Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ArfJason posted:

"I'm gonna open the door"

*throws dice, 4, 2 and 4*

"Uhmmm... what now"

"uhhhh i guess since im the master i throw too"

*throws dice, 6-3-1*

"They add up to more so I guess you dont open the door?"

[this same scenario repeats for every single action for about half an hour before we give up]

Ignoring your DM was bad at math and using some kind of weird GURPS system, they could have at least made up a better failed action than that. Maybe you open the door but it alerts the guards, that would've at least moved the game forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Ignoring your DM was bad at math and using some kind of weird GURPS system, they could have at least made up a better failed action than that. Maybe you open the door but it alerts the guards, that would've at least moved the game forward.

its almost like they didnt know the rules or something

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
can someone please end this almost decade long question, and tell me how do you DO things in dungeons and dragons what even are the dice rolls for

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You do things when the DM is done telling you about your situation and the dice rolls determine if and how you can do the things. If you climb a rock face described by a DM you would roll dice and factor in some stat like climbing or whatever, this probably isn't real in D&D but could be, and say if it was a good roll you might climb it and if it's a meh roll you might just fall back down and if it's a bad roll the DM might make the rock face turn into a big mountain giant that kills you because you woke it up. It depends on the DM and the story their telling and poo poo. Watch the first episode of Stranger Things. Or the epic gamer comedy movie I've recommended, Zero Charisma.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's like if you ever played Baldur Gate or almost any other western and some JRPGs, and you've clicked on something to loot it or steal from it or tried to persuade someone or whatever, the game (the DM in this case) rolls a dice to see if you did it, based on some other factors from your character. And some games will have different results based on your character stats. And real world D&D is more dynamic than that because the only limits to that stuff is the effort on the part of the players and the DM.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think the rules of when you can do things changes during combat because everyone has to have turns and stuff but in just moving around I think that's how it works. And it's not like there's any bigtime solid rules necessarily, they just made some because it's easier than making it up yourself and you can focus on the details of the DMing and crap. So some people have "House Rules" like when you play Monopoly and your brazilian argentino chilean lunatic friends say that the banker gets paid extra to control the tray.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull got the gist of it right. For example, let's say you're attacking a monster in D&D. You roll a 20-sided die, then you have a couple different bonuses you add to that die roll:

1. Base Attack Bonus which is determined by your class and level according to a chart.
2. Strength Bonus which is a modifier based on your Strength stat. 10 = +0, 12 = +1, 14 = +2, etc.
3. Other modifiers depending on class, feats (which are like perks you can choose every few levels), weapon equipped, etc.

So let's say you have a Base Attack Bonus of +4 and your Strength is 16 (for a Strength Bonus of +3). You would roll the d20 and then total up your bonuses and add 7 to that number. That's then compared to the enemy's Armor Class, which represents the enemy's defense. If your roll plus the bonuses is equal to or higher than the enemy's Armor Class, you hit them. If it's lower, you miss. So in this scenario if the enemy had an Armor Class of 18, you would have to roll at least an 11 to hit since you would add 7 to get an attack roll of 18. Then you roll other dice to determine the damage dealt which is a whole other set of rules. That's pretty simplified and there are a bunch of other rules involved like Critical Hits and whatnot but that's basically how it works

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The basic idea is that for most actions you roll a die (most of the time it's a d20 in D&D) and add numbers to it to try to beat a target number. The rules are pretty complex but the underlying idea is straightforward.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh wow we were actually on the right track. than you all

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
never play4ed baldur gate or fallout or planescape torment or all those things

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ArfJason posted:

never play4ed baldur gate or fallout or planescape torment or all those things

Good for you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah actually they will posted:

ArfJason tries LARPing and loses a leg from clipping through a wall

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Good for you

:how:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

baldurs gate 2 is epic

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

yeah actually they will posted:

It's funny to me that ArfJason's tabletop gaming is as slightly broken and shittily optimised as his pc gaming

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

a buddy of mines been offering to play paranoia for a bit now, i think i might take him up on it soon. i miss pnp gaming, had a 5e game set in glorantha ready to go and then it just fuckin fizzled out

I got the new edition recently and it seems really cool, haven't had the chance to play it yet though. Played a few games of the old version and it's always a good time but you need to play with the right people.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the times i've played, the DM has exercised judgement in when to make something a skill check, so really only important actions (like persuasion, trap disarmament, or athletic feats) would get roles, and anything you'd do as part of your day-to-day life was just accepted to have succeeded. but there are also many different ways to play just one system, and some groups are more numbers focused / stick to more traditional rules.

other systems i've read about get rid of dice almost entirely (or entirely) and it's all about the collaborative storytelling aspect

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fungah! posted:

5's surprisingly cool, its all the best stuff from 3.5 without the crazy bloat

I think it's pretty decent too, but the problem is, when some friends and I tried it a while ago, we found that some things were a bit janky (like how an elk can gore a soldier in full plate with its antlers and kill him outright, quite easily), but also that some rules weren't clear, so some parts in the handbooks boiled down to 'do what you feel is right'.
Conversely though, in 4E it seems too hard to die, or kill things. You just take turns bashing at it for an hour, before one of you goes down. Overall I like 3.5/5 a little more I think, because of that. Fast combat is good combat.

I've also played Mutants and Masterminds - and as someone who started playing P&P games (occasionally) with D&D, M&M is so good! We didn't get to play it a huge amount (same with all other P&P games, sadly) but it's such a better, more flexible system I think. Much less rigid than D&D.
Since in the game we played, all the other players were typical do-good heroes like a guy in a powersuit, a stretchy guy, someone who can fly, etc. However I played as a (kinda) combination of a not-racist version of the Vietnam War-era Comedian from Watchmen, with the post-steroids strength etc. of Captain America, as well as the regen of Wolverine. So like, everyone else would be trying to keep the villains and their henchmen alive, and beat them up in 1v1 fights, however I'd just have an M16 and gun down a dozen of them in a single turn with a combo of abilities I have, then chain that into whipping out a L.A.W. and blowing up a vehicle of their reinforcements. (The rest of the group ingame hated me for that, and they were completely IRL shocked :D So good, the GM and I loved that moment - such a sudden dick move to the rest of the group, haha)

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I mean, regarding the elk and full-plate knight, sometimes you just have to interpret things differently. In this case then a charging elk could definitely kill a knight, the impact could shatter the ribs, puncturing a lung. A charging lance will definitely kill a knight in full plate. Or perhaps the antlers found a weak spot in the armor and broke through, at the neck for example.

This might be basic for many players, but it took me a while to realize that AC doesn't simply mean how good your armor is, it can also mean how hard it is to hit you. Like for example then an Animated Armor has high AC because it's so heavily armored, but a Drow Ranger has high AC because he moves so quickly (and has good armor, sure). Similarly with HP, I've often had a hard time to visualize combat, since a successful hit with a battle axe will probably always maim you, so how can you survive several successful hits? So now we interpret HP being lowered as more wearing you down. So instead of visualizing a successful hit as taking the axe right in the chest, then now a successful battle axe hit maybe be several exchanged blows, causing some bruises, smaller cuts that are mostly reduced by armor. If then a hit causes massive damage, or brings you to 0 HP, it is interpreted as a full-on, successful hit.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I always imagined a more comprehensive combat system where you'd take your AC from all sources (armor, dexterity, other things like displacement or camouflage, etc) split those values up percentage wise, and instead of getting just a "miss" you'd roll to determine why the attack missed. So for instance if your AC was 0, with a dexterity bonus of 2 and magical armor that lowered your AC by 8, you'd roll d10 to determine if your armor deflected the attack (1-8) or if you dodged it (9 or 10). You'd have to do some calculations and roll 2d10 if your AC contributions split up into something less than parts of 10 but once you had figured it out you'd use the same roll every time.

Likewise you could also use the same system for hits, your natural THAC0 would account for most hits I think, but strength and magical bonuses would also factor in.

Mostly it would just be for flavor but it might also affect things like armor and weapon durability. If you dodge attacks all the time, your armor is going to take less damage than a guy in full plate who tanks all the hits. And if you have a giant strength bonus or powerful magic weapon that adds significantly to your hit roll, you have a better chance of literally cleaving or stabbing through the enemy's armor, which would really gently caress it up.

I know why that kind of system isn't used, because adding another die roll and calculation to every combat roll would slow things down, but I think it would still be cool. Also I haven't played any version of D&D later than 2e so I don't know if those numbers make sense in the more current editions.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Also I vaguely remember how called shots worked and how a critical hit would affect a certain body part, but I think we used house rules for that stuff. I always thought it would be cool to have more interesting results of a hit depending on where you hit the enemy, I guess sort of like in Dwarf Fortress, but the problem with that is that it would have the chance to make HP worthless because if you could cripple an enemy in one hit just by getting a lucky shot on an important body part, you could take them out of the fight even if they still have tons of HP left

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremely steampunk posted:

I know why that kind of system isn't used, because adding another die roll and calculation to every combat roll would slow things down, but I think it would still be cool. Also I haven't played any version of D&D later than 2e so I don't know if those numbers make sense in the more current editions.

There's no such thing as THAC0 since 3rd edition and higher AC = better

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm really tempted on Gloomhaven, which is a miniature PnP game with legacy mechanics (you play persistently with a group, and some things carry over from game to game). i've heard that the combat system, and the world are both really great.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Gigante posted:

There's no such thing as THAC0 since 3rd edition and higher AC = better

Aw hell

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

How the hell did you got that out of the loop for the last twenty years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001