Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't played any P&P stuff in years, I really miss it.

same here. those were great times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

deliberately misquoting a post... not cool

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I always imagined a more comprehensive combat system where you'd take your AC from all sources (armor, dexterity, other things like displacement or camouflage, etc) split those values up percentage wise, and instead of getting just a "miss" you'd roll to determine why the attack missed. So for instance if your AC was 0, with a dexterity bonus of 2 and magical armor that lowered your AC by 8, you'd roll d10 to determine if your armor deflected the attack (1-8) or if you dodged it (9 or 10). You'd have to do some calculations and roll 2d10 if your AC contributions split up into something less than parts of 10 but once you had figured it out you'd use the same roll every time.

Likewise you could also use the same system for hits, your natural THAC0 would account for most hits I think, but strength and magical bonuses would also factor in.

Mostly it would just be for flavor but it might also affect things like armor and weapon durability. If you dodge attacks all the time, your armor is going to take less damage than a guy in full plate who tanks all the hits. And if you have a giant strength bonus or powerful magic weapon that adds significantly to your hit roll, you have a better chance of literally cleaving or stabbing through the enemy's armor, which would really gently caress it up.

I know why that kind of system isn't used, because adding another die roll and calculation to every combat roll would slow things down, but I think it would still be cool. Also I haven't played any version of D&D later than 2e so I don't know if those numbers make sense in the more current editions.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Also I vaguely remember how called shots worked and how a critical hit would affect a certain body part, but I think we used house rules for that stuff. I always thought it would be cool to have more interesting results of a hit depending on where you hit the enemy, I guess sort of like in Dwarf Fortress, but the problem with that is that it would have the chance to make HP worthless because if you could cripple an enemy in one hit just by getting a lucky shot on an important body part, you could take them out of the fight even if they still have tons of HP left

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Gigante posted:

There's no such thing as THAC0 since 3rd edition and higher AC = better

Aw hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Plutonis posted:

How the hell did you got that out of the loop for the last twenty years

the last time i played a tabletop game using D&D rulesets was 20 years ago