expect it to be flawless, just a starting point. I'm trying to keep myself from going forward with an Evo next year.

You already have a turbo 4wd sedan. You are focusing your ennui on vehicles... look inside yourself. Why do you need so many cars so badly? (and every Evo around here is driven by an rear end in a top hat and is apparently lacking an exhaust.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

You already have a turbo 4wd sedan. You are focusing your ennui on vehicles... look inside yourself. Why do you need so many cars so badly? (and every Evo around here is driven by an rear end in a top hat and is apparently lacking an exhaust.)

I just like cool toys!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I am camping. Dumb ugly car, silly pointy tent, cheap-assed millionth-owner 4'x2'6" cargo trailer skinned with duct tape, just had a coffee and a sausage sandwich and I could barely be happier.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Why such a tiny trailer?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

I am camping. Dumb ugly car, silly pointy tent, cheap-assed millionth-owner 4'x2'6" cargo trailer skinned with duct tape, just had a coffee and a sausage sandwich and I could barely be happier.

That was my weekend. We like to wrap little brown-n-serve pork sausage with crescent roll dough and then roast-bake over the fire. So good!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

4x3 is a pretty standard cargo trailer over here. I'd do bad things to get my hands on a 4x8 horror freight kit for the price you guys pay.

E:mines smaller because that's what was cheap near me on eBay like 8 years ago.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I just like cool toys!

then why are you looking at evos? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

then why are you looking at evos? :v:

RUDE

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
But accurate.

Also I haven't been camping in way too long. Truck is gonna see dirt a week from Saturday.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Darchangel posted:

Personally, I would have just used the factory Bose amp with the Infinity speakers we put in - the amp for that added a lot of work (2 extra RCA cables, interfacing with the factory wiring at the Bose amp.) We tested the system just like that before moving on the amps, and it sounded fine.

Usually you can't. Not sure if this is still the case but Bose has a history of running super low impedance speakers so if you put regular speakers on it the amp has no real power, and if you put a regular amp on the bose speakers it will overcurrent the whole amp. So you might have gotten lucky, I've seen people pop components during testing while trying to mix and match Bose stuff.

If Bose is conforming to more industry standards lately then yeah it would have been no problem.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

They are cool. Kind of poo poo engines from what I have read but it's just coooooooooooool.

Yeah, it's no straight six, sadly.

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm sorry, perhaps you've wandered into the wrong room. Automotive Sanity is down the hall, in the well-lighted, easily-accessible area.

cakesmith handyman posted:

4x3 is a pretty standard cargo trailer over here. I'd do bad things to get my hands on a 4x8 horror freight kit for the price you guys pay.

E:mines smaller because that's what was cheap near me on eBay like 8 years ago.

You'd think they'd be cheaper for you - you're closed to China, right? :v:

LloydDobler posted:

Usually you can't. Not sure if this is still the case but Bose has a history of running super low impedance speakers so if you put regular speakers on it the amp has no real power, and if you put a regular amp on the bose speakers it will overcurrent the whole amp. So you might have gotten lucky, I've seen people pop components during testing while trying to mix and match Bose stuff.

If Bose is conforming to more industry standards lately then yeah it would have been no problem.

That setup (OEM Nissan Bose amp with the Infinity-brand aftermarket speakers) worked fine when we tested it at the "is the head unit working" stage, and in fact, my friend drove it home and back to my place with it configured like that. I'm familiar with how Bose did it back in the late '80s early '90s - I worked at a shop that did GM-Bose and Nissan-Bose repair - with those silly 3-1/2" 3-Ohm (or less?) drivers in a module with an amp at each location. The current generation uses a single amp (aside from subwoofer), and it seemed happy with the aftermarket speakers. Plenty loud and clear. I did not measure the OEM speakers, though. This is a 2011 Nissan Rogue.
I should not that the aftermarket speakers and 4-channel amp were a late decision when we went into a shop to pick up the Maestro interface, which did not make me ecstatic, since it added basically a day to the install.
Also, my friend "helped." Mainly by distracting me a lot and losing fasteners.

Bose *still* won't tell you any specs, claiming that "it's about more than specs", which is code for "we don't want you to know exactly how much we're loving you over." Seriously, the drivers were paper and foam single-way with puny motor structures. There were tweeters in the front, mitigating the single door driver a bit, but not in the rear. The amp, at least, is a reasonable size for maybe 50W x 4 continuous. The subwoofer had it's own amp, but in this case, the whole thing barely registered as a woofer, much less a subwoofer. The 6x9s in the front doors (kudos for that, Nissan) probably put out more bass, especially after upgrading.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Used the FreeT to haul a ton of poo poo from mom's house. On the way back it started overheating and I smelled coolant. Something popped under the hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SEUM11frIQ

Good thing I'm $11 into this car! Hopefully just a hose as I'd like to beat the poo poo out of this car a bit longer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Darchangel posted:

I'm familiar with how Bose did it back in the late '80s early '90s - I worked at a shop that did GM-Bose and Nissan-Bose repair - with those silly 3-1/2" 3-Ohm (or less?) drivers in a module with an amp at each location.

Right, they were usually half ohm, which made for super efficient small amplifiers but also made everything incompatible with anything else. The amp wouldn't drive any other speakers, and the Bose speakers would pop any other amp they were connected to. (in the days before over-current protection). Buddy of mine had an amazing sounding aftermarket Bose system in his car back in the early 90's and some douchebag broke in to the car and stole just the amp. He had to basically throw out the speakers.

Sounds like they're conforming to more normal specs nowadays. And I agree if the amp worked he should have used it.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 31, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Right, they were usually half ohm, which made for super efficient small amplifiers but also made everything incompatible with anything else. The amp wouldn't drive any other speakers, and the Bose speakers would pop any other amp they were connected to. (in the days before over-current protection). Buddy of mine had an amazing sounding aftermarket Bose system in his car back in the early 90's and some douchebag broke in to the car and stole just the amp. He had to basically throw out the speakers.

Sounds like they're conforming to more normal specs nowadays. And I agree if the amp worked he should have used it.

They do seem to be a bit more "normal" now, likely to reduce costs associated with custom non-standard hardware. Other than the less than thumpy subwoofer, the system actually sounded decent. It's also worth noting that the Rogue's Bose amp took normal line level inputs from the Pioneer head as well, provided by an aftermarket harness adapter.
We refitted several GM--Bose cars with "normal" 3.5" speakers in the modules with amps removed and a standard GM or aftermarket head. Often, it was prohibitively expensive to repair the Bose head and/or one or more of the amps. they were never great sounding, in my opinion. The tailored ported enclosures and longer excursion suspension on the speakers helped extend the bass a bit, but there was no getting around the fact that, at least on the GM systems, it was just 4 3.5" drivers. At least the Nissan-Bose systems in the Maxima had 6x9s in the rear deck, in modules similar to the GM system.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Used the FreeT to haul a ton of poo poo from mom's house. On the way back it started overheating and I smelled coolant. Something popped under the hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SEUM11frIQ

Good thing I'm $11 into this car! Hopefully just a hose as I'd like to beat the poo poo out of this car a bit longer.

You've discombobulated the Spurving bearing, or possibly the panametric fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Good cat thread. Now we go cook.

• Locked thread